Question Asus P8p67 pro & the I7-3770k cpu (10 years old !)

Oct 9, 2024
I'm having problems with the two - the CPU refuses to boot, turning off as soon as I turn my PC on. It's an Ivy Bridge CPU 3rd gen? which ASUS say is compatible with my board. As soon as I revert to the Sandy Bridge I5-2500k, the PC works perfectly.

Has anyone been able to get this combination to work? My BIOS is 3602 (the last released for this board). Perhaps I've just got a dud 3770k.

Some have got this combination to work but they haven't said how!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Asus P8p68 pro
Assuming you made a typo with the motherboard's model...
Perhaps you made a typo on the BIOS version? The latest on the site is version 3603 and not 3602. According tot he CPU's support list;
you merely need BIOS version 3203 before you can drop in the processor. Did you inspect the CPU's socket for any bent or broken pins? Inspect the underside of your CPU, take an eraser and clean it off. I meant CPU's underside, not the socket pins on the motherboard.

We're going to need a little more info. When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

Oct 9, 2024
Sorry - board is p8p67 pro. which ASUS says is compatible.

CPU: i7-3770k
CPU cooler: cant remember but its big (Artic something)
Motherboard: ASUS p8p67 pro bios 3602 released on 1/12/2012
Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance DDR3 (listed as compatible) running at 1600mhz
SSD/HDD: Crucial 2TB SSD
GPU: ASUS 1060 Ti 4GB
PSU: Seasonic 750W gold about 5 years old
Chassis:Lian -LI PF8 case
Monitor: Philips 27"

Using this cpu the pc turns off instantly - whirrs for a second, the cpu error light flashes on and off and then the machine stops). Replacing it with the original I5-2500k I have been using for 10 years makes the pc work perfectly, as it has done for years. Basically I'm just upgrading to the best LGA 1155 CPU I can (from the I5-2500k, which has never given me any trouble).

Pins on CPU & socket are all fine and clean - certainly no problem with the boards socket as I can just slip the 2500k back in and all is fine.

Thanks

From the ASUS website:
Product support for
P8P67 PRO

Core i7-3770K (3.5G,L3:8M,iGPU,4C,HT,77W,rev.E1)ALL3207 GO

Last edited: