[SOLVED] ASUS ROG Matrix GTX 780 Ti Platinum.....is it worth it?

Sep 11, 2020
Hey Guys,

because of some problems with my graphics card, I have been looking for a new one. I found a used but pristine ASUS ROG Matrix GTX 780 Ti Platinum 3GB, a flagship card built
for overclocking made with really quality parts. I can get this card for about $90. Is it worth it? I can also get a used but also like new MSI GTX 960 Gaming 4 GB for about the same price.
I have to admit, the 780 Ti is what my gut is telling me to go for. Its so well built and looks great! Over 7 million transistors, 6.175 TFLOPS, and 2880 shading units!! The stats on the card are
mesmerizing....all but the Base and Boost Clock stock...but of course it is built for overclocking but really for hardcore Ln2 overclockers.

Looking for some Graphics Card Gurus to give me some advice here. I've watched alot of benchmark videos on youtube with this card and to be fair, even if its FPS drags way behind for example
a GTX 1060, the graphics still look amazing and you dont really notice the difference in FPS...at least I couldnt, and I couldnt see any lag spikes that my be caused with its limited 3GB of Vram.

Just a note....I am on a budget and trying to get the best bang for my limited budget.

So Gurus....which should I get?? heres some links for some quick info about the cards

ASUS ROG Matrix GTX 780 Ti Platinum
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/asus-rog-matrix-gtx-780-ti-platinum.b2873
View: https://youtu.be/nPUwIv39SKs

MSI GTX 960 Gaming 4 GB
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/msi-gtx-960-gaming-4-gb.b3239

AND....I just found a Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 2x OC 3GB for the same price as the ones above

GIGABYTE GTX 1060 WindForce 2X OC

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/gigabyte-gtx-1060-windforce-2x-oc.b3795

and this one

MSI GTX 1060 GAMING X
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/msi-gtx-1060-gaming-x.b3804

Which should I get???

Last edited:
Solution
Hahah, for someone on a budget even a gt 1030 is a beast. Let's say 780 Ti, 1060 and 970 are today's mid-end oriented GPUs for 1080p 45-60+ FPS.
Yes. I totally agree with you, the gt 1030 is not terrible, the 750ti can game.(many people like the 750ti)
The Gtx970 can crush games.

but the 780ti is a BEAST.
I am not a guru, just I have some knowledge about these.

The 1060 3 GB is really the fastest out of all these, at least in gaming, sometimes even 15-20% faster. The power draw of 1060 is 45-50% of 780 Ti's TDP, meaning a little cheaper electricity bill. A low-quality PSU may have problems with the 780 Ti, while 1060 doesn't care too much.

The 780 Ti is still the best possible GPU from Gen. 700 Nvidia, if the price is really good and if you have a proper PSU, you can go for it... I got my 1060 3 GB for 50 euro. About the numbers you say, well, 1060's architecture has some key improvements, so the shaders, TFLOPS, etc cannot help the 780 Ti to come out on top.

The 960 4 GB? If you play games on settings, that require more than 3 GB of vram and are not optimized well enough for using system ram, then I guess it would get more fps (<=9% chance, which is the situation with the GTX 1650 vs 1060 3 GB. And the 1650 is really ahead of the 960, regardless of versions). GTX 960 4 GB is something between 1050 and 1050 Ti in the terms of speed.

overclocking
I guess you'd seriously monitor temperatures if you go this way. In my country from time to time I see s.o. with a destroyed GTX 470/460, 690, 780/780 Ti, 1050 Ti or 1060, selling it for parts (not just due to a dead fan). Asus is among the best brands when it comes to GPU quality, but this GPU is made ~7 years ago. And what is actually your current power supply?

Sep 11, 2020
Hello!
I have a 600w PSU so the giving it power wont be a problem. You said Euros.....my currency is also Euro, I am in Germany. You got lucky to find a GTX 1060 3GB for 50 Euros....I am scanning the eBay Classifieds and eBay hourly trying to get a deal. Ive missed a few good deals by just being to late to make an offer!

I just found something even better..but I probably cant afford it.....its the ASUS Gold GTX 980 Ti Platinum 6GB, I am making an offer on it!

ASUS GOLD20TH GTX 980 Ti Platinum
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/asus-gold20th-gtx-980-ti-platinum.b3423

not sure how much he wants but the stats on this version are a bit better than the 780 Ti version.

