ASUS rn-n66u help!

goldhalo01

Prominent
Feb 11, 2018
I have an ASUS router rt-n66u the speeds are great until it comes to online gaming on my Xbox one. It’s always laggy! Please help!

Solution
Wireless is by its nature the worst possible choice for gaming since it has the highest latency.

Of course the best is an Ethernet cable and the second best is a pair of AV2-1000/1200 powerline adapters such as one of THESE.

With wireless only you need to be very very close to the router/AP, not be competing with other wireless traffic, and not have any interference -- and then you will have a lot fewer problems with latency. The only time that I found the AC66U (which is a great router) sufficient for gaming otherwise was to use a pair of them with the second in media bridge mode and then plug the XBox into the bridge unit.

RealBeast

Titan
Wireless is by its nature the worst possible choice for gaming since it has the highest latency.

Of course the best is an Ethernet cable and the second best is a pair of AV2-1000/1200 powerline adapters such as one of THESE.

With wireless only you need to be very very close to the router/AP, not be competing with other wireless traffic, and not have any interference -- and then you will have a lot fewer problems with latency. The only time that I found the AC66U (which is a great router) sufficient for gaming otherwise was to use a pair of them with the second in media bridge mode and then plug the XBox into the bridge unit.

Solution