[SOLVED] ASUS Prime B250M-A new SSD M.2 not showing

Aug 25, 2020
Hi,
I just got a second M.2 SSD in addition to my 250gb M.2 SSD but my motherboard doesn't seem to show the newly installed ssd anywhere.

Can't see it in BIOS or anywhere else on my pc. The motherboard should support a second M.2, as there is a slot where I installed it and is says so in the specs. What should I do to get the SSD working?
I already updated the BIOS and it didnt work and there are no other (SATA) drives installed or connected.

(Current and main SSD, installed in the top slot on the motherboard) WD Black NVMe SSD M.2 250 GB

(New additional SSD, installed in the bottom slot on the motherboard) WD Black NVMe SSD 2018 M.2 500 GB

(Motherboard) ASUS Prime B250M-A

(Running on) Windows 10 PRO x64

Solution
Check if the ssd is showing in windows disk management
Check the correct seating of the m.2 ssd
Try untighten the screw a bit

Check the new ssd in the other m.2 slot
Should show up in bios or if you boot Ubuntu live or similar from USB

Reset the bios by jumper

Reset the bios by jumper

Reactions: Boris345
Solution
Aug 25, 2020

Reset the bios by jumper

Reset the bios by jumper

Thank you for your quick reply!
Can I just switch it out with the other SSD, since windows is installed on the other SSD?

Aug 25, 2020
For testing don't use the windows ssd in the other slot. Just to have a look if your new ssd is doa or not

I did this and it showed in BIOS!

Does this mean that the other M.2 port on my motherboard is not compatible with the M.2 SSD I bought? I did check the motherboards specs before buying and I did read that it should support two M.2 SSD's...

Aug 25, 2020
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-B250M-A/

According to Asus, both ports are listed as NVME X4/32 Gb/sec capable..

I'd search thru the BIOS looking for assorted NVME port enable/disable options, as I'd guess that enabling the second port will disable a couple of SATA ports at minimum... (the Z270 boards had those options, I'd be surprised of the B250's did not)

Those exactly are the specs I looked at before buying! I have searched all of the options in the BIOS and especially the advanced settings. I can't find settings you mention. I googled some and found out that I need the PCI Express X4 Bandwith settings but that option doesn't show in my (recently updated) BIOS.

I did find the M.2_1 Configuration where I can choose between; Auto, SATA, PCIE. I tried PCIE but the new SSD again didn't show unfortunately.

Aug 26, 2020
Those exactly are the specs I looked at before buying! I have searched all of the options in the BIOS and especially the advanced settings. I can't find settings you mention. I googled some and found out that I need the PCI Express X4 Bandwith settings but that option doesn't show in my (recently updated) BIOS.

I did find the M.2_1 Configuration where I can choose between; Auto, SATA, PCIE. I tried PCIE but the new SSD again didn't show unfortunately.
This is as far as i can get. Did you end up getting it to work?