Asus' Rampage V Extreme X99 Motherboard Spotted

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

takeshi7

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013
All these X99 motherboards suck. they don't let me set up my sound card without blocking one of the graphics fans. Why isn't there a single X99 board set up like the Z97 boards? It's stupid.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009

I don't know anything about your setup, but I'd imagine that if this layout doesn't allow you to install a sound card without interfering with the cooling on your graphics card(s), then few layouts will. What Z97 layout are you referring to?

lp231

Splendid
That "Extreme" looks so tacky. Only place I can think of right now, where you see that is on the back of some bloke's home made bat suit, as he spread his wings when jumping off a building. Also it's mad large, so large you can spot it from the ISS! $500 for a board just for the "EXTRREME"!!! And it looks crooked.

They shouldn't have done it exactly like the Deluxe. But instead of white, make it red with some black and white accents. Also on the I/O cover, change X99 Series to ROG Series or leave that alone and add ROG "ROG X99 Series".

takeshi7

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013

I don't know anything about your setup, but I'd imagine that if this layout doesn't allow you to install a sound card without interfering with the cooling on your graphics card(s), then few layouts will. What Z97 layout are you referring to?

Basically any of the Z97 boards that put a PCIe x1 in the first slot and the Second slot is for the main GPU. This X99 board might actually let me set up my sound card without blocking a graphics fan, but it depends on the SLI bridge that it ships with. There are many other X99 boards where it is impossible to set up my sound card without blocking the graphics fan.

msahni

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Hi there,
Its very surprising that they completely omitted the Ultra M.2 PCIE Gen 3 x4 slot.. These are easily available online whereas the SATA Express drives are still a distant dream with no idea of availability.

Hope ASUS includes it and this is just a missing element.....

Whats the distribution of the 40 PCIE lanes in the 4 x16 slots if all are populated.....

Cheers....

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009

You're not limited to the x1 slot. You should be able to install your sound card into any PCIe slot on the board.

... well you know, except the ones your graphics cards are using/blocking.

christinebcw

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
Yes, indeed. And notice how often this comment is addressed in future reviews, too. Probably about Zero.

dgingeri

Distinguished

That's what I thought about the Z97-WS. I got three with the same problem, and it took 10 days to get the first replacement board. The service was horrible, and the reliability was horrible. I have it sitting in an alternate case right now, with only one memory channel working, waiting until they get a little more stock, and then I'll try again. I know the issue is in the boards because I got the same issue with three different processors, four different memory kits, three different coolers, and two different power supplies.

christinebcw

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
Hubby probably wished I would use "What" instead of "Who" so often, by the way. "Oh stop yer worrying - you've lived THIS long-!" He's such a whiner... "I can't feel my legs!" or "The noose is too tight" or some whiny little thing... sheesh. You'd think I'd have killed him many times before!

Status
Not open for further replies.