Question Asus PCE N15 Wi-Fi card sees Neighbours Wi-Fi networks but not mine. Why??

Tommytongue

Reputable
Nov 9, 2020
Looking for ideas/solutions.

I have an asus pce n15 wifi adapter installed on older computer. All of a sudden it can not find my home network. It list ALL the Neighbours. Just NOT mine.

I install the same Wi-Fi card in a more modern computer but same result. I can see ALL Neighbours Wi-Fi networks and even 1 hidden network. (Not mine I have tried connecting to it).

I have checked router. It is broadcasting 5G AND 2.4 g. My network shows on my phone 2 other computers in the house. Both 2.4 and 5G

I have tried disabling the 5G (low and high) together and alternately. Still doesn’t see my network.

I have change Chanel’s on all networks to set Chanel’s instead of auto. Still doesn’t see my Wi-Fi.

I have tried with dfs on and off. Still no Wi-Fi.

What I find weird is that it sees all the Neighbours just NOT my network.

Yes my network is available on other computers, phones and tablets in the house and on the 2.4 ghz network. As this card is only 2.4 I believe.

Why is my 2.4 network not showing on this card when others networks are.

Drivers upto date. Win 10 upto date. Network card is an asus PCE N15

Any ideas please?…..

Ralston18

Titan
More information needed:

Modem: make and model? Router: make and model? (Or, if combined - Modem/Router: make and model?

Do I understand correctly that you have other devices that can see and use the your wireless network?

And that when using the wireless card in another computer the card still fails to see the wireless network - correct?

Even if the wireless card's host computer is unable to see the network - check the router.

Determine if the router can "see" the wireless network adapter. (You will need admin rights to the router.) The wireless card may be transmitting but not receiving....)

Try running the built in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Download the applicable wireless network card drivers directly from the manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure for your wireless network.

No third party tools or installers.

Failing the above:

On your computer run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Copy and paste the full results here.

Tommytongue

Reputable
Nov 9, 2020
More information needed:

Modem: make and model? Router: make and model? (Or, if combined - Modem/Router: make and model?

Do I understand correctly that you have other devices that can see and use the your wireless network?

And that when using the wireless card in another computer the card still fails to see the wireless network - correct?

Even if the wireless card's host computer is unable to see the network - check the router.

Determine if the router can "see" the wireless network adapter. (You will need admin rights to the router.) The wireless card may be transmitting but not receiving....)

Try running the built in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Download the applicable wireless network card drivers directly from the manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure for your wireless network.

No third party tools or installers.

Failing the above:

On your computer run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Copy and paste the full results here.
I am on Fibre optic supplied by Telus. The following information is taken from the devices used. The first is the modem (I think) the second is the Wireless gateway.

MODEM.
Product Vendor
Technicolor
Product Name
NH20T
Serial Number
CP2214GA934
Software Version
20.3.i.0485.15
Uptime since last reboot
2 days 23 hours 51 minutes 26 seconds
Firmware Version
20.3.i.0485-4629009-20231124070733.15
Firmware OID
65603da57659e85c5c6d5abd
Bootloader Version
20.40.1375-0000000-20200928115941-752ce4e29b33fdfa861d39bfeccbf62f41189338
Bootloader OID
5f71d05c58c6fb4e96687d26
Hardware Version
GCNT-K

WIRLESS MODEM

Product Vendor
Technicolor
Product Name
EWH1350TLU
Serial Number
TCH2220000390
Software Version
20.3.h.0537.9
Uptime since last reboot
21 hours 34 minutes 4 seconds
Firmware Version
20.3.h.0537-4529003-20230808124239.9
Firmware OID
64d21c1fb080d00c1302feba
Bootloader Version
20.30.1373-0000000-20200722120549-0f845d75656d0a7b008af4fa30150d7b51db59ab
Bootloader OID
5f182b8558c6fb4e96663965
Hardware Version
GCNT-P

Do I understand correctly that you have other devices that can see and use the your wireless network? YES. I can connect to my network with 3 other laptops 2 phones a tablet and another 2 desktops. Some on the 5g some on the 2.4.

And that when using the wireless card in another computer the card still fails to see the wireless network - correct? Yes but as mentioned ONLY mine. Neighbours networks can be seen and connected too.

