Question Asus Prime z390-A + 9900K = 5GHz OOTB

I have this frequency across all cores even at idle but can't see why exactly. It resembles a fixed core ratio but none is obviously fixed, not by me. There must be some switch I cannot find in the bios . Can anyone suggest where it is. Literally I have everything at auto except the memory freq which I set manually. Cpu-z shows the multiplier as 50 but In fact that does vary slightly to 49.Not that I mind as the heat at idle is a mere 30c .
https://i.postimg.cc/mgW4vNRF/Untitled9900k.jpg

I suggest downloading and installing:

-Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility V6.4.1.205 for Windows 10 64-bit
Version 6.4.1.205
2018/11/30
31.18 MBytes
-IXTU

You can use this strictly as a Monitor in real time. You'll find it in the Utilites downloads for the motherboard.

Asus may offer tuning software that automatically overclocks the system. You may have inadvertently activated it.

The core freqs act normally otherwise. The larger the # of cores engaged, the lower the frequency. I just tested the cpu with Aida64extreme and with full load on all 8 cores the cpu freqs went to 4.1-4.2 GHz from 5-5.1 GHz. Temp went from 30 to 65c.

To sum up , the basic intel i9 9900K specs say that the base clock is 3.6 GHz, the "turbo boost 3" clock is 5 GHz and the "all core" clock speed should be 4.6 GHz.
Idle freq. should run @ 3.6 GHz, turbo speed is initiated (at some load level) for 1-2 cores, then will decrease from 5 GHz when a greater number of cores become engaged, and at 100% "all core" load, the speed should be 4.6 GHz.

Here, all cores run at turbo freq.5.1GHz at idle. At 100% load for "all cores", the freq drops uniformly on each core to 4.1-4.3 GHz.

I never see 3.6 and I never see a steady 4.6.

Package wattage goes from 32.96w to 170w at 100% .

I have changed nothing in bios except dram freq.

Last edited:
Ok, culprit found.

I'm sure someone mentioned this but I did not follow up until today. I have Windows Power Plan management set at High Performance. The advanced settings of the Plan puts the minimum and maximum cpu power states @ 100 %. That's it.

The Power Savings setting OTOH puts idle performance noticeably lower and variable as expected.I/m leaving it at high performance. A nice boost setting.

One mystery of the universe solved. Now to figure out why there us something rather than nothing. Another forum, I know.

Last edited: