Question Asus Rog maximus z790 hero

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 18, 2024
So I've been having a lot of issues with my computer lately. It's high end
Rtx 4090 gpu
I9 13900 CPI
64 gb Ram corsair
Asus rog hero z790 motherboard
2x samsung ssd 980 pro
But I'm having so many issues playing any game. Example: path of exile crashing randomly sometimes on start up others during load screens between maps
Although it does consistently with all game bar valorant crash on start up. I'll have to attempt to load it anywhere from 2 to 8 times before I can play a game ranging from all types of games. Heavy load games to as previously mentioned poe.
I'm not computer savvy in the slightest hence this PC was bought as a custom build pc from a company called scorptek. I did take the back off and just have a look and did find 2 cables plugged into one end of something and not the other. One is plugged into my psu but nothing else the other looks to be plugged into something in my motherboard ssd? Or of the like maybe? But nothing at other end

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
In all honesty I'm gunna sound like an idiot but I just went 32x2 because I just thought bigger is better
I did that. ... There's a lot of it going around. :D

In my defense, i was building a PC to last many many years, and the 2x32 kit was reasonably priced. I also don't care at all for latecny or speed. I wanted stock speeds. (4800Mhz in my case)

I use my computer as a gaming pc only. For a variety of gaming. From high graphics intensity gaming to fps games. So I don't really care what the Ram is only that it enhances my gaming experience

You definetly want low latency and high speed then.

Feb 18, 2024
So if I'm looking at Ram, what am I looking at that indicates it has high speed and low latency? Haha I'm not sure what high speed looks like or what tells me it has low latency?

Feb 18, 2024
I did that. ... There's a lot of it going around. :D

In my defense, i was building a PC to last many many years, and the 2x32 kit was reasonably priced. I also don't care at all for latecny or speed. I wanted stock speeds. (4800Mhz in my case)

You definetly want low latency and high speed then.
Holy * i just looked at the Ram price of those g skill ones hahaha I see what you mean about high end 😂

Last edited by a moderator:

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Here you will find all RAM kits tested by Asus:

low latency is CL30 or CL32. CL28 exists, but i doubt you can find large modules with that latency.
Look at the heading Timing. It's the first number in the series.
For example: 32-39-39-102 timing indicated CL32

RAM Speed is much simpler. Higher is faster/better. Find the fastest, largest RAM kit your motherboard supports, and pick the one with the lowest latency. CL32 and CL30 really make a difference for gaming, so it's better for you to settle for lower speed but low latency.