[SOLVED] ASUS P6X58D-E won't boot. Only flashing red power light.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bingoperroso

Reputable
Oct 30, 2017
Goodnight everyone, I come here to ask what is the current state of my PC. It was working just as usual in the morning, I shut it off for lunch, cleaned my room, only moved it ever so slightly to sweep the floor, disconnected the keyboard to clean it (Not waterboarding it with a hose), plugged it in again and now it won't turn on.

As the the title says, it won't boot and the only sign I've got is this flashing red light:
View: https://youtu.be/JInj5HAYt-w

The motherboard was bought used from ebay back in september 2019 (to replace the previous dead one) with the only issues being that 2 USB ports have died along the way.
Another shady component I'd call is the current PSU, a Cougar VTC 600W that I got new and replaced in mid 2020 (To replace the previous PSU which was about to burn down my house).

I saw another thread with the same exact model and problem and it turned out the MOBO was dead. Here it is: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ep-codes-constent-flashing-red-light.3415508/
However, as the blinking occurs less often in my case, I have faint hope that my problem is something else because I wouldn't be mad but disappointed that I killed my PC just because I cleaned my room and the keyboard 🙃.

The rest of the components are:
-i7 950 running at factory speed
-24GB DDR3 (4GB*6) G.Skill Ripjaws
-EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
-Kingston HDD for OS
-SeaGate HDD for storage.

Praying and waiting for any of your help which I would be forever thankful.

Solution
check if all components are still connected properly (HDDs, GPU, RAM, power cables inside and outside ), unplug and reconnect to be sure

try using only one RAM, CPU, GPU, PSU, monitor
unplug everything else (USB, HDDs, LAN, ...)

replace the CMOS battery of the motherboard with a new one
could be the motherboard or the PSU as well

the red light is the internal power on button, it´s flashing because the motherboard tries to power on but fails
check if all components are still connected properly (HDDs, GPU, RAM, power cables inside and outside ), unplug and reconnect to be sure

try using only one RAM, CPU, GPU, PSU, monitor
unplug everything else (USB, HDDs, LAN, ...)

replace the CMOS battery of the motherboard with a new one
could be the motherboard or the PSU as well

the red light is the internal power on button, it´s flashing because the motherboard tries to power on but fails

Solution

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
As said above, I'd reseat all connections, specially when system is unplugged check if RAM is completely seated in slots.

This happened to me once. Unplugged evreything from case, gently moved it to other room and it wouldn't POST/boot. Checked RAM, one felt like it needed some pushing, pushed it gently down and it worked.

In a system with that age changing the CMOS battery is a valid point too, specially if it's never changed. You unplugged the system, if battery is dead it couldn't hold BIOS configuration.

Bad PSU fried some parts of the board before (USB2 ports?) well the board might have failed completely now.

I also wounldn't be surpried if that PSU is dead too. Not sure on this but I think the Cougar VTC 600W is a meh or low quality PSU made by HEC?

And for future reference, don't get bad or meh quality PSUs. That's the most important component in a PC if you ask me.

bingoperroso

Reputable
Oct 30, 2017
Well this is akward.
As it turns out, the computer just came back to life by itself.

It wouldn't turn on despite working as usual just on wednesday last week. Two days later on friday, I took it with my family member technician. He called yesterday to make me know that when he tried to turn it on, it actually did. He didn't touch any iternals or anything, he just connected the cables, pressed the power button and the computer turned on and worked without any issue. So here I am today writing in it. The pc just wanted to breath some fresh air it seems...

Status
Not open for further replies.