Don't know how to do this.
But I am assuming it it transmitting and receiving as neighbours networks can be seen.

Troubleshooter only states not connected to a wirless network!... No other issues.

I have installed the driver direct from the Asus website. I have also re installed and re installed the card and driver.

NO third party installers or tools used.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : TradingPC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : lan

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : lan
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C8-60-00-8A-2A-11
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:56a:f17b:6400:7f65:d047:3c5b:fae1(Preferred)
Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2001:56a:f17b:6400:3c0d:5552:19b4:e454(Preferred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::99d6:407e:ed47:357e%17(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.125(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : June 19, 2024 10:49:48 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : June 20, 2024 10:49:47 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::a2b5:3cff:fe39:335f%17
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 315121664
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-2B-81-C2-73-00-21-70-60-8E-42
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:56a:f17b:6400:a2b5:3cff:fe39:335f
2001:56a:f17b:6400:a2b5:3cff:fe39:335f
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
Connection-specific DNS Suffix Search List :
lan
lan

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : ASUS PCE-N15 11n Wireless LAN PCI-E Card
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 10-BF-48-49-F1-13

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 12:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #3

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 13:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #4

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Is that the full "ipconfig /all"?

As I understand the above posted "ipconfig /all" results the source computer (Trading PC) is using (or trying to use) a wired connection.

Not wireless.

For comparison purposes please post the "ipconfig /all" results from one of the wireless connected laptops that is working correctly.

If you type 192.168.1.254 into your brower do you get some sort of a prompt for a login ID and/or password?

192.168.1.254 is the default IP address for the Modem (Technicolor NH20T).

The Technicolor EWH1350TLU is a router that likely defaults to 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1

The wireless adapter may be requesting an IP address from the "modem" versus the "wireless modem" which is likely the network's Gateway/Router.

If I found the correct information the Technicolor NH20T is actually a modem/router, it's router functions should be disabled and all network devices should be requesting a DHCP IP address from the EWH1350TLU thus being the network router/gateway.

Edit/correct the following generic line diagram to show your network:

Telus ISP === (fiber) ===> Modem/NH20T ---->[WAN Port] Wireless Modem/Router EWH1350TLU [LAN Ports] ---> wired devices and ~~~~> Wireless network devices

Not sure where the problem lies. Could simply be an error of commission or omission with respect to the Asus N15 wireless adapter configuration settings.

However, I cannot rule out the driver - double check that the correct Asus driver was downloaded and installed.

Manually download the applicable driver directly from the Asus website. Reinstall and reconfigure. No third party tools or installers.

Do not change anything on working computers. Just use their wireless configuration settings for reference and/or comparison purposes with respect to how the Asus N15 is configured.

Likewise do not make changes to the modem, router, modem/router as they may be.

Starting point being to determine why TradingPC is indicating a wired connection versus wireless.

Tommytongue

Reputable
Nov 9, 2020
Is that the full "ipconfig /all"?

As I understand the above posted "ipconfig /all" results the source computer (Trading PC) is using (or trying to use) a wired connection.

Not wireless.

For comparison purposes please post the "ipconfig /all" results from one of the wireless connected laptops that is working correctly.

If you type 192.168.1.254 into your brower do you get some sort of a prompt for a login ID and/or password?

The Technicolor EWH1350TLU is a router that likely defaults to 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1

The wireless adapter may be requesting an IP address from the "modem" versus the "wireless modem" which is likely the network's Gateway/Router.

If I found the correct information the Technicolor NH20T is actually a modem/router, it's router functions should be disabled and all network devices should be requesting a DHCP IP address from the EWH1350TLU thus being the network router/gateway.

Telus ISP === (fiber) ===> Modem/NH20T ---->[WAN Port] Wireless Modem/Router EWH1350TLU [LAN Ports] ---> wired devices and ~~~~> Wireless network devices

Not sure where the problem lies. Could simply be an error of commission or omission with respect to the Asus N15 wireless adapter configuration settings.

However, I cannot rule out the driver - double check that the correct Asus driver was downloaded and installed.

Manually download the applicable driver directly from the Asus website. Reinstall and reconfigure. No third party tools or installers.

