Review Asus ROG Rapture GT-AXE11000 WiFi 6E Gaming Router Review: Fast but Finicky

My GT-AC5300 had firmware issues when I bought it in late 2018. It had firmware issues when I stopped using it in 2019. It had firmware issues in 2020 when I tried using it again. It had firmware issues in 2021 when it would do one of the following:
1.) Not boot at all
2.) Boot without DHCP
3.) Boot with DHCP but without wifi at all
4.) Boot with DHCP but without WAN
5.) Boot with DHCP and WAN but without 2.4Ghz Wifi. This was acceptable until it lost power at which point we started playing this game again. I'd spend hours trying to get it up and running at which point it would work just fine until it lost power again.

Asus refused to do anything about it because it's a few months out of warranty. All of the above are issues routinely experienced by other users.

Right now it sits unplugged on a table. Its purpose is to scare small children because it looks like a spider. I'm considering smashing it or melting it with my acetylene torch next time I have a plumbing project.

I replaced it with an inexpensive mini-PC running PFSense and an Ubiquiti access point. More features and no issues whatsoever.

I have lost all confidence in Asus quality assurance. Bottom line is that Asus has a history of not fixing firmware issues. If this product has problems now, it will continue to have problems into the future.

Reactions: jonathan1683

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I feel routers are getting too complicated and unnecessarily expensive. This may probably be the fastest consumer level router, but how much faster will it be, and most importantly, will it drastically improve user experience? To be honest, I don't think it will be the case.

Yeah, I don't know why you don't test a 6E router with actual 6E client devices. The main reason an early adopter would buy this is for 6E support. Plus, I also would have liked to see tests of that 2.5GbE LAN. If you have devices capable of 6E, you probably have 2.5GbE support as well.

In other words, test a new product with the "latest" with the requisite "latest" clients as well.

Egrunt

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2013
My GT-AC5300 had firmware issues when I bought it in late 2018. It had firmware issues when I stopped using it in 2019. It had firmware issues in 2020 when I tried using it again. It had firmware issues in 2021 when it would do one of the following:
1.) Not boot at all
2.) Boot without DHCP
5.) Boot with DHCP and WAN but without 2.4Ghz Wifi. This was acceptable until it lost power at which point we started playing this game again. I'd spend hours trying to get it up and running at which point it would work just fine until it lost power again.

Asus refused to do anything about it because it's a few months out of warranty. All of the above are issues routinely experienced by other users.

Right now it sits unplugged on a table. Its purpose is to scare small children because it looks like a spider. I'm considering smashing it or melting it with my acetylene torch next time I have a plumbing project.

I replaced it with an inexpensive mini-PC running PFSense and an Ubiquiti access point. More features and no issues whatsoever.

I have lost all confidence in Asus quality assurance. Bottom line is that Asus has a history of not fixing firmware issues. If this product has problems now, it will continue to have problems into the future.

Just over 3 years of ownership with the GT-AC5300. Solid performance with 22 clients in the house. However recently my wife has had lagging issues. Did a hard reset (factory reset) on Monday and all is well. However I am looking for a WiFi6 router just in case the issue returns. What router are you using now?

Just over 3 years of ownership with the GT-AC5300. Solid performance with 22 clients in the house. However recently my wife has had lagging issues. Did a hard reset (factory reset) on Monday and all is well. However I am looking for a WiFi6 router just in case the issue returns. What router are you using now?

UAP-AC-LR

Apr 29, 2021
1.) Not boot at all
2.) Boot without DHCP

I have the AXE11000, this router is booting with no WAN IP, I have to pull the wan cat connection and reinsert every time the router is rebooted. Also have issues with Nest Cameras and all they suggest is to disable any features including wifi6. What was the point of buying this particular router then? I tried to work with them because yes this is a new product. My mistake, now that I went past my return period. #NeverAgainAsus

Oct 27, 2021
I feel routers are getting too complicated and unnecessarily expensive. This may probably be the fastest consumer level router, but how much faster will it be, and most importantly, will it drastically improve user experience? To be honest, I don't think it will be the case.

Yes this is a really old post so necromancers unite!!!!!!!

I think it is always good to have a range to choose from for your needs. Everyone's networks (theoretically speaking are different) some simple and some more complex. It's nice to have a choice and a high ceiling if you desire that from you router. Want a simple router - no problem buy away but having options is a good thing.

I like to play (don't NEED things but like to explore possibilities - IT Vet 30 years - Tech Lead). Everything isn't about needing it. Like overclocking a CPU for bragging rights to see what you can achieve - I'm looking at you overly complex cooling system that possibly leak on your MB for a non-noticeable benchmark. :)