Asus PQ321Q 4K Monitor Review: Top-Shelf Ultra HD For $3500

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
someone needs to make a monitor chart:If you are:FPS gamer who wants to shoot and frag --> high-end TN monitor is for youBudget gamer who wants the price/performance --> cheap 1080p TN monitor for $100-150Spread-sheet professional --> get Dell's upcoming 28" 4K TN panel if you need the real estateGraphic professional --> Get that Dell IPS Panel with 99% ADOBE RGD. if you can't afford it, you're a graphic enthusiast/hobbyist, not a professional :pGuy with deep pockets who wants the best of everything --> get this ASUS monitor here and that Sony 4k TV, they look better than any of the other 4K stuff

quartus

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
Mr Eberle, thanks very much for testing this monitor so thoroughly and writing up an excellent report. I've been a happy professional user of the 9.2 megapixel, 27 inch Viewsonic VP2290b monitor, a derivative of the IBM T221, since 2003 (over a decade now!) and can confirm many of your observations about using monitors of this class with an operating system (Windows XP) not really designed for them. When the desktop pops up on the screen at that resolution, all of the text and icons are really, really tiny - so small in fact that using a mouse to select them becomes a precise and painful maneuver. I can also confirm that up-scaling the icons and text through the operating system produces unsatisfactory blurring of desktop items. Applications also suffer from the tiny icons, buttons, tabs, thin lines, dots, and so on.The VP2290b topped out at a 41 Hz refresh rate, requiring an expensive Matrox HR256 graphics card on a PCI-X bus to get even that refresh rate. At that rate, the cursor stopped strobing when you moved it, so at least it was usable. Lower-end graphics cards would refresh the display at 30 Hz or even 12 Hz (!), the strobing cursor was intolerable, and selecting the tiny icons became impossible. However, the screen lag was so long that these long refresh rates did not appear to flicker. With such long persistence and with a computer struggling to push out 9 megapixels, games were impossible to run.Because of the above issues, I resorted to using the VP2290b at half resolution (1920 x 1200) for most windows applications. This sped up everything reasonably for applications that did not need the high resolution. For high-detail applications, like reading schematic diagrams, data sheets in PDF documents, technical photographs, and so on, switching over to 3840 x 2400 produced really amazing results, as you said in your article. Very fine details emerge, photos look amazing, no need to zoom and pan. The paperless office was in reach with a 200 ppi density. Even at half resolution (1920x1200), the screen had an advantage over monitors that ran natively at that resolution. The subpixel density of the VP2290b was still twice that of normal monitors. Your eyes didn't see the black lines dividing each subpixel, so that your focus would be on the image pixels, not the lines. A lot less eyestrain. It's too bad that running the darned thing is so hard!I am very glad to see that this generation of high-resolution monitors (such as the one you reviewed) can run at 60 Hz, and that there are graphics cards that can drive them at that rate without breaking too much of a sweat. It seems, though, that getting the CPUs, drives, hardware, operating system, and applications softwae to keep up with these things is still a challenge. I would think that fonts, icons, graphics lines, and such could be designed with scalability in mind, instead of designing them with fixed pixel grids. It will take a lot of effort on the part of Microsoft (for Windows) and others to truly allow these kinds of monitors to be accepted into the mainstream. Until then, I fear that they will continue to be of interest mostly to professionals willing to put up with their eccentricities for the sake of high resolution.- James W -

Doug Lord

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
Dell's UP3214Q will handle 60 Hz via DisplayPort 1.2. We've had this monitor in the lab for a few weeks now and it's quite impressive! Reviews of it and the UP2414Q are coming soon! - Christian - NICE! I thought the DELL's would be 30Hz only. Put the DELL and Asus next to each other and then ask yourself - if you are an enthusiast - but not INSANELY rich. Which would you buy! Also please review a Vizio Reference ASAP! Thanks.

Rainbows Of White

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
"140 ppi is still quite a bit better than the 109 ppi we get from 27-inch QHD monitors",It might be "a bit better", but it's a hell of a lot more expensive. I say wait for them to get cheaper, because they will.

pif666

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
Contrast ratio and minimal black level is just bad for dark movies and games ... Maybe this is highend monitor, but with lots of compromises - i would not buy it in any case

Doug Lord

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
Isn't 4K/Ultra HD just a gimmick for monitors under 55" ? Or is it truly worth it? - JoshkornThis is why I want to smack those schmucks over at CNET talking smack vs 4k. 4k on a <50" TV from >10 FEET away is of marginal benefit. As your screen size goes over 50" OR as you get closer than 10 FEET, the benefits become mor and more noticeable. I sit 2 feet from my monitor. So 4k is going to be noticeable on anything bigger than 12". I also sit about 8 feet from my 65" tv and my 120" projector screen. So 4k is a pretty decent upgrade. More important are the other upgrades that will come with 4k. HDR, 10-bit color, 384 zone local dimming, 800 NIT backlights, H.265 compression. None of these are going to come to <50" 1080p screens because the price of said screens is too low. Please show me a 720p TV that has the ability to compete with a top Samsung or Panny on contrast, black levels or color reproduction.

LiquidAMD

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
'is this retina' tells me that my UP2414Q is retina @ 48cm. 60hz, no scaler and a little choppy on my quad crossfire 7970 ghz. some games look great! only need 2x AA. writing uni stuff's a breeze with 3x landscape page display on word 11 pt font.

