Feb 18, 2024
So I've been having a lot of issues with my computer lately. It's high end
Rtx 4090 gpu
I9 13900 CPI
64 gb Ram corsair
Asus rog hero z790 motherboard
2x samsung ssd 980 pro
But I'm having so many issues playing any game. Example: path of exile crashing randomly sometimes on start up others during load screens between maps
Although it does consistently with all game bar valorant crash on start up. I'll have to attempt to load it anywhere from 2 to 8 times before I can play a game ranging from all types of games. Heavy load games to as previously mentioned poe.
I'm not computer savvy in the slightest hence this PC was bought as a custom build pc from a company called scorptek. I did take the back off and just have a look and did find 2 cables plugged into one end of something and not the other. One is plugged into my psu but nothing else the other looks to be plugged into something in my motherboard ssd? Or of the like maybe? But nothing at other end

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not really sure what the second picture in the first set is meant to be showing. You have your finger on a fan cable.

Well those are SATA connectors. Do you have a SATA drive anywhere? They likely just pre-ran those in case you wanted to install a drive, or they sell a version with another drive.

I see some sort of Cooler Master liquid cooler. What size is it? Is this an i9-13900 or i9-13900k?

What type of memory is that? What speed?

With such high end components I do hope there is a high end power supply in there. What model is it?

Crashing is likely to be memory or power related.

CPU: 13900 or 13900K or 13900F or 13900KF

CPU Cooler, basically just need the radiator size. Definitely a Cooler Master product with the name removed.

GPU: RTX 4090, brand isn't that important, but it is very neatly cropped out of your image.

PSU: Wattage, Make, and Model. Are you directly connecting to the GPU 12-pin header or are there adapters converting 4 PCIe 8-pin to a single 12VHPWR cable?

Memory: (DDR4/DDR5?) Speed, # of sticks / capacity per stick. (I doubt they gave you a single 64GB stick, but it is useful to know)

Motherboard: Asus rog hero z790 motherboard

Feb 18, 2024
Not really sure what the second picture in the first set is meant to be showing. You have your finger on a fan cable.

Well those are SATA connectors. Do you have a SATA drive anywhere? They likely just pre-ran those in case you wanted to install a drive, or they sell a version with another drive.

I see some sort of Cooler Master liquid cooler. What size is it? Is this an i9-13900 or i9-13900k?

With such high end components I do hope there is a high end power supply in there. What model is it?

CPU Cooler, basically just need the radiator size. Definitely a Cooler Master product with the name removed.

GPU: RTX 4090, brand isn't that important, but it is very neatly cropped out of your image.

PSU: Wattage, Make, and Model. Are you directly connecting to the GPU 12-pin header or are there adapters converting 4 PCIe 8-pin to a single 12VHPWR cable?

Memory: (DDR4/DDR5?) Speed, # of sticks / capacity per stick. (I doubt they gave you a single 64GB stick, but it is useful to know)

Motherboard: Asus rog

Sorry I'm way out of my element here and wasting your time with that info I've posted a picture which I hope has some insight and just looked it up my psu is a Cooler Master MWE gold 1250w v2 12vhpwr 140mm fdb fan
Corsair vengeance 64gb 2x 32gb 5600 mhz ddr5
Cpu cooling is a coolermaster ml360 illusion liquid cooler Dual Chamber pump

Feb 18, 2024
Sorry I'm way out of my element here and wasting your time with that info I've posted a picture which I hope has some insight and just looked it up my psu is a Cooler Master MWE gold 1250w v2 12vhpwr 140mm fdb fan
Corsair vengeance 64gb 2x 32gb 5600 mhz ddr5
Cpu cooling is a coolermaster ml360 illusion liquid cooler Dual Chamber pump
Also sorry wasn't my intention to hide anything

Feb 18, 2024

View: https://imgur.com/a/iGE0E15

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
It certainly is a high end system.

Okay, so you have one of the hottest running CPUs out there, not even one I listed. The KS model is even more tweaked than the K. But a 360mm AIO should be able to handle it at stock settings. Did Scorptek offer overclocking services?

They did give you somewhat slower memory, but it is quite a high capacity. I am less concerned over it.

Download and install CPU-Z, GPU-Z, and Hardware Monitor 64.

