Asus P9X79 Pro - failing to Boot (error AF)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

stephenp

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2013
Hi there,

I have an Asus P9X79 Pro board with an Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E. RAM is G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (approved by Asus) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231507
Video Card is GeForce GTX 670.

All brand new parts for a brand new build. I initially put everything together and upon trying the first boot I got only the CPU LED light along with the DRAM_LED. Calling Asus they recommended I RAM the CPU with Intel. I did that and the new CPU gave same result. I RMA'd the motherboard thinking that must be it. Same result! Finally I borrowed a friends computer and swapped out the PSU.

BINGO... Kind of.

I can now at least get the motherboard to give me a Q-Code.
When a single stick of RAM is in DIM D1 (the 6th slot to the right the 1st blue slot on the right) I get Error code AF (Exit Boot Services Event??) and the DRM_LED stays solid. Moving the RAM to another spot gives me error 61 NVRAM Initialization.

Here's what I've tried so far:

• Replaced CPU
    Replaced Motherboard
    Replaced PSU
    Build outside of case to eliminate possible obstructions shorting the board.
    Tried different RAM (not on the approved list)
    Tested approved G.Skill RAM in a different system (which recognized all 32GB)
    Tried holding the MEM-OK button to get it to autosetup the RAM. Flashes and reboots but ultimately stays solid. This makes me think it could be a RAM issue??
    Reseated the CPU. Confirmed no bent pins in the CPU socket.
    Tried with and without any drives or front panel connects made.
    Tried with and without GPU card installed.
    Plugged in a motherboard speaker from an old system (shouldn't there be some beeps??) It's silent.
    Confirmed the CPU Fan is plugged into the main CPU_FAN plug on the mb (not CHAS fan plug).
    The GPU works on another system and I've tried another working GPU in this system with same results.
    I've spoken gently to it and rubbed it's belly.
    I've (to the best of my knowledge) updated to the latest BIOS via the BIOS Flashback on the back of the system. First I tried the Converter since I didn't know what kind of BIOS it had. It flashed for a second and went solid. Then I tried the latest CAP version, renamed it to P9X79PRO.CAP and it seemed to load. It flashed for maybe 2 minutes before stopping. According to all YouTube videos this is correct. But there's no way to confirm since I can't boot...

What more can I try?!??

Thanks so much!

-Stephen

Solution
Hi,
On the motherboard there's a barcode sticker. The last 4 digits on that sticker stand for the board;s BIOS version.
Let's see firstly what's the original version.

stephenp

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2013

Thanks, I'll try that. I'm also considering ordering a new BIOS chip. It's still under warranty but the more I read the more I learn about failed BIOS upgrades and dead chips. Since I'm using a newer CPU I have to have one of the later (though not latest) BIOS versions. I wonder if there's any chance that the BIOS update (via USB Stick) failed on both boards... Asus has a replacement BIOS chip for about $15 (but they somehow justify a $9 shipping charge on what I know will be a padded envelope!) But on Ebay it's only a $6 difference and although most reviews are positive there are a FEW problems which require a new chip. Since I've waited so long I feel that the extra money to go through ASUS would be worth it.
Then again, at the rate I'm going this is just another desperate attempt resulting only in wasted money :( But if I order it now I should get it shortly after the replacement CPU arrives.

stephenp

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2013

SOLVED!!!

I replaced the mb AGAIN with no success so I kindly requested a new BIOS chip already updated. I received both the new BIOS chip (which I was CERTAIN was the issue) and the CPU (this is the THIRD CPU) on the same day. I decided I would try the CPU without the new BIOS just to confirm it's no the bios... AND IT POSTED!
I still had the Sabertooth X79 which I also tried the new CPU in and it ALSO WORKED! The CPU was identical to the first two CPUs which were RMAd (at least identical model-wise). There must have been something technically different in this 3rd processor that solved all of my issues... It also boots fine with my old, CHEAP RAM, of course I had already bought the "approved" ram at a premium just to ASUS would keep troubleshooting...
All in all I'm out about $200 in shipping parts back and forth and about 7 weeks of downtime. Next time I'll buy an eMachine :)

Thank you for your help!