Asus Reveals Details About Its Windows Mixed Reality Headset

Status
Not open for further replies.

zippyzion

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
VR is coming. Finally more companies are coming out with headsets.

Actually, I'm more of a fan of the built in tracking feature. I don't like the idea of being tied to base stations used for tracking. Sure, they may be more accurate by a smidge, but freedom of movement and mobility are more important for immersion. That and these would be ideal for a VR laptop as you just don't need to set up a bunch of other stuff to get room scale VR. It is just as easy to use in a hotel room or at a friend's place as it is at home, and I think that is pretty snazzy.

ObamasBFF

Prominent
Apr 25, 2017
No external tracking means input lag which means motion sickness. Bad VR is what will kill VR. I think Google Cardboard has done more to slow the growth of VR than anything else - people buy a $10 cardboard ripoff, the see it and go "uh this is the big deal that everyone is saying about VR" and then they think the Rift and Vive are the same thing.

zippyzion

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
I don't know about that ObamasBFF. I'm a regular mobile VR user and while the performance of the Gear VR, Cardboard, and Daydream (I've tried them all) is decidedly low end, most of the people I show it to are far more ooh and ah than apathetic. Once I say that this is the low end of the capability their interest in it improves. I'd say the Gear VR has had the biggest impact on friends I've shown it to because all of them that had Gear VR ready phones went and got a Gear VR. Of the ones that didn't have Samsung phones, most went for one of those plastic $30 headsets from Amazon. It is an easily enjoyably medium that is just begging for more content. Something between a phone experience and a Vive/Rift experience is desperately needed to hook more people and grow the platform. If this Windows Mixed Reality system can do that, then VR will be just fine. It sounds like these headsets have 90% of the features and functionality of the high end headsets, at least. If these can't hook more people then the 2nd gen gaming headsets (whenever those come out) are our last real shot at getting VR off the ground this decade.

In your example all people really need is context. If that is all that is holding people back, things are going to turn our just fine for VR.

Status
Not open for further replies.