Do not change anything on working computers. Just use their wireless configuration settings for reference and/or comparison purposes with respect to how the Asus N15 is configured.

Likewise do not make changes to the modem, router, modem/router as they may be.

Starting point being to determine why TradingPC is indicating a wired connection versus wireless.
Hi,
The "trading" computer is hard wired. That's why it is showing as such. I am trying this wireless card in this computer as I was having this issue in another computer that I need to be wireless.
I have pasted the IP Config/all for the "trading " computer again after the laptop but with the Ehternet unplugged.

Here is the IP Config / Al l for the laptop that connects. (I know it is named DESKTOP-Q5RVMR9 but it is the laptop!)

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-Q5RVMR9
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : lan

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : F8-A9-63-9D-FF-56

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 1:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 1A-EE-65-F5-90-54

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 2A-EE-65-F5-90-54

Wireless LAN adapter WiFi:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Qualcomm Atheros AR956x Wireless Network Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : B8-EE-65-F5-90-54
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:56a:f17b:6400:9de4:eaaf:7970:9b0b(Preferred)
Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2001:56a:f17b:6400:4596:13de:756c:a420(Preferred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::6bb0:5cd2:6811:471%14(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.113(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : June 19, 2024 3:40:27 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : June 20, 2024 3:40:27 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::a2b5:3cff:fe39:335f%14
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 146337381
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-2D-4B-39-A3-F8-A9-63-9D-FF-56
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:56a:f17b:6400:a2b5:3cff:fe39:335f
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
Connection-specific DNS Suffix Search List :
lan

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : B8-EE-65-F5-ED-4C

Here is the IP Config /All for the "trading" computer with the network card in it, that is giving issues. I have disconnected the Ethernet cable this time before running ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : TradingPC

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C8-60-00-8A-2A-11

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : ASUS PCE-N15 11n Wireless LAN PCI-E Card

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 15:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #6

as you can see it states WiFi disconnected. But I can still see a list of my neighbours networks if I select show available networks in the WIFI settings.

I have also noted that when I unplug the Ethernet cable I do NOT get the wifi symbol in the task bar just the symbol for no internet connection. (world with a no entry symbol)

The Technicolor EWH1350TLU is a router 192.168.1.50 it is in bridge mode (set by telus when I got it)

I can log into both.

I DONT UNDERSTAND WHAT I AM SUPPOSED TO DO HERE! or how to do it. sorry..:(

I have once again uninstalled the card and the driver. Downloaded the driver from Asus website. re installed driver and re installed the card. ....Same issue. My network not showing but neighbours are...
No third party tools or utilities used.

I have changed the WiFi properties to match the laptop exactly. - Made no difference.

I also changed the card config to match the laptop config as much as possible. There are a few differences. I have listed all below.

LAP TOP - That connects to WiFi no problem

802. 11b Preamble - Long & Short
AdHoc 11n - Disabled
Network Address - Not present selected
Receive Buffers - 256
Scan Valid Interval - 60
Transmit Buffers - 256
Wireless Mode Selection - 5.b/g/n

On the desktop ("trading" computer) that wont show my WiFi....

11n AdHoc - Disabled
802.11d - Disabled (also tried enabled)
Bandwidth - 20_40MHz
Beacon Interval - 100
Preamble Mode - Short & Long
Roaming sensitivity level - Low
Wireless Mode - IEEE 802. 11b/g (Auto also tried)

Hope this info may help.... and I appreciate the time and effort put into this.

Thanks

Ralston18

Titan
This:

I DONT UNDERSTAND WHAT I AM SUPPOSED TO DO HERE! or how to do it. sorry..

No problem.

Simply copy my line diagram and paste it into a new post.

Then what you do is simply correct the line diagram to show how your network connections are being made.

Edit/correct the line diagram just as you would do to edit or correct any sentence or text.

=========

The laptop AKA "Desktop" (per the posted "ipconfig /all" is requesting a DHCP IP address from the router at 192.168.1.254. The router is providing the IP address 192.168.1.113 with a lease time of 24 hours and the subnet mask is as normally expected (255.255.255.0). The MAC address for the wifi card is Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : B8-EE-65-F5-90-54

What I am wondering about is:

"The Technicolor EWH1350TLU is a router 192.168.1.50 it is in bridge mode (set by telus when I got it)"

In the above line diagram (if my diagram is correct) I would expect that the modem (NH20T) would have its' router functions disabled and all network devices thus requesting and receiving DHCP IP addresses via the EWH1350TLU at 192.168.1.50.