So I dont really play games on my PC.....just a few that arent so demanding....I actually play on console and stream from my PC. So I need a good graphics card that give me good quality streaming.....so I think the 780ti 3GB version would be good enough and to also give me the options to play games if I wanted to. I am no FPS gamer anyway.

So...If I got the 780ti and a AMD FX 8350 from this guy for 130 Euros....good deal?? (I currently have a Phenom II x4 955...it works good, but more cores would be better for streaming I think)

I have a 600w PSU
I believe you're fine with wattage from the start of the thread, but quality is a different thing, you want to overclock, and you like pre-overclocked things; you can mention brand&version of the PSU.
Uh. Okay. I got my GPU from a local seller who had cheap 2nd hand mid-range gpus on sale. Just try not to get deceived, especially if talking about a 2nd hand/mega cheap gpu.
the ASUS Gold GTX 980 Ti
Well, things got totally diferent as you said it. A really stronger GPU, but prices around and anywhere were horrid, so I didn't go for it and I don't feel like I ever would. It's clear for me that 980 and 980 Ti are stronger than my 1060, though.

Sep 11, 2020
I think you may have misunderstood me in my original post. I am not really an overclocker....I was just stating that the 780ti was optimized for overclocking, especially Liquid Nitrogen cooling..but that doesnt matter to me because I wont be doing anything near that. I may overclock it a bit....because hey, why not!

My PSU is made by Cooler Master, Masterwatt Lite 600w, 80 Plus rating.

Sooo...if you had to choose between the MSI GTX 960 Gaming 4GB and the ASUS ROG Matrix GTX 780 ti Platinum.....which would be the one to go for if they are around the same price? Btw..did you watch that video link I posted about the 780 ti? And heres the MSI info on it:

because hey, why not!
Whatever. I guess I'd say the same if I had Corsair CX Gray 550+ watts.
Masterwatt Lite 600w, 80 Plus rating
I wonder why do they put it in Tier D here:
Usually not a very good sign, not sure why, maybe there is something in their spreadsheet; maybe it 'll not have problems? I don't know.
Sooo...if you had to choose between the MSI GTX 960 Gaming 4GB and the ASUS ROG Matrix GTX 780 ti Platinum.....which would be the one to go for if they are around the same price?
The 780 Ti, because:
  • 1. I rarely go above 2,9 GB vram while playing my games in medium settings 900-1080p
  • 2. I actually don't recall of an issue with my low-quality and budget-oriented power supplies. Just heard of rumors and having a previous one a bit lowder sometimes. My makki ATX 500W was almost fine with the GTX 1060 in a system with low temperatures in the PC case. Currently Corsair 450 CX Gray is fine with my 1060, but it has quality to offer.

I think, at least from what I found, that your PSU may not survive very long if getting used with a high-demanding GPU;
another 'd be if the PSU's wattage is a little bit of fake and actually lower in the PC temperatures in your case. But you know? I am still using my makki to supply my HDD, SDD, the DVD-RW and before also there was one molex-connected fan, via a little setup, so getting some low-end additional PSU can help, and I can tell you how it works if needed. This could be worked around with a little trick, as long as your PC case can get two PSUs inside, though I had my one almost fully open for a while till 'customizing' it later on. But I never cared very much about aesthetics.
At least I think your PSU wouldn't fry something there.
There are a few versions of your PSU - may be v1, v2 or v3 - do you know what is it?

Sep 11, 2020
I dont see a version listed on the PSU packaging. But Im not so worried about the PSU...600w PSU is what is recommended for a 780ti so it will be ok. If I notice anything then I will buy a larger PSU later...but for now its ok.

My main question is....should I get the 780ti if I can get such a good deal on it? I am thinking I will get it because it is a beautiful card and so well made!

Sep 11, 2020
Well I am sure that the used market prices are lower in the USA, but here in Germany we pay more for everything!! So for here in Germany, if I can get the 780ti and a FX8350 for 130 Euros....about 140 USD...its really a good deal!

I dont see a version listed on the PSU packaging. But Im not so worried about the PSU...600w PSU is what is recommended for a 780ti so it will be ok. If I notice anything then I will buy a larger PSU later...but for now its ok.
Ok. Maybe it is v1.

My main question is....should I get the 780ti if I can get such a good deal on it? I am thinking I will get it because it is a beautiful card and so well made!

I thinks I kinda' answered to you already. If I could get a 1060 3 GB for same money, I'd definitely go for it instead; the 13% they talk about may kinda equalize it, but such things tend to come with some 'hidden' increased TDP and the GPU to take >=270 W instead of the 'usual' 250.

