[SOLVED] ASUS Prime Z790-A vs Z790-P difference

reapzstar

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2016
Hey there!

I'm looking to swap my motherboard out for one of the above mentioned motherboards.
However, I'm not quite sure whether the additional price(which in my country is about 75 dollars more)is something I'd definitely spend on the Z790-A.
I saw that the VRM Power is 14+1 on the P version and something like 16+1 for the A, but I'm not quite sure what those mean.
Should I spend the additional 75 bucks on the A version or will the P be just fine for some overclocking and gaming?

CPU is an i5 13600KF

Thanks in advance for every answer!

Solution
Perhaps I didn't clarify, out of the two boards you've listed in the thread title, I can't see the ASUS Prime Z790-A unless you're referring to the WiFi version.

I see these two;
If so, then apart from the better aesthetics, the higher VRM phase count(2 more than the P), the heatsinks atop every M.2 slot, the bundled WiFi adapter and a better audio solution(which is lacking on the P variant), the two boards are identical. You're paying the extra 75USD for the things I just mentioned that are missing on the P.

I don't know how much they cost in your region but...

Lutfij

Titan
which in my country is about 75 dollars more
Where are you located?

ASUS Prime Z790-A vs Z790-P difference
https://www.asus.com/motherboards-components/motherboards/all-series/filter?Spec=524&SubSpec=183350
You sure you got the models for the boards right? There are DDR4 and DDR5 variants in there as well.

I saw that the VRM Power is 14+1 on the P version and something like 16+1 for the A, but I'm not quite sure what those mean.
Going along with what you're reading(which I'm going to add a grain of salt to), those are power phases, for the CPU and memory, meaning a better overclocking potential/power delivery to the CPU though the quality of the power delivered might be lackluster as past reviews have shown you can have fewer phases with better quality componentry be better than another board with more phases with bad quality componentry.

Lutfij

Titan
Perhaps I didn't clarify, out of the two boards you've listed in the thread title, I can't see the ASUS Prime Z790-A unless you're referring to the WiFi version.

I see these two;
If so, then apart from the better aesthetics, the higher VRM phase count(2 more than the P), the heatsinks atop every M.2 slot, the bundled WiFi adapter and a better audio solution(which is lacking on the P variant), the two boards are identical. You're paying the extra 75USD for the things I just mentioned that are missing on the P.

I don't know how much they cost in your region but you could look into Gigabyte's Aorus Elite AX.

Solution

reapzstar

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2016
Unfortunately, this board is 200 dollars more expensive than the P version and about ~100 than the A.
I was referring to the A WiFI, yes.
Would the P version's VRM thermals be within safe limits if I were to OC the 13600KF a little?
I saw a Hardware Unboxed video on youtube, where they were testing the 12900K, with low airflow, it peaked at 74 Celsius during Cinebench R23.
I'd only be gaming and this processor eats about 50W less than that, so I'm assuming I'd be okay?

Any thoughts on that?

You have to remember a 13900k consumes huge power with no overclock compared to 13600k. If the board can tolerate the heat and power from a stock 13900k it should have no issues with a slightly overclocked 13600k.
The vendors all claim that these boards support all the 13th gen chips. Now this might change when we start to see non "z" boards.