ASUS Prime X299 will not post

sjcbulldog

Prominent
Jul 8, 2017
I have an ASUS Prime X299 and Intel I9 7900X I am trying to build. I have built many machines in the past so I am not new to this. The board plus CPU will not POST. When I power on the machine, It starts to POST and the QCODE display flashes a series of numbers so quickly I cannot read them. It does pause for a little while at 60, then flashes an AF fairly quickly, followed by a 00 then reset. It then starts all over ...

This board has an OLED screen on the motherboards. It says CPU ...., followed by Memory ...., followed by CPU ...., followed by Memory ...., then reset.

Right now I have a 1365 Thermaltake Power Supply, a single stick of RAM, the CPU, and a GTX 1050 TI graphics card. I have both the eight pin EATX12V1 and the four pin EATX12V2 connectors connected from the power supply. I have a USB keyboard attached to a USB 2.0 port. No other hardware is attached.

Things I have tried ...

Reseat the RAM, reduce the RAM to a single stick, tried a different brand of DDR4 RAM from another machine

Reseat the CPU, look for any pin damage. none found

Tried a different Video Card (GTX 680)

Reflashed the BIOS with the one and only release on the website via the ASUS flashback capability.

Any other suggestions before I return the board and CPU? I can video the qcodes flashing by if it would be useful. I have done this in the past and picked them out frame by frame.

Note, the I9-7900X is not listed in their supported list of CPUs, but the I7-7900X is, which does not really exist. I am assuming this should be the I9-7900X, which is the only I9 you can get today from Intel. However, just to be sure I have sent a question to ASUS about this and expect to hear back from them soon.

Thanks
SjcBulldog

Solution
Well, highly unexpected since it came out of a working machine, but somewhere between pulling the Thermaltake 1375W power supply out of the working machine and putting it in the new machine (a total of 10 minutes between the two), the power supply failed.

I had pulled the old machine apart, so I grabbed the PS from my daughter's machine and the system fired right up. I put the Thermaltake 1375 into her machine and it was also dead on arrival.

Quick try to Frys' to get a new power supply and everything is running great.

Now to see if I can get it to boot from an Samsung M2 SSD drive.

Thanks
SjcBulldog

Brett_Uk

Prominent
Jul 2, 2017
Looking at what you have tried it seems to be a issue with the cpu and mother bored, what model is your Motherbored, is it the x299-a prime ? Also there is 2 borers x299 prime and yes one does say i7 7900x but I think it's ment to say i9 7900x also looking on intel sight for all i7 series it don't even show an i7 7900x :/
Have you tried building it out of the case with nothink attached apart form the main parts needed, sounds stupid but have to ask, also is there a way to confirm on another pc that the power supply works ok or try a different power supply on your x299 ? What's the bios version is it 402 ?

sjcbulldog

Prominent
Jul 8, 2017
Well, highly unexpected since it came out of a working machine, but somewhere between pulling the Thermaltake 1375W power supply out of the working machine and putting it in the new machine (a total of 10 minutes between the two), the power supply failed.

I had pulled the old machine apart, so I grabbed the PS from my daughter's machine and the system fired right up. I put the Thermaltake 1375 into her machine and it was also dead on arrival.

Quick try to Frys' to get a new power supply and everything is running great.

Now to see if I can get it to boot from an Samsung M2 SSD drive.

Thanks
SjcBulldog

Solution

Brett_Uk

Prominent
Jul 2, 2017

awesome glad its all ok. 7900x is a beast of a cpu have fun :D