Question ASUS PN63-S1 Internet download speed much lower than upload

rmiller1959

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
I have an ASUS PN63-S1 Mini-PC and am pleased with its performance. However, I recently upgraded my Internet service to a 2.5Gbps fiber connection. While the router speeds are where they should be, and the upload speeds on my ASUS mini-PC are essentially the same as the router speeds, the system's download speeds are much lower than they should be, although still very fast. The upload speeds have consistently measured at 1,900-1,950 Mbps, while the highest download speed I've achieved is 1,506 Mbps, and the norm is somewhere between 1,250 Mbps and 1,360 Mbps.

I've analyzed every component in my network between the router and the PC, and I have a couple more tests to run. I wanted to find out if there are limitations to the Intel I225V 2.5Gb network adapter I'm unaware of.

According to the ad copy, the system should be able to achieve "up to 2.5Gb speeds, with a "Minimum Category 5e network cables (within 30m range) required for 2.5Gbps operation according to ASUS testing result." My network cables are Category 6A, although I am trying to determine the length to see if that's a factor.

I've attached the network path from my router to the PC, a copy of the router's Speedtest results, and the Speedtest results from the PC itself.

My Network Diagram
Router Speed Test
PC Speed Test

Last edited:

rmiller1959

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
the 2.5 Gbps is an standard . they usually won't give you anything beyond 999 mbps which is 1 gbps /
To close the loop, I did a reset of Windows 11 Pro on my system, and the speed problem was resolved. The average download speed is 1910 Mbps and the average upload speed is 1965 Mbps. I would never have assumed an OS problem, and I don't know what specifically was causing the problem, whether the OS or an app, but it's fixed now.