Question Asus ROG G752VS Does not charge and throttles

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tuxedo187

Prominent
Jun 22, 2019
Hello, so i have this Asus ROG G752VS gaming laptop with i7-6700HQ and GTX 1070. The machine was working fine, however one day it will not wake up - no signs of life. After trying for several times i tried a lower rated charger and it turned on. However from then on the laptop will not charge the battery and will produce throttling for no reason - while running 3DMark the fps will drop frequently. I have already replaced the battery to no avail - it is out of warranty, what could be the problem. I assume there may be a problem with a power circuit - could the powerboard be at fault?I think that part is replaceable, but i dont have any idea how a DC jack would affect anything.

PS. the battery indicator in Windows either shows the battery as 255% or 0%, but plugged in (it does not say its charging, just plugged in).

Last edited:
New motherboard Is usually atleast half of cost of a new laptop i would not let them replace that only fix. One Last thing To try would be flashing the bios straight. I can help you with that if repair Shop fails. Whatevwr you choose buy the motherboard yourself. Might find good deal on laptop with broken screen for example.

tuxedo187

Prominent
Jun 22, 2019
No, the repair shop ill bring it in will not offer me to replace the mobo, they repair the delicate stuff, resistors and etc, i have tried everything including downgrading bios to version 306 (its on 312 now). What else is strange that the battery is not recognized now, it says 255% plugged even when battery is connected. Initially it was recognizing the battery and etc, just would not charge, now the battery is not recognized and HW monitor does not show any battery related info. Interesting. I guess the EC firmware is included in the bios files since there is no separate download as with MSI machines.

EC is stored in ITE8995E chip on the mainboard, main bios is on : W25Q64FVSSIQ 8-leg soic

They need different file for both chips, 8mb for winbond and EC is 128kb

Also upgrading your bios and EC will not upgrade the whole chip, only a part or region. So if corruption is somewhere else you cant do "crysis" recovery.

tuxedo187

Prominent
Jun 22, 2019
Did they reflash bios / EC with files i gave you?
How they cant "trace" problem physically, that sounds odd. Atleast your board has no liquid damage because this is first thing they check.
No, they did not, i will probably try another shop just to be safe, we have tried many chargers with the right wattage to no avail. I think the only option remaining is to reflash the EC and BIOS - i assume they should make a backup first.

tuxedo187

Prominent
Jun 22, 2019
So to conclude this thread, the problem was never solved and i have sold the laptop to another person to proceed with attempts to fix it. As far as i am aware, if you have a G752 laptop and have a problem like this you are screwed. Thats the awful truth. Special thanks for lga1156_ftw for all the effort.

nostylez

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
Sorry to bring up an old thread, was hoping if someone managed to find the problem. Kind of sucks now that I was planning to replace the battery and re-paste (even though temps are normal).

nostylez

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
After some digging, I've found that it seems to be an issue with ROG Game center, I have uninstalled it and downloaded throttlestop, undervolted the cpu even though temps are well under spec, something was causing instability. No throttling in games and performance is running at a consistent fps without any ridiculous drops in fps. Hopefully this helps anyone with a similar issue.