[SOLVED] ASUS ROG Maximus XI HERO - Having problems detecting M.2 NVME SSD.

Feb 12, 2019
Hi there,

I haven't built a PC in a long time and I've been looking forward to but also dreading this day. Surprisingly though, apart from some obvious stupidity on my part, it went off without a hitch. I'm now trying to install Windows 10 Pro to my brand spanking new Samsung 970 PRO but having issues with it.

The BIOS doesn't actually detect the SSD even though it is in there. I've tried both ports and I've checked and they're both PCIE. After some looking around I found the BIOS settings for the M.2 slots and I believe I enabled them by settings the mode to PCIE and the bandwidth to x4. I've also set SATA to ACHI instead of RAID/Optane.

However, it still isn't showing up. Any ideas?

Solution
I've solved the issue. The NVME drive needs to click when inserted. I realised this after installing a new NVME drive. I was too worried of breaking the small guy.

Thanks for all the help!

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Where do you expect to see it in the BIOS? Try booting from your installation media & see if you're then presented with an option to install it (try it as the only drive, to be safe).

I've found a lot of BIOS' still only show SATA ports & devices connected to - the presence of an M.2 NVME drive isn't immediately obvious until an OS is installed to it.

Feb 12, 2019
Where do you expect to see it in the BIOS? Try booting from your installation media & see if you're then presented with an option to install it (try it as the only drive, to be safe).

I've found a lot of BIOS' still only show SATA ports & devices connected to - the presence of an M.2 NVME drive isn't immediately obvious until an OS is installed to it.

Yeah sorry forgot to mention I also tried having it as the only storage media and installing Windows 10 Pro. The installer wasn't able to find it.

Feb 12, 2019
Hmmm, that is strange.

Does Diskpart recognise the drive? Open an elevated command prompt when you've loaded your install media - Shift+F10 at the "Windows setup" screen
Then run: Diskpart>List Disk.

Does anything show?

It only shows the USB device that has the Windows 10 installation on it.

Feb 12, 2019
Hi,

have you checked the drive with a diagnostic software? Preferably with the one the manufacturer provides. ;)

I'm not sure what you mean. I've checked all over the BIOS and apart from S.M.A.R.T and PC health it doesn't really have a diagnostics section. As for the two things I mentioned. No, they didn't help.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

What we meant with diagnostic software is that every manufacturer has some software that is for free and specifically designed to test their drives.

In addition, that software is usually the only one accepted by the support in case of replacement.

Feb 12, 2019
I did some digging and it turns out one slot doesn't support PCIE. So I've swapped it over and now the SSD is in the slot that supports it. I tried with the Windows install again but it still couldn't find anything. Going to check the BIOS again.

Feb 12, 2019
I did some digging and it turns out one slot doesn't support PCIE. So I've swapped it over and now the SSD is in the slot that supports it. I tried with the Windows install again but it still couldn't find anything. Going to check the BIOS again.

Set the PCIE stuff and such but still won't be detected in BIOS or the Windows install.

Feb 12, 2019
Do you have any way to verify the drive itself is functional? That's what @seagate_surfer was getting at. If the M.2 slot supports PCIe drives, and there's nothing disabling the port in the BIOS.... then you may have to consider the possibility the drive is at fault.
I have one way. I'll get back to you on if it works.

EDIT: I installed the NVME SSD into my laptop and it was able to both detect it and install Windows 10 to it. I then returned it back into the ASUS ROG board with the Windows 10 installation on it and it didn't do anything.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019
I've solved the issue. The NVME drive needs to click when inserted. I realised this after installing a new NVME drive. I was too worried of breaking the small guy.

Thanks for all the help!

Solution