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008

You don't need a crazy GPU unless you're using this monitor specifically for gaming or 3D rendering.

Even if you wanted to drop $3000 on three-way SLI Titans or upcoming $1000 flagship GPUs, and you wanted to buy this $3500 monitor, with a solid high end CPU and other components to hold it all together.... which brings your total upwards to $7500, this monitor won't even give you that great of a gaming experience.

8ms GTG and 60hz? That's pretty garbage by today's gaming hardware standards.

Not knocking this monitor at all, 4k 30" display, probably amazing for professional applications (photo/video editing, medical images, etc)

But for gaming? This thing is not what you'd want. Not even close, even if $7500 was not a big deal for you.

Triple monitor 144hz 1ms monitors would be one far better solution.

The upcoming 2560 x 1440, 1ms, 120hz, Gsync enabled ROG Swift is another good gaming choice.

But a 4k, 60hz, 8msGTG? Pfff. lol. Hell no.

grokem

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
Thanks for providing some feel for what this monitor is like to use one the desktop and what it takes to get it working properly. I wrote an article about the "Sorry state of the display industry" 3 years ago and maybe I need to write a followup. The partially sad thing is that the same things are still an issue. The state of Windows support for high DPI and connection options continue to be the main reason adoption is slow. At least that is a change from manufactures slow to deciding to build high DPI monitors to manufactures slow to release a lot of monitors.

grokem

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
Thanks for providing some feel for what this monitor is like to use one the desktop and what it takes to get it working properly. I wrote an article about the "Sorry state of the display industry" 3 years ago and maybe I need to write a followup. The partially sad thing is that the same things are still an issue. The state of Windows support for high DPI and connection options continue to be the main reason adoption is slow. At least that is a change from manufactures slow to deciding to build high DPI monitors to manufactures slow to release a lot of monitors.

sirhawk

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
Why not go with one of those Visio 50" 4k monitors coming out for a grand? They are supposed to have HDMI 2.0 and I am sure by this summer there will be a vid card that supports the new HDMI. And 50" is big enough to not have your eyes straining from the small text. True, you would have to be a little further away from your desk, but that's what I'm gonna do.....

randomoneh

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
When can we expect 2160p monitors that don't have to imitate Eyefinity / Surround setups (MST) to work? I expect many different problems to arise from MST so I'd like to avoid it and just go straight to SST.

jenniferrhicks

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014
m­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­y­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­ n­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­e­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­i­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­g­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­h­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­b­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­o­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­r’­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­s ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­s­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­i­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­s­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­t­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­e­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­r­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­-­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­in-­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­law ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­makes ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­$76 ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­hourly ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­on ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­the ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­computer. ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­She ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­has ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­been ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­without ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­work ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­for ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­six ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­months ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­but ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­last ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­month ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­her ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­income ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­was ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­$14418 ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­just ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­working ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­on ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­the ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­computer ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­for ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­a ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­fe­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­w ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­ho­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­urs. ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­vi­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­sit ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­t­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­h­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­e ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­si­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­te­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­………….. ..www.J­­o­­­b­s­wo.C­­??

johndoee

Reputable
Mar 1, 2014
just imagine the amount of white GMO pasta you have to eat during the year to find that monitor affordable for the average Joe!

johndoee

Reputable
Mar 1, 2014
just imagine the amount of white GMO pasta you have to eat during the year to find that monitor affordable for the average Joe!

bunnymaid

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014
This looks like a regular sharp monitor, only with an ASUS sticker on.Compare and contrast with:https://www.sharpusa.com/ForBusiness/PresentationProducts/ProfessionalLCDMonitors/PNK321.aspxNote the shape of the stand.The menus in this article are all sharp menus too. They are from PN- Series devices.

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
You guys have this all wrong! DO NOT BUY THE ASUS PQ321Q!! Wait and be patient. The PQ321Q has a great many flaws. The true next generation 4K monitor should have all of the following:

1) Single tile display --> the Asus PQ321Q uses a multiple tiled display and is not a true 4K resolution single tile monitor

2) HDMI 1.5 and DisplayPort 1.3 --> both specs officially support 4K

3) Dynamic refresh rate --> all future monitors will no longer require a built in scaler and will allow the video signal from the video card to drive refresh rates, frame rendering rates, and all of the color and contrast settings. No more OSD in future monitors.

Last, but not least wait for the competition to drive down prices on the future 4K gaming monitors. It's just too early to invest thousands of dollars into the very immature 4K market. If you aren't listening to this advice, I know I'll be saying "I told you so..." in the near future.

bunnymaid

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014

Dream on, without the early adopters, the proles do not get anything. No pioneers, no future.

Oh, its a single display @ 30 Hz, so what's all this tiled stuff?

Besides, I already have an 84" LG 4K in the showroom... It's ok I guess. Google streetview is life size...

ceberle

Contributing Editor
Editor
Dec 20, 2012

The first-gen 31.5" 4K panels (Sharp parts) are tiled in the sense that two scalars are used, one for each half of the screen. This means you have to either input your signal over two HDMI connections or use DisplayPort 1.2 with its multi-stream feature. It's quite easy to do this as long as you have the proper video card and the newest drivers. In our Dell UP3214Q review, it worked without issue when connected to an older Radeon HD7770 card via DisplayPort. Check out either review for the connection procedure.

-Christian-

Status
Not open for further replies.