Looking back at the "ipconfig /all" Trading PC (when wired) is getting its' DHCP IP address from the modem (192.168.1.254) Not the modem router.

I do not understand why Telus set the EWH1350TLU to be 192.168.1.50 versus the likely defaults of 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1

As near as I can determine the EWH1350TLU is not doing anything.

Three steps:

1) Check which modem or modem/router is providing DHCP IP addresses to the other network devices.

2) Correct my line diagram.

3) Indicate what IP address is being used by each connected device and include the subnet mask. All subnet masks are likely to be 255.255.255.0 . If so just note that instead of having to retype for every device.

The IP addresses are not sensitive and are indeed used by thousands of small networks.

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-...vate IP address is,a home or business network.

Objective regarding 3) above is to ensure that there are not duplicated network addresses.

Tommytongue

Reputable
Nov 9, 2020
This:

I DONT UNDERSTAND WHAT I AM SUPPOSED TO DO HERE! or how to do it. sorry..

No problem.

Simply copy my line diagram and paste it into a new post.

Then what you do is simply correct the line diagram to show how your network connections are being made.

Edit/correct the line diagram just as you would do to edit or correct any sentence or text.

=========

The laptop AKA "Desktop" (per the posted "ipconfig /all" is requesting a DHCP IP address from the router at 192.168.1.254. The router is providing the IP address 192.168.1.113 with a lease time of 24 hours and the subnet mask is as normally expected (255.255.255.0). The MAC address for the wifi card is Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : B8-EE-65-F5-90-54

What I am wondering about is:

"The Technicolor EWH1350TLU is a router 192.168.1.50 it is in bridge mode (set by telus when I got it)"

In the above line diagram (if my diagram is correct) I would expect that the modem (NH20T) would have its' router functions disabled and all network devices thus requesting and receiving DHCP IP addresses via the EWH1350TLU at 192.168.1.50.

Looking back at the "ipconfig /all" Trading PC (when wired) is getting its' DHCP IP address from the modem (192.168.1.254) Not the modem router.

I do not understand why Telus set the EWH1350TLU to be 192.168.1.50 versus the likely defaults of 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1

As near as I can determine the EWH1350TLU is not doing anything.

Three steps:

1) Check which modem or modem/router is providing DHCP IP addresses to the other network devices.

2) Correct my line diagram.

3) Indicate what IP address is being used by each connected device and include the subnet mask. All subnet masks are likely to be 255.255.255.0 . If so just note that instead of having to retype for every device.

The IP addresses are not sensitive and are indeed used by thousands of small networks.

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-private-ip-address-2625970#:~:text=A private IP address is,a home or business network.

Objective regarding 3) above is to ensure that there are not duplicated network addresses.
I will address the above over the weekend. But just q quick question.

If the WiFi router (192.168.1.50) is not being used why do I lose Wifi on all my other devises if I unplug it?

If this adds to anything.... the "trading"computer that is hardwired is hard wired into this Router. This router is connected to the modem (192.168.1.254) via hardwire also.

I will post a diagrame over the weekend (hopefully)

This is a strange issue that I have seen many people report but I am unsure if there was ever a clear solution.

I would suspect it is something stupid in windows. If you can see the neighbors wifi the card is basically working. Since you are not actually connected things like IP addresses etc don't matter yet.

Maybe try to just change the SSID name in your router. Your pc should then think it is a different network....unless it somehow is looking at the mac address.

Ralston18

Titan
In reference to:

"If the WiFi router (192.168.1.50) is not being used why do I lose Wifi on all my other devises if I unplug it?"

I do not know the answer to that but I also do not know about the overall network configuration.

In Bridge Mode, the device's routing capabilities are turned off.

EWH1350TLU =this device?

http://resources-business.telus.com/cms/files/files/000/000/500/original/smart_hub_user_guide.pdf

https://device.report/bluetooth/130736

Hopefully just a misconfiguration error of omission or commission.....