CPU-Z we are interested in seeing the CPU tab, the memory tab, and the SPD tab (for pre-configured memory speeds)
GPU-Z we just want to verify the GPU is doing what it is supposed to.
Hardware Monitor we want to see CPU and GPU temperatures under load. So if you can get a game running we want numbers from that.

If we find something abnormal we can start from there.

My current guess is the default settings for the BIOS are pushing the CPU too hard. That or there is just a massive software problem either with drivers or you've picked up some malware along the way.

Feb 18, 2024
It certainly is a high end system.

Okay, so you have one of the hottest running CPUs out there, not even one I listed. The KS model is even more tweaked than the K. But a 360mm AIO should be able to handle it at stock settings. Did Scorptek offer overclocking services?

They did give you somewhat slower memory, but it is quite a high capacity. I am less concerned over it.

Download and install CPU-Z, GPU-Z, and Hardware Monitor 64.

CPU-Z we are interested in seeing the CPU tab, the memory tab, and the SPD tab (for pre-configured memory speeds)
GPU-Z we just want to verify the GPU is doing what it is supposed to.
Hardware Monitor we want to see CPU and GPU temperatures under load. So if you can get a game running we want numbers from that.

If we find something abnormal we can start from there.

My current guess is the default settings for the BIOS are pushing the CPU too hard. That or there is just a massive software problem either with drivers or you've picked up some malware along the way.
Sorry was late and had fallen asleep. I'll send some photos through now

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Why not ask the guys at Scorptek? Explain your problems and ask if they overclocked it too much, and could they turn it down a little bit. Or help guide you through the process.

The power supply is ok, but maybe the motherboard is unable to control power delivery to the CPU. It's a hot CPU and overclocking it adds a few % but at the cost of stability.

Last edited:
Reactions: thestryker
Feb 18, 2024
Why not ask the guys at Scorptek? Explain your problems and ask if they overclocked it too much, and could they turn it down a little bit. Or help guide you through the process.

The power supply is ok, but maybe the motherboard is unable to control power delivery to the CPU. It's a hot CPU and overclocking it adds a few % but at the cost of stability.
Yeah I have. They want me to send it back to them as it is still under warranty and I dunno what I'm doing. I am going to do that as a last resort was just going to try and see if I could fix it with some online help or guidance before having to send it back

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Maybe it's just bad luck with the hardware. They seem to have done their job well. Nothing is obviously wrong or incompatible. It's well put together.

More likely the motherboard software is overclocking "intelligently", or it's been overclocked by the folks at Scorptek. But as i've said, they don't give me the impression of being clueless.
I wouldn't overclock the i9 KS. It's like trying to "overclock" a Lamborghini... Unless it's a tractor, it's pointless.

Feb 18, 2024
Maybe it's just bad luck with the hardware. They seem to have done their job well. Nothing is obviously wrong or incompatible. It's well put together.

More likely the motherboard software is overclocking "intelligently", or it's been overclocked by the folks at Scorptek. But as i've said, they don't give me the impression of being clueless.
I wouldn't overclock the i9 KS. It's like trying to "overclock" a Lamborghini... Unless it's a tractor, it's pointless.
Yeah that's what's even more frustrating, like I know I have a high end system. I'm currently trying to play dragons dogma 2. Yes it's a intensive game but my pc should be able to run it as smooth as anything, yet it's really framey it's goes grainy, consistently getting like weird white foggish outlines of objects and characters, I have to load it up about 5-6 times before it doesn't crash on start up. Not to mention every other game I play on steam takes anywhere from 3-10 attempts on starting it up before it doesn't instantly shut the game down again. I get a lot of dll issues and kernel issues. I attempted things on bios defaults to the same issues essentially. Was having them months ago as if you look through my post history had it happen a whole ago. Even did a full windows wipe and restore to be having numerous issues. Looks at my like crash log history in the last 16 days or something, only 3 of them hasn't the computer not had a crash of either bsod or some other significant crash.

Feb 18, 2024

My biggest concern though similar to what you said, I have this lambo but I'm using it/driving like a pryus. I spent a lot of money on it as you can see I just want to get the most out of while not essentially running it into the ground but enjoying these graphic intensive games to the fullest as I saved up for a long time had a computer for like 8 years before that that was like a 1060 or some crap.

