[SOLVED] Asus PRIME Z690-P D4 ATX good ?

adast

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012
Hello i hope you having a wonderfull day today

i have a question about this motherboard im building a pc with an
I5 12600KF
32gb ram
850 power supply
with an NZXT H510 Elite ATX Mid Tower Case

is this motherboard will be good Asus PRIME Z690-P D4 ATX as i seen on awd website they running promotion on getting free game from the list

Solution
I might put extra for the motherboard a bit so I’m looking for better quality one but not over £200 pounds I’m not that great looking for motherboards always looking by ratings and going for the best rating at reasonable price if you could give me some recommendations on good quality motherboards
The Asus Tuf Gaming series is placed above the Prime series, so any board from the Tuf Gaming series should be ideally better...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
Motherboard | Asus ROG STRIX B660-A GAMING WIFI D4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard | £205.99 @ AWD-IT
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | £205.99
| Generated by PCPartPicker...

adast

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012
Should be fine as long as you don't have 24x7 workload. This is an entry level board with basic functionalities meant for day to mild to medium workload and maybe a little overclocking. If you plan to do anything more than that, get a better quality board.
Any recommendations from Asus for better quality around the same price ???

adast

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012
Any recommendations from Asus for better quality around the same price ???
I might put extra for the motherboard a bit so I’m looking for better quality one but not over £200 pounds I’m not that great looking for motherboards always looking by ratings and going for the best rating at reasonable price if you could give me some recommendations on good quality motherboards

The Asus Tuf Gaming series is placed above the Prime series, so any board from the Tuf Gaming series should be ideally better...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
Motherboard | Asus ROG STRIX B660-A GAMING WIFI D4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard | £205.99 @ AWD-IT
| Total | £205.99
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-06-13 14:13 BST+0100 |

This one is a good board with high quality VRM.

Reactions: adast
Solution

adast

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
| Total | £205.99
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-06-13 14:13 BST+0100 |

This one is a good board with high quality VRM.
Thanks!!

adast

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012
Were you looking for a Z690 chipset for a reason? Like overclocking, cause that B660 motherboard will not overclock the cpu, just saying.
i was looking for the Z690 for i5 12600k but people telling me to get the i5 12600KF as i recall i was reading that K version has its own gpu so you can boot the pc without the gpu right ?
and the KF is without it so i got already graphics card but cant really decide what will be better for future upgrades aswell as i never overlock the cpu so i cant decide whats better for the PC

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Well if you don't bother with overclocking the cpu is a B660 motherboard fine.

It saves some money to get a KF cpu, but yeah when the gpu might have issues the igp (gpu baked into cpu) could be really helpfull. Depends on what you want to spend.

I saw a what looked decent Z690 motherboard as well (has abit of mixed reviews), but have to say that for instance the onboard audio from that B660 will be better.

adast

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012
Well if you don't bother with overclocking the cpu is a B660 motherboard fine.

It saves some money to get a KF cpu, but yeah when the gpu might have issues the igp (gpu baked into cpu) could be really helpfull. Depends on what you want to spend.

I saw a what looked decent Z690 motherboard as well (has abit of mixed reviews), but have to say that for instance the onboard audio from that B660 will be better.
so if i get this Asus ROG STRIX B660-A GAMING so that means for future i will only be able to upgrade to KF cpus ?

adast

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012
You can put any 12xxx series processor (i3/i5/i7/i9) on there, non K, KF, or K. Just cannot overclock the K/KF series.
so which ever i put in Asus ROG STRIX B660-A GAMING either i5 12600k or 12600KF which one i will be able to find cheaper will be same performance ?
just with K i wont be able to overclock which i dont intend to do it

As mentioned above, you can use any 12th generation Intel CPU with the board. Only difference from Z90 is that you cannot overclock, which is pretty insignificant on modern platforms as they already have a robust boost clock for turboing. Whatever little you gain above that by OC is not really worth the effort or extra expenditure to get the feature these days, unless you want to do it for fun.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Reactions: adast