[SOLVED] Asus ROG G713QR SSD Question

Feb 2, 2022
OK, so I recently bought the Asus Strix G17 G713QR from a vendor that does not charge sales tax to residents other states.

I was made aware that the SSD included in this particular computer writes at around 2400mb/s and reads like 3000mb/s.

Considering that there are faster PCIE Gen4 x 4 drives that do 7000mb/s, I reason I'd be a fool not to go get one, that is assuming it is compatible with my system.

And that is the question I am posing today: Does Asus Strix G17 G713QR support PCIE Gen4 x 4 drives? Or do I just need to count my blessings in PCIE GEN3 x 4 land and forget about it?

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The SKU's listed on Asus's support site tends to say that they come with PCIe 3.0 SSD's. There are two more sites that tend to say you can upgrade the SSD with a PCIe 4.0 version, here and here but you will need to add a huge grain of salt to those latter sites since PCIe 4.0 SSD's are backwards compatible with a PCIe 3.0 M.2 slot, meaning that you can drop in a PCIe 4.0 SSD but it'll essentially run at PCIe 3.0 speeds.

Looking through here;
https://www.asus.com/Laptops/For-Gaming/ROG-Republic-of-Gamers/filter?SubSeries=ROG-Strix&Spec=258
The QR's all come equipped with PCIe 3.0 SSD's while the latter generation of laptop's come with PCIe 4.0 SSD's.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The SKU's listed on Asus's support site tends to say that they come with PCIe 3.0 SSD's. There are two more sites that tend to say you can upgrade the SSD with a PCIe 4.0 version, here and here but you will need to add a huge grain of salt to those latter sites since PCIe 4.0 SSD's are backwards compatible with a PCIe 3.0 M.2 slot, meaning that you can drop in a PCIe 4.0 SSD but it'll essentially run at PCIe 3.0 speeds.

Looking through here;
https://www.asus.com/Laptops/For-Gaming/ROG-Republic-of-Gamers/filter?SubSeries=ROG-Strix&Spec=258
The QR's all come equipped with PCIe 3.0 SSD's while the latter generation of laptop's come with PCIe 4.0 SSD's.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS