Asus PG348Q HDMI Port Specs?

crazedanonymouspcdesigner

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 16, 2017
This might be a dumb question, but does the Asus PG348Q have receiving HDMI 2.1 spec ports? And if so, wouldn't these then be better to utilize that DP?

Thanks for knowledge and informations!

Solution
As has already been said in this thread, HDMI 2.1 spec was only finalized very recently. There probably won't be any consumer products with HDMI 2.1 released for at least a couple months I'd guess.

And why do you care? HDMI 2.1 won't improve your picture quality or anything. Displayport is already capable of up to 4K/120Hz, which exceeds any display on the market that I'm aware of.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
As has already been said in this thread, HDMI 2.1 spec was only finalized very recently. There probably won't be any consumer products with HDMI 2.1 released for at least a couple months I'd guess.

And why do you care? HDMI 2.1 won't improve your picture quality or anything. Displayport is already capable of up to 4K/120Hz, which exceeds any display on the market that I'm aware of.

Solution

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Well, just a heads up, displays usually only include the minimum version of display connector that's necessary to provide the display's resolution/refresh rate. So a 4K/60 Hz display would probably only ever have HDMI 2.0(a/b), even if HDMI 2.1 has been out for a while.

It's unlikely you'll find any products with HDMI 2.1 for a long time. What was just released is the HDMI 2.1 specification, which is not a consumer market release. It is material for manufacturers so that they can start developing HDMI 2.1 products. Usually it's at least a year or two after the release of a standard that you start seeing finalized products, sometimes longer. DisplayPort 1.3 was released in 2014 and I think there's still only 1 monitor released that has it so far. DisplayPort 1.2 was released in 2009, but it wasn't seeing widespread implementation in products until 2013 or so. Even HDMI 2.0, which was released in 2013, hasn't taken over completely, there are still more 4K monitors with HDMI 1.4 than HDMI 2.0. So, Q4 2017 is the release of the HDMI 2.1 specification; maybe you'll see early adoption in source devices like consoles, but I wouldn't expect to see displays with it until 2019, except maybe a few token products that only exist to say "we have the first display with HDMI 2.1".