[SOLVED] Asus ROG GL502VM - GPU temps are 100*C+

Bingeljell

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014
Edit Update: So after quite a bit of testing random stuff, I finally decided to see if a format and fresh install will fix anything. My idle GPU temps are now between 58-63* C and CPU around 50 -55* C - and under stress GPU climbs to about 97-98* C - however the CPU still spikes to 100* C pretty easily when in use.

I'm not sure if it was the Windows update (the recent one that caused issues) or if it was some random driver that I installed in my excitement to tweak performance that caused the issues. I'm assuming that the bad thermals are just a function of this laptop and my decreased performance could just be age, maybe?

Greetings,

I have an ASUS ROG STRIX GL502VM Laptop

• Intel Core i7 6700HQ @2.6GHz (Skylake)
  • GTX 1060 GB

• My idle GPU temp is 75*C
  • Even my CPU seems to be idling at around 65-70*C
When I play anything my GPU despite not having anywhere near 100% usage is going above 100*C.

This has never been the case. While this is an old laptop (2016 Dec) and has always had thermal issues esp when playing games. Just chalked it off to crappy laptop design and it was consistent with a lot of reviews I read/ saw at the time.

Recently I've also noticed some less than optimal performance.

Some points to note:

1. I tried to undervolt using MSI AfterBurner - didn't really make a difference. I follwed some curves posted by 'Onjax' on the ROG Forums. Tried some variations of my own - shrug
  2. Tried to use the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility - everything is greyed out - can't undervolt
  3. I cleaned out the fans.
  4. I uninstalled the latest MS update that was causing issues.
Not only are the temps an issue, I'm getting less than optimal performance when I try running Overwatch (Unable to maintain 60-70 FPS) or CS:GO (120 - and getting throttled to major stutters and 30-40 cause of the heat in the last few days)

With the same settings I've always had - I used to average 200+ FPS in CS:GO and I would get 100+ FPS when playing OW with the FPS uncapped (since that used to cause my GPU to go beyond 90C, I used to cap it to refresh rate and that would keep the temps below 90C at a buttery smooth 60fps)

I had to do a format and clean install sometime last year, the system has been the same since. Even the Bios doesn't look like the BIOS I got in 2016 - and of course the ASUS ROG gamer software doesn't work - I even wrote to ASUS to get the drivers, but I'm assuming it isn't compatible anymore.

One oddity is that I used to be able to see fanspeed and other things in the BIOS - now the BIOS (304) which is the latest as per the ASUS website - looks super plainjane compared to the multipl. Am I missing? I can share a video of my bios if that helps.

Any suggestions on how I can troubleshoot?

Last edited:
Solution
Edit Update: So after quite a bit of testing random stuff, I finally decided to see if a format and fresh install will fix anything. My idle GPU temps are now between 58-63* C and CPU around 50 -55* C - and under stress GPU climbs to about 97-98* C - however the CPU still spikes to 100* C pretty easily when in use.

I'm not sure if it was the Windows update (the recent one that caused issues) or if it was some random driver that I installed in my excitement to tweak performance that caused the issues. I'm assuming that the bad thermals are just a function of this laptop and my decreased performance could just be age, maybe?

*Responding to this thread for the sake of posterity.

Given how you're on a 6th Gen Intel processor for...

Lutfij

Titan

Given how you're on a 6th Gen Intel processor for your laptop, you might want to try your hand at undervolting the processor using ThrottleStop. You should be able to get to -150mv undervolt. To add, you could try a thermal paste reapplication since old thermal paste will degrade in heat transference. As for your OS, did you fabricate your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools? If so, you should be on version 20H2 for Windows 10. On that note, once the OS install is complete, make sure you've manually installed all the drivers for your laptop manually, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. <---yes you should disconnect from the internet to prevent the OS from sourcing drivers it thinks is the right ones.

Solution

Bingeljell

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014

Given how you're on a 6th Gen Intel processor for your laptop, you might want to try your hand at undervolting the processor using ThrottleStop. You should be able to get to -150mv undervolt. To add, you could try a thermal paste reapplication since old thermal paste will degrade in heat transference. As for your OS, did you fabricate your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools? If so, you should be on version 20H2 for Windows 10. On that note, once the OS install is complete, make sure you've manually installed all the drivers for your laptop manually, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. <---yes you should disconnect from the internet to prevent the OS from sourcing drivers it thinks is the right ones.
Thanks so much for the inputs.

I think when the solution is most obvious, it probably is just that.
A simple repast (Cooler Master MakerGel FYI) - solved the temp issues. CPU core 0 still touches 100C peak under load, but it comes back down - GPU is not exceeding 90C under extreme cases - a few test runs of Overwatch, GuildWars 2 and Apex Legends had the temps closer to about 84-85*C max.

I did notice that the 2 of the metallic contacts for the heatsink seem to have come out with the screws inside it - apparently that needs to be soldered on. With the lockdown in India and no soldering experience, I didn't want to meddle with that. Even so the repaste worked beautifully.

View: https://youtu.be/naBIiEOt_eQ?t=179
<-- this guy as the same problem at the 2:58 mark. Assuming that is what is causing the CPU to go to 100*C that quickly. Guess I'll just wait for service shops to reopen before I go down that rabbithole.

Many many thanks!

Aug 10, 2021
Thanks so much for the inputs.

I think when the solution is most obvious, it probably is just that.
A simple repast (Cooler Master MakerGel FYI) - solved the temp issues. CPU core 0 still touches 100C peak under load, but it comes back down - GPU is not exceeding 90C under extreme cases - a few test runs of Overwatch, GuildWars 2 and Apex Legends had the temps closer to about 84-85*C max.

I did notice that the 2 of the metallic contacts for the heatsink seem to have come out with the screws inside it - apparently that needs to be soldered on. With the lockdown in India and no soldering experience, I didn't want to meddle with that. Even so the repaste worked beautifully.

View: https://youtu.be/naBIiEOt_eQ?t=179
<-- this guy as the same problem at the 2:58 mark. Assuming that is what is causing the CPU to go to 100*C that quickly. Guess I'll just wait for service shops to reopen before I go down that rabbithole.

Many many thanks!
Hey, im having similar issues since january
did thermal paste really solved everything?
that's the only thing that left to try for me