[SOLVED] Asus Rog Maximus Z790 Apex not recognizing M.2 drives as NVMe ?

AZ Desert Rat

Prominent
Oct 5, 2021
My son just built a new computer for me with a Maximus Z790 Apex motherboard. It has two 500GB Crucial P5 Plus PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 drives installed on the motherboard and two 2TB Crucial P5 Plus PCIe 4.0 NVME M.2 drives installed on the DIMM.2 riser. I have updated to the current BIOS. The BIOS recognizes the drives, but as SATA and shows no NVMe drives. I'm sure there is a setting I've missed. I went through the user's guide and the BIOS guide but couldn't find any reference to a solution. I'm sure I've just missed a correct setting - hoping someone can help.

Solution
The computer would not boot Win 11. I did manage to resolve the problem late last night. I have been trying different Bios settings and by turning off Intel Rapid Storage Technology the computer recognized all of the M.2 drives as NVME and Windows booted. The Bios must have turned it on when I installed the DIMM.2 riser. I will mark the post as solved if I can figure out how.

AZ Desert Rat

Prominent
Oct 5, 2021
The computer would not boot Win 11. I did manage to resolve the problem late last night. I have been trying different Bios settings and by turning off Intel Rapid Storage Technology the computer recognized all of the M.2 drives as NVME and Windows booted. The Bios must have turned it on when I installed the DIMM.2 riser. I will mark the post as solved if I can figure out how.

Solution