Asus Producing Netbooks in 2012, Starting Eee PC 1225B

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Sorry, Asus, 1366x768 is a no-go. Not supported properly by most software. 1280x720 would be fine, but this crap - no. Besides, design is too common and plain, I like Asus VX6 design a lot, do that instead.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]de5_roy[/nom]netbooks with amd apus will pwn atom...how about ultrabooks with amd apus...[/citation]
The CPU in current AMD APUs are not nearly as powerful as upcoming Ivy Bridge ULV chips. The GPU on the other hand is a different story (AMD is probably better in that regard but I'm not sure about these low end APUs vs IvyB).
Perhaps when AMD's trinity and Piledriver comes along, it'll be better.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]danwat1234[/nom]The CPU in current AMD APUs are not nearly as powerful as upcoming Ivy Bridge ULV chips. The GPU on the other hand is a different story (AMD is probably better in that regard but I'm not sure about these low end APUs vs IvyB).Perhaps when AMD's trinity and Piledriver comes along, it'll be better.[/citation]

think of the use of the netbook though. You're not doing anything CPU intensive on it, however, if you given the opportunity to play a game on it, you could.

AMD APU's were demoed with final fantasy 14, say what you want about the game, the graphics on their a step above most casual games, and it was able play it at a very smooth frame rate.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

CPU intensive? I'd like to have everything working REALLY fast, because netbook is all about mobile productivity... I don't want to waste time like I do now on my netbook, where I have to wait for 1-2 minutes before Ubuntu boots. So the faster the CPU the better...

if you got the money, an ultrabook-type laptop will fix all of that. vendors won't introduce that kind of speed and responsiveness to an entry level machine.
however, you might be able to find some llano or bobcat laptops with an ssd.. probably will take care of ubuntu's booting time. :)
edit: afaik ubuntu and amd don't always go well together, in terms of drivers and patches... that's both ubuntu (or any linux) and amd's fault.

marclee37

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
the amd e-450 is not new. it was released in aug-2011. i saw various netbooks equipped with e-450 for months. now comes this asus model makes me curious on this e-450. this e-450 really faster than the "upcoming" n2800 by 47%? http://www.blogeee.net/2011/08/amd-e-450-intel-n2800-premieres-mesures-de-performances/ i don't understand the language on that page. but be fair, the e-450 consumes at least 2 times more energy than atom does

teddymines

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
I'd much rather have one of these over a tablet. Has an awful lot of ports for better connectivity, a physical keyboard, and familiar form factor. SSD would be the next logical step as these evolve.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Nice, but nothing new.

Really would love to see one of these with an A8-3500M (4 cores @ 1.5/2.4GHz, Radeon 6620G, 35W), I think I'd buy one even if I don't really need it. :)

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
+1. cumbersome but more practical than a tablet.

[citation][nom]teddymines[/nom]I'd much rather have one of these over a tablet. Has an awful lot of ports for better connectivity, a physical keyboard, and familiar form factor. SSD would be the next logical step as these evolve.[/citation]

EDVINASM

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
[citation][nom]marclee37[/nom]the amd e-450 is not new. it was released in aug-2011. i saw various netbooks equipped with e-450 for months. now comes this asus model makes me curious on this e-450. this e-450 really faster than the "upcoming" n2800 by 47%? http://www.blogeee.net/2011/08/amd [...] formances/ i don't understand the language on that page. but be fair, the e-450 consumes at least 2 times more energy than atom does[/citation]

Good point:
Old news in terms of hardware! Come on ASUS.. Lenovo E325? Rings any bells? AMD 450 APU, priced around €330, were selling in November already..? Had Lenovo S205 AMD 350, AMD 450 is essentially the same performance wise. That means both su%$ at games and most of other tasks. Miles ahead of Atom but other than that complete crawlers.. When will Intel with NVidia finally step up? And hey, give us decent SSD options instead of HDDs in netbooks. Enough of bottlenecks as is.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]edvinasm[/nom]Good point:Old news in terms of hardware! Come on ASUS.. Lenovo E325? Rings any bells? AMD 450 APU, priced around €330, were selling in November already..? Had Lenovo S205 AMD 350, AMD 450 is essentially the same performance wise. That means both su%$ at games and most of other tasks. Miles ahead of Atom but other than that complete crawlers.. When will Intel with NVidia finally step up? And hey, give us decent SSD options instead of HDDs in netbooks. Enough of bottlenecks as is.[/citation]
You can also get a 1215B with a E-450 for quite some time. What the article is mentioning is that ASUS is going to introduce another EEE PC, the 1225B, with a E-450.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]de5_roy[/nom]netbooks with amd apus will pwn atom...how about ultrabooks with amd apus...[/citation]
In terms of CPU power Intel still has the upper hand with the D2700. Where Intel lags behind considerably is in the GPU department.