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Everything except Dragon's Dogma 3 hints at hardware instability. Could be the result of overclocking, or the motherboard VRM failing (unlikely but), bad GPU, faulty PSU... As you can see there's too much guesswork. Let the boys and girls who built the machine do it.

Dragon's Dogma 3 is just terribly unstable and crash prone on any system, so we can exclude it here :D

Feb 18, 2024
Everything except Dragon's Dogma 3 hints at hardware instability. Could be the result of overclocking, or the motherboard VRM failing (unlikely but), bad GPU, faulty PSU... As you can see there's too much guesswork. Let the boys and girls who built the machine do it.

Dragon's Dogma 3 is just terribly unstable and crash prone on any system, so we can exclude it here :D
Yeah I was a bit more understanding with dd2 as any new big game like this I've found with my little knowledge aren't very optimised for a little while? Yeah guess it's just best to send it to them. I've requested when they look at it to change some parts anyway thay I'll pay for just as I said I'm not confident with it so I'd like to upgrade change my cpu cooling and change fans. Wouldn't recommend cooler master. Things are rattling like crazy already. Maybe change my Ram as well? As the other lad said not the best speed? I was the one that chose all the parts for the pc they just put it together. Looking at it with your experience? For an even more optimal gaming experience what would you change? Or upgrade? I think I'm gunna get a better cooling cpu system. I've heard a corsair aio system is really good. Part of me wants to change my ssd's I'm iffy on them . Got no reason to be but I just am lol.
Like I'm currently crashing on poe, voidtrain, r6 siege.
Any suggestions on things to maybe change out would be appreciated (to maximise ultra gaming) I'm happy to pay for as I want this to last a long time. I've treated it really well to which is what's even more disappointing. I gave a brother who treats his pc like shit, dust all over it never turns it off and it runs better than mine 😂

Yeah it sounds like an instability either in configuration or something is failing. If it was down to one game I'd say start poking around, but given that it's running above stock and you definitely aren't the one who did it they should take care of it even though it's super inconvenient.

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO beats the pants off of much fancier coolers. Or you can go with the Japanese Scythe Mugen 6 black.
If you insist on water cooling, try Silverstone IceMyst 360.

If you want Lamborghini cooling, EKWB. Expect Lambo prices.

Your RAM isn't slow. The latency is high at CL40. But it's very hard to find lower latencies on 2x32Gb modules. If you had gone with a 2x16 kit for 32 Gb of RAM, you could have found a "faster" RAM. Is the 64 Gb of RAM worth it to you? If it isn't you can sell the 64 kit and buy this:
https://www.gskill.com/product/165/371/1642064878/F5-6400J3239G16GX2-TZ5S-F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5S
or this
https://www.gskill.com/product/165/374/1642064699/F5-6400J3239G16GX2-TZ5RK-F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RK
It's 6400Mhz CL32, and compatible with your motherboard.
tl;dr RAM is fine. Swap it only if you feel like it.

Your SSDs are among the best. No worthwhile upgrade exists.

Feb 18, 2024
Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO beats the pants off of much fancier coolers. Or you can go with the Japanese Scythe Mugen 6 black.
If you insist on water cooling, try Silverstone IceMyst 360.

If you want Lamborghini cooling, EKWB. Expect Lambo prices.

Your RAM isn't slow. The latency is high at CL40. But it's very hard to find lower latencies on 2x32Gb modules. If you had gone with a 2x16 kit for 32 Gb of RAM, you could have found a "faster" RAM. Is the 64 Gb of RAM worth it to you? If it isn't you can sell the 64 kit and buy this:
https://www.gskill.com/product/165/371/1642064878/F5-6400J3239G16GX2-TZ5S-F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5S
or this
https://www.gskill.com/product/165/374/1642064699/F5-6400J3239G16GX2-TZ5RK-F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RK
It's 6400Mhz CL32, and compatible with your motherboard.
tl;dr RAM is fine. Swap it only if you feel like it.

Your SSDs are among the best. No worthwhile upgrade exists.
In all honesty I'm gunna sound like an idiot but I just went 32x2 because I just thought bigger is better, more 'space' the better it'd perform. I use my computer as a gaming pc only. For a variety of gaming. From high graphics intensity gaming to fps games. So I don't really care what the Ram is only that it enhances my gaming experience so I wouldn't know what id need lol