[SOLVED] ASUS P6T WS PRO ACCIDENTALY PUT USB IN FIREPORT

Dooobrila

Commendable
Feb 22, 2019
Hi all,
I have problem with my motherboard, accidentaly I put cable of front USB in to Fireport ( red port, instead of USB - blue ) on motherboard, and then I saw black smoke around second PCI-E port, I turned off PC emediatly.
Next time when I turned on PC my usb RGB key boadd lights up but not working, same as mouse. After a while PC freezes out and I turned it off.
I am good with soldering and I have soldering station, but I do not know where to start so please help me.

Thank you

Last edited:
Solution
If there was smoke from around the second PCIe slot look for burn marks. I would honestly bet that the smoke came from under the slot and was a trace in the motherboard layer itself and not visible.

Motherboards use multiple layers to be able to route all the traces needed to connect everything. If it is a trace its irreparable as I don't even know of the tool required to remove a layer.

You can also look on the back side of the board for any damage marks.
As good at soldering as you may be odds are the damage is done to internal traces and not to external components. Plus most motherboard, even as old as that one, utilize wave and micro soldering which requires precision machines as any heat can greatly and very quickly damage motherboard components.

You will probably be best off getting a new board/system.

Dooobrila

Commendable
Feb 22, 2019
Thank you for fast response (y), but I would like to try to repair this motherboard because right now it is defective anyway.
Can you tell me where to look for a malfunction on board ?

If there was smoke from around the second PCIe slot look for burn marks. I would honestly bet that the smoke came from under the slot and was a trace in the motherboard layer itself and not visible.

Motherboards use multiple layers to be able to route all the traces needed to connect everything. If it is a trace its irreparable as I don't even know of the tool required to remove a layer.

You can also look on the back side of the board for any damage marks.

Reactions: Dooobrila
Solution