Asus r9 380x Strix Not Sending Signal to Monitor

JLAB15

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
My gpu, r9 380x strix, just shipped. I installed it just as I should, and double checked to make sure it was fully installed on the mobo. When I turn on my pc, the lights on the card light up, the fans do not spin (which I think is normal for idle), but there is absolutely no signal to the monitor. There are two things I believe that could cause this. First, I used my PC with the onboard graphics of my i5-4590 for about 2 days without the gpu (when I was waiting for it to ship). I also only have an hdmi cable right now and the gpu only used dvi-d. I am getting a cable later today, but I don't think this is the problem. I have heard that you have to disable the integrated graphics via BIOS.

My Specs-
CPU: i5-4590
GPU: Asus Strix 380x
Mobo: AsRock h97m pro 4
PSU: EVGA 550w G2 Supernova

Thank you for the help.

Solution
There is usually and extra power cable from the PSU you need to plug into most high quality GPU's nowadays. And yes you sometimes need to disable the CPU graphics via the BIOs in order for it to use the GPU. I had to do this when I installed my ASUS STRIX GPU. Otherwise it defaults to the Intel Graphics.

Now I don't really understand what you are saying from the way you wrote it. What I get from it is you have and HDMI cable from your monitor to the motherboard slots and not directly into the GPU. You need it to go from your monitor to the GPU if you want to untilize the GPU. Its not going to shoot information back through the mother board to get to the monitor.

I have the GTX 960 ASUS Strix and there is an extra 4 or 6 pin connector...

JLAB15

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014

What do you mean? My hdmi is plugged into the motherboard not gpu. Still when I boot, nothing happens.

SKIPPY PB

Reputable
Jan 9, 2015
There is usually and extra power cable from the PSU you need to plug into most high quality GPU's nowadays. And yes you sometimes need to disable the CPU graphics via the BIOs in order for it to use the GPU. I had to do this when I installed my ASUS STRIX GPU. Otherwise it defaults to the Intel Graphics.

Now I don't really understand what you are saying from the way you wrote it. What I get from it is you have and HDMI cable from your monitor to the motherboard slots and not directly into the GPU. You need it to go from your monitor to the GPU if you want to untilize the GPU. Its not going to shoot information back through the mother board to get to the monitor.

I have the GTX 960 ASUS Strix and there is an extra 4 or 6 pin connector I forgot which found on the PSU harness that needed to be plugged in for it to work properly.

Again if On Board Graphics are Disabled you wont be able to use CPU graphics and therefore you shouldnt be able to use the motherboard graphics slots. It should look for the next available graphics location, i.e. GPU and go from there.

Solution