Question Asus Prime x370 Pro motherboard and 3950x not activating turbo boost

3ddudde

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
So, I have an "old" x370 mobo and i upgraded only the cpu for this newest beast.
All runs extremelly good, no crashes, no high temperatures, all runs smooth. Hell of an upgrade for me.
Except... the cpu never goes beyond stock speed unless i manually o.c. it... always runs at the stock speed of 3.7ghz and never activates the turbo boost of up to 4.7ghz

Anyone knows anything about this?
Din't find any bios parameter that specifically mentions anything about this... i'm guessing that it might be some limits from the motherboard

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
If you check that PBO is set to either Auto or Enabled in your BIOS this should allow the CPU to boost up to its full speed.
The 4.7 GHZ will only be the maximum for single core boosting though which means it will be a bit less for multi core.
This setting should allow it to go way beyond its default 3.7 GHZ though as it works this way on my Ryzen 3700X.

Andy

3ddudde

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
If you check that PBO is set to either Auto or Enabled in your BIOS this should allow the CPU to boost up to its full speed.
The 4.7 GHZ will only be the maximum for single core boosting though which means it will be a bit less for multi core.
This setting should allow it to go way beyond its default 3.7 GHZ though as it works this way on my Ryzen 3700X.

Andy

Thanx :)
Will check it out
Actually I think that it is enabled...

Last edited:
Thanx :)
Will check it out
Actually I think that it is enabled...
In addition be sure you've the latest AMD chipset drivers installed and are using the AMD Ryzen Balanced power plan, unaltered. Re-install the drivers if you've updated BIOS or installed the processor since you first installed them as it's a conditional install based on hardware configuration.

Also, some more things to ensure are enabled in BIOS:

enable AMD Cool-N-Quiet
enable Advanced C-States
enable Processor CPPC
enable CPPC preferred Cores

They may be called something slightly different. Don't leave the settings in AUTO or DEFAULT as mobo mfr's frequently have those set incorrectly. I've also found using 1Usmus's power plan for Ryzen processors is even better than AMD's, at least in my system.

Reactions: 3ddudde

3ddudde

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
In addition be sure you've the latest AMD chipset drivers installed and are using the AMD Ryzen Balanced power plan, unaltered. Re-install the drivers if you've updated BIOS or installed the processor since you first installed them as it's a conditional install based on hardware configuration.

enable AMD Cool-N-Quiet
enable Advanced C-States
enable Processor CPPC

They may be called something slightly different. Don't leave the settings in AUTO or DEFAULT as mobo mfr's frequently have those set incorrectly. I've also found using 1Usmus's power plan for Ryzen processors is even better than AMD's, at least in my system.

Will check it and give some feedback

Thank you guys :)

3ddudde

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010

enable AMD Cool-N-Quiet
enable Advanced C-States
enable Processor CPPC

Done all that, installed those energy plans, got latest amd drivers installed but it still stays at 3.7ghz max

3ddudde

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
Are you by any chance trying to undervolt or otherwise adjust VCore voltage?

Nope.... i just want to try to make it work as it should, as 3.7ghz stock and ramp up to 4.7ghz if something more demanding happens, for example like 3d rendering - at least that was the idea i had... like, stock speed in normal use and turbo speed when something demands more power.
Not changing anything related to any voltage anywhere