Asus Releases UEFI GOP VBIOS for its GeForce GTX 680

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
How often do you boot your machine anyway? Unless something requires a reboot or I need to mess with hardware, mine is in sleep mode when I am not using it. Have my power button set to sleep and resume, and have actually had someone comment that it boots really fast because they didn't realize it was only asleep. And it's not like an Ivy Bridge machine with an SSD take long to cold boot anyway.

And it requires Windows 8, so most people can't make any use of it even if they have the hardware for it.

G

my wife doesn't want me to play games much, so these are the only "fun stuff" i can do without she coming barking at me.

i have a Palit Jetstream GTX670. i asked for the UFEI GOP supported firmware from Palit and they mailed me the flasher. but only after that i found out i need to have Windows installed in UFEI mode. i'm gonna convert my MBR disk to GPT using this guide after dinner.
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/14286.converting-windows-bios-installation-to-uefi.aspx

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
[citation][nom]anushand[/nom]my wife doesn't want me to play games much, so these are the only "fun stuff" i can do without she coming barking at me[/citation]

Sounds like you need a new wife.

Non-Euclidean

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
[citation][nom]anushand[/nom]my wife doesn't want me to play games much, so these are the only "fun stuff" i can do without she coming barking at me.[/citation]

That's all on you, dude.

gsxrme

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
I have to say running the latest Bios on my Asus Maximus 4 Extreme and I just flashed my Asus GTX680 and now my boot time is now instant. I've always flashed the latest Bios for my Motherboards but never had an option until now to update the videocard. If you're running the Asus GTX680, i fully recommend this update. Just in case something goes wrong though PLEASE have another card on standby so you can re-flash the 680 if something fails.

HUGE +1 Asus!

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
[citation][nom]Thunderfox[/nom]How often do you boot your machine anyway? Unless something requires a reboot or I need to mess with hardware, mine is in sleep mode when I am not using it. Have my power button set to sleep and resume, and have actually had someone comment that it boots really fast because they didn't realize it was only asleep. And it's not like an Ivy Bridge machine with an SSD take long to cold boot anyway. And it requires Windows 8, so most people can't make any use of it even if they have the hardware for it.[/citation]

I boot my machine several times a day. Sleep & hibernate mess with the Nvidia fan profiles on my system. When it resumes, the fan is stuck @ 40%. Not to mention, because I've got 24GB of ram, every single time I hibernate, it would have to write that 24GB to my SSD. Cold boots don't take long at all, and it's worth the trade off IMO.

ddg4005

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
[citation][nom]anushand[/nom]my wife doesn't want me to play games much, so these are the only "fun stuff" i can do without she coming barking at me. i have a Palit Jetstream GTX670. i asked for the UFEI GOP supported firmware from Palit and they mailed me the flasher. but only after that i found out i need to have Windows installed in UFEI mode. i'm gonna convert my MBR disk to GPT using this guide after dinner.http://social.technet.microsoft.co [...] -uefi.aspx[/citation]

Sounds like you need to get a new wife or get divorced.

Sarper

Honorable
Apr 7, 2013
I bought a gtx 660dc2 today and there is no uefi support although it has a windows 8 ready sticker on it.What does windows 8 ready mean anyway?My old msi 9600 gt works on windows 8 too and it was bought before windows 8 was around.I am going to return it for a really windows 8 one

Status
Not open for further replies.