Asus P8z68-pro gen 3 motherboard flickers on and off

flaksponge

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
Ok I am building a pc for the first time and i make no illusion that I am not an idiot. I was given an asus p8z68-pro gen 3 motherboard I have a 1000 w psu 16 gigs of ram in a Cooler master case with blue LED. I have an intel quad core chip in the computer and a 2 tb hard drive. a Zalman copper ultra quiet coooler. my graphics card is a raedon 7970 I was given all of these items by a really good friend ( 2000 dollars + of items)
I tried putting the stuff together myself and everything seemed to go fine except I couldn't get anything to show up on the monitor to go into bios( it acted like it wasn't plugged in ) and a red light showed up near the ram slots I turned the computer off and placed the ram in correctly and when I turned the computer back on .
The System flashed a red led over the cpu came on and the system started shutting off coming back on with a click every few seconds I was dumbfounded but quickly unplugged it once I smelled a burning metallic smell. I removed the zalman fan and checked the processor and I didn't see any burn marks and I sniffed around and I could deffiantly smell the burning but I can't pinpoint it. Did I fry something bad? Would brackets being offset from the motherboard cause this? I'm a complete newbie and I thought I was doing good. :/

flaksponge

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012

Yep I had all the plug ins that would go in it ran pretty fine ( couldn't see the bios because of the graphics card not working ) until the problem started

flaksponge

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
Don't you have to set them up I plugged the monitor into the intergrated graphics on the motherboard and it never did anything.... I didnt fry anything did I? Guesstimate I know there is no real way of knowing but has anyone else ever had that happen to them? :/

What is your CPU model? If your CPU model has the Intel IGP enabled then you can use it for troubleshooting purposes.

In the UEFI BIOS the Initiate Graphics Adapter setting should be set to [iGPU] or [PCI/iGPU].

flaksponge

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
Awesome thank you guys atleast maybe I'm not into a dark hole. Yeah it's not my money and I did watch a bunch of youtube videos that's why I'm at a loss. I am still thankful for the gift even if it's ruined and I will ship him the parts that are still good back if I need to . I did a lot of research but I am also trying to build the computer and take care of a family member who had a stroke so I doubt it was a good idea to try. Thanks! maybe there is hope yet I'm having the guy who bought me the parts look out it later !