Question ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO MultiCore Enhancement (MCE)

adrifoxbg

Reputable
Jun 16, 2020
Hello, what is possibly the best option for MCE?
I don't want to overclock and wonder if it should be auto or off
My processor is 13900k motherboard asus rog maximus z790 hero 2 x 16 gb ddr5 Kingston 6000 water cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420
I have no problems with high temperatures, even low ones
What would you recommend as an option?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The cpu already overclocks itself - at least on all core loads based on the supplied cooling. You can see that in the following vid at 7:56, Rendering Thermals vs Performance:
View: https://youtu.be/dNFgswzTvyc?t=476

Games don't care - you can see that in the same vid at 9:41.

MCE is an overclocking application, so there's no need to use it.

Asus say it's better to be auto
For some motherboards, auto is on... though Asus has been pretty good at following the Intel guidelines, or so I've heard.
Just turn it off.

adrifoxbg

Reputable
Jun 16, 2020
The cpu already overclocks itself - at least on all core loads based on the supplied cooling. You can see that in the following vid at 7:56, Rendering Thermals vs Performance:

Games don't care - you can see that in the same vid at 9:41.

MCE is an overclocking application, so there's no need to use it.

For some motherboards, auto is on... though Asus has been pretty good at following the Intel guidelines, or so I've heard.
Just turn it off.

Actually, I don't have problems with high temperatures, I just don't like to stress the equipment
MCE is disable
Intel recommended that I also reduce the RAM frequency to 5600 because above this value it is a type of overclocking
my water cooling is on cpu fan and the system is quiet

adrifoxbg

Reputable
Jun 16, 2020
To each his/her own, I guess...

Anything above 4000 is technically an overclock, so I don't know what Intel's smoking there.

"Also it is highly advisable to use the RAM at the DDR5 5600 rating in BIOS. Setting the RAM over DDR5 5600 is considered processor integrated memory controller overclocking. "

I wouldn't say anything above DDR5-4000 is "overclocking" because the JEDEC standard memory speeds go up DDR5-6400. Overclocking from the point of view from the memory controller is going above what it's maximum specification is rated for. For the i9-13900K, it is DDR5-5600.

adrifoxbg

Reputable
Jun 16, 2020
I wouldn't say anything above DDR5-4000 is "overclocking" because the JEDEC standard memory speeds go up DDR5-6400. Overclocking from the point of view from the memory controller is going above what it's maximum specification is rated for. For the i9-13900K, it is DDR5-5600.

Exactly.
The operating frequency of the 13900k with the memory is 5600
It's just that memory manufacturers are ahead of the curve in my opinion like pcie 5.0
Higher frequency, more money, just business policy.

Actually viewing the video from 2:23 onwards shows the real info the OP is after.
At 3:38 it starts to talk about MCE and how it will push power draw to always be the max the CPU can handle.