Asus' ROG Ares II: Four Dual-GPU Graphics Cards, Compared

Status
Not open for further replies.

UltimateDeep

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
I think you can get 2 690s or least 3 680s for the price of an ARES 2. The benchmarkers didn't evaluate Performance per watt, or Performance per dollar and the flipping size and length of each card which is the reason why I still stand by the GTX 690 in this article... For all these cards, all of that personally needs to be taken into consideration.

I've nothing against the Dual 7970s but just want to let consumers be aware of the pros and cons especially the cards are not for the meek of wallet.

dkcomputer

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
Classic statement whenever you talk about AMD - "If only the software were better" or "When the software catches up" - how about "If only this component would be relevant when the software its made for exists"

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
"the GeForce GTX 690 remains the most elegant high-end card we've ever used."

I actually had a chance to own a 690 so I went for it and, upon the next reboot, I was greeted by a black screen. Yay. I looked on the web and, as expected, others were suffering with the same issue. An ebay auction later and I'm back to 2x 660s in sli. The moral of the story is: Just because it's expensive doesn't mean it'll work :(

Cataclysm_ZA

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
No frame latency using FRAPS? Your readers consider it the industry standard now, Tom's, you should be implementing it on all your reviews in future. Even though FCAT is more work, timestamping using FRAPS is still an accurate and reliable measurement.

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
Nice review. Those cards are awesome. But the Ares II is a beast of them all. ASUS should have made more of them, find a way to cut down on power consumption and market it for $1200. I would have snagged one as it is more than enough for my 2560x1440 Dell. The question is, will the true 7990 made by AMD deliver what ASUS and HIS did but with lower power and heat?

Nice card and they should have made more as they would have sold well. The saving grace for this card isn't just the performance but the thermals and acoustics. The price however puts this card far out of reach for all but the 1% D:

tslot05qsljgo9ed

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Review FAIL.

Not testing DUAL GPU cards (internal SLI or CF) with FCAT is a complete FAILURE of a review.

In fact all future GPU reviews (Single, Dual, 3-Way, 4-Way, IGP, APU) should be using FCAT to make sure vendors are not playing fast and loose with FRAPS while generating STUB and DROPPED frames.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Not impressed with one of the Crysis2 graphs starting the X-axis at 38. That's visually misleading,
and bad practice, especially when all the other graphs on the same page start at 0. Please change
it to a normal graph with origin 0.

Ian.

jate

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
In page 1,
Transistors 2 x 4.31 million(AMD) 2 x 3.5 million(NVIDIA)

I thought we are now running in billions of transistors?

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
why even make a dual gpu card right now?

gforce has the titan... its basically dual gpu performance on a single gpu

and it has non of the problems that dual gpu brings to the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.