Well I am sure that the used market prices are lower in the USA, but here in Germany we pay more for everything!! So for here in Germany, if I can get the 780ti and a FX8350 for 130 Euros....about 140 USD...its really a good deal!
Ok. As you say. As you wish. I guess you say my previous post, as we seemingly posted at the same time.
It's interesting that for some GPUs like the 780 Ti, 970, 980 and 980 Ti prices just keep it being pretty bad, even in my country. I see a 780 for 48 euro, but the 780 ti's 75+ euro, the 980 125+ euro...eh. I think some time ago I saw a 780 Ti for 50-60 euro, but the offer is out. Also around there was a 970 for 40 euro while being a gpu close to a 1060 3 GB in speed.

Sep 11, 2020
Here in Germany everything is expensive, and when it comes to used graphics cards...its a tough market. Sometimes you can find a good deal but most of the time the prices are still high for a graphics card 5 years old or so!

Reactions: 2plash6

2plash6

Reputable
BANNED
Jul 23, 2019
I would definitely reccomend it.

In Germany, the prices for PC components aren't very good compared to the U.S.A. and China, but if you can find a 780ti for the equivalent to $90 dollars then I would go for it.

Lately I have thinking of buying a 780ti in particular, because I found very good deals on websites like eBay. I have found some for under $75, which I have been thinking of buying one.

The 780ti is still a beast in 2020. Especially when it comes to games that don't use much memory.

But the 780ti will also outperform a Gtx 970.

Reactions: OmegaMaximus
What country are you from AJNameS?

I am in Bulgaria. Not a rich country at all, but I often can find something rather cheap, so for most of the time I am OK with my budget.
You know, miners tend to sell their GPUs (like often 1070, 1080, 1060...) for cheap, but it is tricky. The GPU should've been kept always at low temperatures (preferrably below 70 degrees Celsius) and the bios of the GPU not to be flashed as you'd have to return it to stock bios by yourself if the seller didn't; another thing 's the fans - they may live less due to the constant cooling needed, but custom cooling is usually even stronger than stock; away from these things, believe it or not, a mining GPU is generally better than taking a GPU from an overclocker or a careless gamer who 'd overheat his/her things.

The 780ti is still a beast in 2020.
Hahah, for someone on a budget even a gt 1030 is a beast. Let's say 780 Ti, 1060 and 970 are today's mid-end oriented GPUs for 1080p 45-60+ FPS.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2020
I dont even need it for heavy PC gaming...I need it in my Streaming PC....I play on Xbox and stream and play it through my PC. So dont you think the 780ti would be great for this and also for gaming? I have seen benchmarks for newer games where the 780ti does very well and as the FPS may be lower..the quality of the graphics is really good!!

View: https://youtu.be/mqZrT2Y0etE

Reactions: 2plash6

2plash6

Reputable
BANNED
Jul 23, 2019
Yes. I totally agree with you, the gt 1030 is not terrible, the 750ti can game.(many people like the 750ti)
The Gtx970 can crush games.

but the 780ti is a BEAST.

Last edited:
Solution
I dont even need it for heavy PC gaming...I need it in my Streaming PC....I play on Xbox and stream and play it through my PC. So dont you think the 780ti would be great for this and also for gaming? I have seen benchmarks for newer games where the 780ti does very well and as the FPS may be lower..the quality of the graphics is really good!!

View: https://youtu.be/mqZrT2Y0etE

You ask this again. Mb s.o. that streams can answer better as I don't stream, but I still want to help somehow; if I wanted to stream my games, I think I'd try to get one of these GPUs: GTX 1650 Super, 980, 1060 6 GB or 1070; but it does depend on what streaming you 'd do. I think something like usual i5-4690 and 16 GB ddr-1600 'd do the number and so'd do something close or better; Cpu and ram are also important.

You know, if you want your 780 Ti so much, you can just take it and try streaming with it; mb I'd do it to just stop punishing myself so much and thinking about it, tho the price is not perfectly good, but this seems to be the best you can find?

Sep 11, 2020
You know, if you want your 780 Ti so much, you can just take it and try streaming with it; mb I'd do it to just stop punishing myself so much and thinking about it, tho the price is not perfectly good, but this seems to be the best you can find?

Yeah like I said, the pricing here in Germany is very different than in Bulgaria my friend! And you are right...I think I just need to get the card and make my experience with it. I will be building a new PC in 2021 based on AMD AM4 and DDR4....so I will also be looking eventually for another GPU next year.