Question Asus Prime z370-a II memory issues

imthebigchief

Honorable
Nov 26, 2014
I'm having memory issues on this new build:

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II
Intel Core i5-9600K
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666 (PC4 21300) Desktop Memory Model CMK16GX4M4A2666C16

The memory is on their QVL list

All 4 sticks work in the board. All 4 slots work on the board. However, it won't post with more than 2 sticks in the board, and it doesn't matter which slots they are in. It will always post with only 2 sticks, and will never post with more than 2.

I have not yet been into the bios setup when I have been able to get it to post.

Any ideas?

imthebigchief

Honorable
Nov 26, 2014
After looking further, it may have been Newegg that screwed me. The memory that I received was version 3.2, which is not listed on the QVL list. The Newegg listing has photos, and I checked the photo, which when zoomed, shows version 5.29, which is on the QVL. I'm not sure if that matters, or not, but I thought I'd add that, if it was important and someone has any ideas about this problem.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233698

imthebigchief

Honorable
Nov 26, 2014
I updated the bios and it seems to be working fine. I was planning to try that, but I thought maybe I'd get an easier answer on here. I did wait until I called ASUS support, because I wanted them to tell me to do it and have a case number, in the event of catastrophic failure. That way they couldn't blame a faulty board on me for updating the bios when I should not have.

Thanks y'all!

imthebigchief

Honorable
Nov 26, 2014
Well - not so fast.

It appears to be the board. Upgrading the bios let it post with all 4 memory modules, and the bios recognized that there were 4 of them in there, so I assumed that it was fixed after the bios flash. However, when I tried to install Windows, it kept failing with corruption issues. Even though the bios recognized all 4 sticks, they were not working properly. Memtest gave the same results as the situation before the bios upgrade. No errors with only 2 sticks, and errors with 4, no matter the actual modules or slots.

ASUS has agreed that it is a MB issue and will issue an RMA, but what I plan to do is buy a 2 module set of ram, rather than the 4 module set and try that first. 2x8, rather than the current 4x4. I hate to dissemble the board and try to send it back. It is much easier to bend pins when trying to remove the heat sink/fan and processor, than it is when first installing it. I don't want to give them any excuse to blame me, rather than their board, even though I have a case number, they have agreed that it is a faulty board, and there is documentation. Besides, I will be able to use the current 4x4 set for something in the future.