The best solutions is like the one ASUS reached with the VX6S. A Intel Atom D2700 paired with a AMD Radeon HD 6470M. Of course this solution puts this netbook among the most expensive.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Set your progs to hardware processing, E-350 works just fine. Dropped in a SATA3 SSD, full SATA3 speeds without any trouble. Runs 1080p video without a stutter, browses fine, I don't have any issues with slow down, maybe you're doing something wrong? Netbooks aren't meant to play Skyrim or encode video. The biggest complaint people had with netbooks was the lag that hit when they played 1080p on Youtube and other places. Firefox hardware acceleration and decent graphics processing are a significant boost in what most people do on netbooks. If you have CPU heavy loads, a netbook in general is not for you. The biggest problem with the Fusion machines was the price which was close to normal laptop pricing. They need to be cheap to fit in with netbooks.

[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]In terms of CPU power Intel still has the upper hand with the D2700. Where Intel lags behind considerably is in the GPU department.The best solutions is like the one ASUS reached with the VX6S. A Intel Atom D2700 paired with a AMD Radeon HD 6470M. Of course this solution puts this netbook among the most expensive.[/citation]

The VX6S is a horrible solution. It benches higher than the E350 on some tests, but for the price I could do much better. Desktop atom processor and discrete graphics will both be power drains as well. Complete loss of concept since netbooks are supposed to be cheap and low power. I doubt the Atom N2800 can compete without discrete graphics since it's still at the level of a D525.

quotas47

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
I have an Asus Eepc 1215B I picked up at my local retailer brand new for 300 sticker price. I love the little thing to death. Some of you will critique this, but I put 8GB of DDR3 1600 in it, and I'm going to put a little 128gb SSD in it as well, replacing the 320gb mechanical drive.

It already runs better than I expect out of a "netbook," and I regularly hook it up to my television to watch movies, and plug in peripherals to play games.

I don't want Asus to stop rolling these out. They're very portable, have excellent battery life, but are still comfortable to type on. The 12" screen is just fine, and the VGA and HDMI out to other displays anyway.

I'll take continued hardware progression, but other than that, the utility of my little netbook is unequaled.

quotas47

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
BTW, the 1215B has two DIMM slots accessible from the bottom on it, allowing for the two 4gb sticks I put in. AND it does read the DDR3 properly as 1600MHz during POST; doesn't scale it down to 1333MHz like I thought it would. (Samsung memory on 30nm process, great stuff)
In the article above, it says the 1225B only has 1 slot but I hope not. Maybe just 1 is free... or the other is under the keyboard as is sometimes the case.

I would expect the 1225B to go for around $400-450.

bassbeast

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2010
If its like the 1215B (which I own and love) I can't see how this will be anything but a big seller. my 1215B gets 6 hours playing 720p and has enough performance i use it to edit audio multitracks using Audacity and create drum loops with hydrogen. Since it will hold 8gb and the difference was 46 i loaded mine with the full 8Gb and the performance is more like a CULV than a netbook, its head and shoulders above the Atom units i tried.

I think AMD is on the right track with Zacate, recently I walked into my local Walmart and nearly 80% of the machines there, both netbooks/laptops AND all in ones and desktops were either AMD E-Series or A-Series chips. Everywhere you looked there was AMD Fusion stickers and asking someone I know who works there he says they are selling quite well. People want a good bang for the buck and to be able to enjoy HD and the new AMD chips give them that while being cool and frankly dirt cheap. Go AMD!

HexaPro

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
I think AMD APU's is alot better than Atom or any of that Android tablets. What's a tablet anyway? A smartphone with a giant screen and battery! I need a small mobile PC, not an oversized smartphone.

Status
Not open for further replies.