Question Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Alpha Showing Code 00 wont boot

Apr 19, 2019
Hi everyone, I came back to my PC like an hour after I'd walked away expecting it to be on. It wasn't. So I turned it on as one does and the fans just ramp up and spin the Q code shows 00. I've included what I've tried thus far. I really hope something in my PC didn't die but it's seeming very likely that something did.

I hope someone has the magic answer :( Thanks in advance.

Side note I've running the bios flash back as we speak and the button light has been blinking for about 10 minutes now. That doesn't seem normal to me? Any idea what I should do?

What I've tried:
  • Turning it off and on again (Duh)
  • Turning the PSU off and on then booting
  • flashing the BIOS with BIOS flashback
Specs:
  • 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum
  • Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Alpha
  • Intel i7 6700k
  • GTX 970
  • Corsair HX1000i
  • Samsung 860 Evo
  • WD Blue 1TB

Yes, contact ASUS. Sounds like a dead motherboard to me unless you've had the CPU out at some point and have bent a pin on the motherboard. Mostly the 00 Q code relates to a lack of a CPU or a faulty CPU, but a faulty motherboard can result in no CPU being detected as well. I'd breadboard the whole system. It could simply be one of the connections that was previously working, like the 24 pin ATX or 8 pin EPS to the motherboard, that was never seated quite right but worked, and now from time and vibration has worked itself loose enough to break the connection.

Try removing and reseating ALL connections to the motherboard and if that doesn't work, bench test it.

Apr 19, 2019
Yes, contact ASUS. Sounds like a dead motherboard to me unless you've had the CPU out at some point and have bent a pin on the motherboard. Mostly the 00 Q code relates to a lack of a CPU or a faulty CPU, but a faulty motherboard can result in no CPU being detected as well. I'd breadboard the whole system. It could simply be one of the connections that was previously working, like the 24 pin ATX or 8 pin EPS to the motherboard, that was never seated quite right but worked, and now from time and vibration has worked itself loose enough to break the connection.

Try removing and reseating ALL connections to the motherboard and if that doesn't work, bench test it.

I checked the connectors and plugged them again. Still nothing. Called intel last night and they are sending me a new CPU. My warranty expires the April 26th so I really hope it isn't the motherboard.

I would start the RMA process NOW for the motherboard. It doesn't matter if you actually follow through on the RMA, nor does it matter if you actually SEND the motherboard prior to the warranty date. So long as you've BEGUN the RMA before the warranty expires, you should be good if the CPU doesn't cure the problem. That way, you are already ready to send them the motherboard if the CPU is not the issue and they can't say it's out of warranty because you started the process while it still was.