News Asus PCIe Card Hits 512 Gbps With Four PCIe 5.0 SSDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
Misleading headline. They did not "hit 512 Gbps"! They merely launched a carrier card with the claimed potential to support such speeds. That's very different.

To "hit" that number, you would need to demonstrate using actual SSDs that can each hit 16 GB/s, which we have yet to see.

Too bad this is falling on deaf ears. I've never seen any evidence that Mark Tyson reads these comments.
: (

USAFRet

Titan
Misleading headline. They did not "hit 512 Gbps"! They merely launched a carrier card with the claimed potential to support such speeds. That's very different.

To "hit" that number, you would need to demonstrate using actual SSDs that can each hit 16 GB/s, which we have yet to see.

Too bad this is falling on deaf ears. I've never seen any evidence that Mark Tyson reads these comments.
: (
What motherboard do I need to put 3 of these in a RAID 0 config?
I need moar FPS in Minecraft.

wr3zzz

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Article like this on tech site like Tomshardware should always include a PSA that these cards do not add more PCIe lanes to your PC. I bought a two slot PCIe addon NVMe card because the compatibility disclaimer says both slots can be enabled with my CPU not realzing my MB already used out all the PCIe lanes. So enabling the add-on either won't work or needing to disable the MB slots, which makes it hardly an "expansion" card.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
Maybe with one of these in RAID 0 you could play Starfield at 60fps at all times.
I already discovered the solution to Starfield's little I/O problem. What you want to do is minimize "tail latencies". Whereas most consumer SSDs are just focused on maximizing best case and maybe typical case throughput, enterprise SSDs are optimized for exactly this sort of thing.

Solidigm's P5520 has a 99.9999th percentile QD1 random read latency of just 1.1 ms. I just bought a 3.84 TB drive for $311. It looks like the world might be catching on to this secret, because they're now back ordered and the price has risen to $333:

The down side is you need a cable kit (I don't recommend the PCIe U.2 carrier cards, as you'll want to mount it somewhere with direct airflow).

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
With what's currently available you can get 14x4=56 GB/s which is still pretty fast.
I know there's a way that my point is nit-picking, however the real issue I take is that they've merely announced such a product, rather than giving a proper demonstration of it hitting any given speed. There could be bugs or other issues which prevent it from getting anywhere near even 56 GB/s.

Therefore, the article should highlight the fact that these are merely manufacturer claims that have yet to be demonstrated, much less independently verified.

Status
Not open for further replies.