Asus ProArt PQ279Q Monitor Review: 27-Inch, Wide-Gamut, QHD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

student of sorts

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Great review. Thank you Christian for the well thought out explanation of features. I recently bought this monitor (thanks to your review) and checked its calibration using the Datacolor Spyder4Pro. What I find interesting is that this monitor offers three user selectable gamut modes: Standard, sRGB, and AdobeRGB modes. When I run through the calibration leaving monitor setting in default, I get the following calibrated results with 180cd/m2 brightness target:STANDARD MODE: 99% sRGB, 99% AdobeRGBsRGB MODE: 99% sRGB, 76% AdobeRGBAdobeRGB: 98% sRGB, 99% AdobeRGBSo my question is for those who have equipment to calibrate their monitor, why not just calibrate and leave it in STANDARD mode if the gamut accuracy is so good high in both sRGB and AGB? I know my results seem to contradict what you got in sRGB mode after reading that you recommend leaving the monitor in sRGB mode. I'm wondering if you were able to check the calibration in STANDARD mode in addition to the sRGB and AGB modes discussed in the review? I've created color profiles for all three modes and have decided to leave the monitor in sRGB mode most of the time except when working with RAW photo editing in Adobe Light Room within the AdobeRGB colorspace. But if I can leave the monitor in STANDARD mode all the time, that would be great rather than switch between both modes depending on task. (sorry if I am missing something obvious).

student of sorts

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Sorry for the repost. I noticed the formatting changed on my original post above.Great review. Thank you Christian for the well thought out explanation of features. I recently bought this monitor (thanks to your review) and checked its calibration using the Datacolor Spyder4Pro. What I find interesting is that this monitor offers three user selectable gamut modes:Standard, sRGB, and AdobeRGB modes. When I run through the calibration leaving monitor setting in default, I get the following calibrated results with 180cd/m2 brightness target:STANDARD MODE: 99% sRGB, 99% AdobeRGBsRGB MODE: 99% sRGB, 76% AdobeRGBAdobeRGB MODE: 98% sRGB, 99% AdobeRGBSo my question is for those who have equipment to calibrate their monitor, why not just calibrate and leave it in STANDARD mode if the gamut accuracy is so good high in both sRGB and AGB? I know my results seem to contradict what you got in sRGB mode after reading that you recommend leaving the monitor in sRGB mode. I'm wondering if you were able to check the calibration in STANDARD mode in addition to the sRGB and AGB modes discussed in the review? I've created color profiles for all three modes and have decided to leave the monitor in sRGB mode most of the time except when working with RAW photo editing in Adobe Light Room within the AdobeRGB colorspace. But if I can leave the monitor in STANDARD mode all the time, that would be great rather than switch between both modes depending on task. (sorry if I am missing something obvious).

MartSoCal

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014
So, do I buy the PA279Q for use with a new 2014 Mac Pro ?Will I realize the capabilities to use full Adobe RGB color space by connecting via display port cable into thunderbolt port.Perhaps it is safest to go with a Dell U2713H.

Status
Not open for further replies.