Asus ROG PG348Q 34-inch Curved G-Sync Monitor Review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009

As a 34" 3440x1440 monitor and 40" 4K TV user i can tell you that the 3440x1440 is more useful due to a simple thing, text is not minuscule to need Text Reslolution scale that brings lots of issues with it. Also the GPU is not taxed as much as in 4K, you only loose a bit of vertical and horizontal resolution in favour of practicality.

4K at this point is just a marketing point to sell stuff in 2016/17

Sam Hain

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013
Lost me when I saw that price tag and have to manually OC "up to" 100Hz, regardless IF warranted to reach 100Hz by ASUS or not. If you get one that does not reach it, sure they'll honor it but YOU have to send it back. Not a very good purchase/OC-plan in anyone's book, regardless of how good the picture quality is... that is irrelevant if the thing does not perform as advertised.

Release the monitor at it's full capable refresh rate at the factory if you (ASUS) stand by this product, or do you?

MaxxOmega

Distinguished
May 24, 2011

Clearly you know nothing about Gaming or Gamers these days. It's not the "kids" playing. It's the career professionals. I play with Doctors, Lawyers, and dozens of military guys stationed in the middle east. The average gamer age is 34 years old to 36 years old depending on surveys I have seen. We have the money to spend, not the kids.
Computer hardware has been driven by gaming for decades. You don't need this type of hardware or multiple GPU's in a machine to run Word in an Office.
My solution to the problem of which to buy, either 3144 x 1440 or 4K is simple. I bought both. I have about 8 monitors here on 5 desktops and I can play certain games on certain setups. I adopted 2560 x 1600 years ago and have already been running on 3 x 30 inch Dell monitors.
There are many of us with lots of disposable income out there that don't care about cost. I spend far less on this than people I know who spend on their kids or $300 - $500 a month on cigarettes and booze.

It's a great time to be a gamer

poochiepiano

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010

Congrats on having a job, but you missed the point. He is saying that the market is mostly career professionals but the design choices cater to the tastes of teenagers. Things like gaudy monitor stands, cases, RGB lighting everywhere, "gaming" keyboards, etc.

quovadis123

Honorable
Jan 12, 2015
Wow,
it's easier to buy a house or a car than a monitor. Been looking for 7 weeks, I cannot take a decision. The panel lottery really scares me. I may wait for the Samsung monitors to come out. However, I know very little about AMD cards, so this is an additional worry.
I am currently gaming on Asus 144hz 1080 x 3, with two titans in SLI. The titans are old models (my dog runs faster), and I doubt they would be able to push either a 1440 or a 4k.

I can tell you that my 780Ti SLI rig still runs 2560x1440p fairly well, but a few games I have to turn down a couple of settings (like ACS).

Sam Hain

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013

I don't know about Samsung products these days; phones catching fire, dryers rattling apart. LOL, you might need a fire extinguisher and/or buffering material for any monitor/display/TV they make.

In all seriousness, look here:

http://www.144hzmonitors.com/best-gaming-monitor-2016/

https://www.monitornerds.com/best-gaming-monitor-for-you-144hz-1440p-gsync-freesync-4k/

https://elitegamingcomputers.com/best-gaming-monitors/

Lots of viewing, but you'll notice certain displays ranking consistently on all three... Your 2-way Titan SLI should drive a 1440p no problem, even if it's a 144Hz one.

One way to test, is to set your current NV panel to DSR 1.78, so when in games, you'll have the option to select 2560 x 1440; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isALzFmYjV8 DSR is not EXACTLY like owning a higher rez monitor... BUT, for FREE, it's a damn good option if you have a 1080p 144Hz monitor.

You can also DSR to 4K, but honestly, I don't see the net-worth of GPU "strain" vs. 1440p and higher frames and great quality already. A true 4K display@ 60Hz, is a waste of money; increased visual quality = higher GPU requirement/strain with a lower monitor frequency response. This makes no sense... 1440p/144Hz is the "sweet-spot" with settings cranked here and there as a balance for performance and visual eye-candy. Just my opinion.

EDIT: If you are rendering, vid/photo editing etc. along w/gaming THEN 4K would probably make more sense I suppose, but as I do not perform these tasks I cannot say for certain.

Hope this helps!

MaxxOmega

Distinguished
May 24, 2011

Um....what does that have to do with anything?

poochiepiano

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010

I mean, you're the one that brought it up. Nothing to say about the rest of the post, though, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.