Asus P8Z77-V LX boot order problem - how to boot from CD then HDD?

birket

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
I have a new system based around an Asus P8Z77-V LX motherboard running the latest BIOS version (1902).

I have installed W7Pro x64 and all seems fine...for the moment ;-)

Before installing my apps, I want to run some tests so I have run Prime95x64 for a few hours and have found no issue. However, I also want to run Memtest86 overnight. I have therefore created a memtest bootable disk. I need to therefore tell the BIOS to boot from the CD drive first. This was always very easy with older systems, but the number of options in this board perplex my evidently tiny brain!

In the advanced/boot menu, the following setup allows me to boot into Windows as normal:-

Launch CSM - Enabled
Boot Device Control - UEFI only
Boot from Network Devices - Ignore
Boot from Storage Devices - Ignore
Boot from PCIe/PCI Expansion Devices - UEFI driver first

I have tried umpteen variations of this, but anything other than these settings seems to boot to the CD if there is a bootable CD inserted (like memtest), but if there isn't a bootable CD inserted, windows fails to load.

What is the correct setup for this?
It always used to be quite simple:- Floppy/CD-ROM/HDD/Other.

birket

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

I will take a look. I really don't want to reset the BIOS as various settings have been changed and there are so many settings, I'd worry about getting them back to be the same. I also used the ASUS TurboV software in Windows to overclock the machine, so wouldn't I also loose these settings?

1) set boot order to HDD with OS on it, set CD/DVD drive as 2nd device.
2) to select the DVD drive (W/Bootable CD), durning Post hit the HOT key hat brings up a boot menu (This does NOT change BIOS) and select the dvd drive. On my Gigabyte MB it is F12, On my Asroc MB it is F11 (Think Asus also uses F11, But check manual)

If you can not boot to a HDD, after setting it to 1st boot device in bios, it could be that the BIOS HDD control does not match what it was when the OS was installed (IDE vs AHCI vs Raid). You can change from one to the other an see if that fixes your problem - ie if Bios shows IDE change to AHCI (or Visa versa) and retry boot.