Question ASUS ROG 2080 super making whining noises

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
I accidentally left my ASUS ROG 2080 super on 100% fan speed overnight because I was getting quite high Temps on it 78-82C while on load the maximum temperature on the card is 89c so it made me quite nervous. So I maxed out the fans on GPU tweak and my Temps got significantly better 58-62c on load.

But I accidentally left it on full blast overnight and when I woke up the next morning the fans were running on half of their maximum RPM and I realized my mistake. I turned down the fans to 30% and got super high Temps again so I tried giving the card/computer a break and I shut my whole desktop off for about 24 hours. Now the card is making extremely annoying whining noises and I'm afraid the death of the fans are imminent.

Should I bother buying a custom cooler for it and change the paste to frostbite 2 since the warranty is probably completely gone anyway since I destroyed the fans due to my error? Or with the 3080 coming out should I even bother? I probably can't sell the video card now because people wouldn't want a card with dying fans so honestly, idk the next course of action. I could give the video card to my wife when I buy a 3080 but idk how close the fans are to dying. If they're running at half of their RPM and sound like a dying horse they probably won't last a month right? Dunno.

I accidentally left my ASUS ROG 2080 super on 100% fan speed overnight because I was getting quite high Temps on it 78-82C while on load the maximum temperature on the card is 89c so it made me quite nervous. So I maxed out the fans on GPU tweak and my Temps got significantly better 58-62c on load.

But I accidentally left it on full blast overnight and when I woke up the next morning the fans were running on half of their maximum RPM and I realized my mistake. I turned down the fans to 30% and got super high Temps again so I tried giving the card/computer a break and I shut my whole desktop off for about 24 hours. Now the card is making extremely annoying whining noises and I'm afraid the death of the fans are imminent.

Should I bother buying a custom cooler for it and change the paste to frostbite 2 since the warranty is probably completely gone anyway since I destroyed the fans due to my error? Or with the 3080 coming out should I even bother? I probably can't sell the video card now because people wouldn't want a card with dying fans so honestly, idk the next course of action. I could give the video card to my wife when I buy a 3080 but idk how close the fans are to dying. If they're running at half of their RPM and sound like a dying horse they probably won't last a month right? Dunno.
I'd replace the fans.
Although I find it odd they took a crap running overnight at 100%.
They should be able to run a long long time at 100%.

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
I'd replace the fans.
Although I find it odd they took a crap running overnight at 100%.
They should be able to run a long long time at 100%.

I did buy the card last Sptember so that could have affected their life the card is probably over a year old. But the temps last year were mostly around 65c on load so i didn't pay much attention.. But this summer has been exceedingly hot. Most days this summer were in the mid 100 degrees Fahrenheit and it was probably 85 degrees in our house with the AC on. The last few weeks were pretty hot too. High 80s to low 90s. Just an all around hot summer (normally our summers here in upstate NY don't break 82 degrees this year is a fluke) that can affect GPU temps.

But It sounds like the fans were slowly dying over the last year and when I blasted them they couldn't take the pressure anymore. You're right maxing out fans overnight shouldn't cause them to fail. Something was wrong with them beforehand.

But I just stuck over $2,000 into this build already id like to save as much money as possible while I still have $1,000`left to pay off. How much would it be to replace the fans cheaply? I've never really had GPU fans die before.

The 3080 should be coming out within the next month or so so Id be stupid to invest a lot of money fixing this card.

I did buy the card last Sptember so that could have affected their life the card is probably over a year old. But the temps last year were mostly around 65c on load so i didn't pay much attention.. But this summer has been exceedingly hot. Most days this summer were in the mid 100 degrees Fahrenheit and it was probably 85 degrees in our house with the AC on. The last few weeks were pretty hot too. High 80s to low 90s. Just an all around hot summer (normally our summers here in upstate NY don't break 82 degrees this year is a fluke) that can affect GPU temps.

But It sounds like the fans were slowly dying over the last year and when I blasted them they couldn't take the pressure anymore. You're right maxing out fans overnight shouldn't cause them to fail. Something was wrong with them beforehand.

But I just stuck over $2,000 into this build already id like to save as much money as possible while I still have $1,000`left to pay off. How much would it be to replace the fans cheaply? I've never really had GPU fans die before.

The 3080 should be coming out within the next month or so so Id be stupid to invest a lot of money fixing this card.
I'm in upstate NY too and it's been hot.
I'm running 3 GPUs on three machines on auto and they all peak at 82C no matter what the ambient it seems. GTX 1060....GTX 1080.....RTX 2080 Ti

Here are some links to fans on EBay. I'm not finding fans for the Asus 2080 Super....but I'm thinking there's a really good chance they are the same as the fans for the Asus 2080.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Graphics-C...862660?hash=item2d01829244:g:lUkAAOSwWEdeHN-Q

https://www.ebay.com/itm/88mm-T1292...414536?hash=item443cf43948:g:yCYAAOSw3Jxc0vLd

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
Oh hey we're twins! The ones on ebay look the closest to what i have only i have 2 fans and not 3. Forgot to mention that. My desktop isnt on right now or i could give you the model number. But it was a 2 fan ROG STRIX that came out around last July and I bought the card in September. I couldnt afford the 3 fan because it was $400 more at the time. That was the only reason i didnt buy a 2080 ti. It was quite expensive while the super was around $850 at the time.

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
I'm installing a corsair h150i pro xt into the desktop today so I'm going to check a few things first. I'm probably going to try Jay's solution first before returning the card to ASUS and I didn't think ASUS would replace the video card if its my fault the fans aren't working. ASUS is very picky on their RMAs and last time I returned something to them I had to pay for the shipping there. Thats like 35 bucks that might go down the drain. I'd rather just try replacing the fans and getting a 3080 when it comes out next month.

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
Okay so I installed everything and its not the fans. The GPU itself is dying. Im not getting more than 60 fps in games, the clock is running at 1050ish mhz on a 1980 mhz card and the screen is flickering occasionally. Im trying to decide what to do here. If I send it to asus its cost me 30 bucks, and if it's my fault I don't get anything back and I'd have to wait almost a month to get my card back. A 3080 might be affordable or it might be a $1,500 card. If it is id never pay that much for a card ever and id just buy another 2080 super but probably from evga this time. I really don't know. Im just sick of flying money around I don't have.

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
My wife tried reseating the card for me and the fans run on full rpm now and there's no screen flickering (yay) but the card is still running at half the mhz/core clock it should and I'm getting like 60 fps and getting very good temps at 100% load (38c). Im troubleshooting the card before I talk to ASUS.

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
I called ASUS and they think its a problem with the cooling system and recommended I RMA the card so, I did. Turning the card down to 1080p did fix my core clocks for a while but made my card run very hot. Here's hoping the techs at asus can solve the problem and dont find any fault. They shouldn't because the card is in brand new condition. I didnt even do a single thing to it.

Reactions: Flayed