Question Asus P9X79 - MemOK - POST - does not boot - no display - stuck on boot

Mar 20, 2019
Hi !

I'm just another guy who bought this board some time ago. I was really glad that had found a mobo which address 64GB of memory and had fun with it for the virtualization purposes. Never the less this mobo is a hidden surprise!

It works unless it sudenly stops, the day you need your rig the most.

• suddenly it stopped showing any sort of display - I'm using Nvidia NVS300. Back then I had no clue about the memory compatibility issues with ASUS, which does not apply to antyhing else which I've had in my hand, like MSI X79A-65(8d) (also X79), or old still working like a charm gigabyte based on FM2 socket.
  • you may hit the MemOK! button, and pray that finally it boots up - it will - sometimes after 9min, another day after 43min, there is no pattern at all, all you need is patience, and fingers crossed that it boots and let you utilize your configuration.
  • obviously you can give a try and patiently exchange your RAM sitcks, pushing them into mobo based on their suggestions, defined on one of the PDF documents, but in my case it did not change the overall situation at all.
  • I've been using the memory which is listed on their QVL list, ( corsair ) in my case 64GB, but I've been having another two sets of 32GB which have been exchanging from my other MSI box, without any success
  • MemOK! yes actually pushing it, indeed triggers the restart cycle of my machine, and probably started the negotiation of the memory configuration, never the less at the I've just lost the patience, as there were absolutelly no guarantee that the 45min wasted for accomodating the memory allignment, will cause that the mobo will be stable as rock again. Indeed there were period of time, that it was, but then please do not unplug the electricity, or does not exchange any of the components, unless you are brave enough ;)
  • yes I've been replacing my battery on the mobo, reseting bios
  • ofcourse, have been flasing bios up to 4801, but observed that 4701 seems to be more stable in my case.

for now I'm saying good bye to this piece of engineering, and thank you for all the efforts had been made to create this piece as it learned me a lot of patience which now can be used somewhere else.

this post is for you guys in case you stuck with ASUS P9X79 - which is not displaying anything on your screen, behaving like it is dead.
probably it is not, it is just talking with your memory, which are probably perfectly fine and will do it's job perfectly in another rig.
just be patient, leave it for some time, let it do it's job, and hopefully after some extensive period of time you'll see something on your display, never the less in the meantime, do not waste your time starring on your display, it won't change anything, and please do not restart the box with anger, as it won't help you either.

regards.

If you have a question about memory, I suggest you list the part number or link to it.
If you want to test for defective memory I suggest running MemTest86.

Since you don't list the memory, it is difficult to understand what the post is about. You seem to have had it working for some unknown length of time.

Mar 20, 2019
this post is for other guys who spend their time browsing internet for a potential solution of this problem. Among those entries which I've been able to found in the internet, noone mentioned that this board may take more than half an hour, to finish it's memory testing.

I'm not looking for any resolution, scraping this board at the moment, and replacing it with something is more reliable.

as per RAM, I've been testing with those modules:
CMZ64GX3M8A1600C9
CMY32GX3M4A1600C9
CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10

on this board: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P9X79/