Question Asus Rog Strix 1070 OC Stuttering

Apr 17, 2020
Ok, I'm seriously going to pull my hair out on this one!

I recently sold my RX 580 due to the same stuttering issues, thinking it was the drivers on AMD's side of things, which isn't untrue to say the least. With the old 580 I would get high frames but really bad stuttering due to the gpu clock clocking down as GPU usage would drop well below 50/60% for a second, causing a lag spike. This would happen every 5-20 seconds or so. With the old 580 I tried messing with the voltage and clock speeds and what not, only ever managing to make things ever so slightly better, without truly fixing the issue.

Fast forward to the 1070 that I've had in my system only for a couple of days, and its the SAME damn problem! My frames are of course even higher now, but my GPU never quite reaches 100% usage, it tops off at 80-99% at the most, and every few seconds will lag spike as the core clock partially clocks down. Being the OC edition rog 1070 it automatically goes into boost mode, without any manual overclocking my card tops out at about 1890-1901mhz. The GPU seldom drops below 40% in usage, but with this card the stuttering is less drastic, but more continuous, the gameplay is almost smooth, until it isn't. I've messed with both the ASUS and MSI overclocking suites, and nothing changes. The weirdest part of all, is in the metro 2033 and last light benchmarks, according to the graph at the end as soon I get a stutter and fps drop, I also spike up to a stupidly high FPS a nano second later - I can see this during the benchmark too. V Sync doesn't prevent these high/low FPS numbers either.

I've been jigging around with different drivers, driver settings, reseating the card, using a different PCI-E cable, clearing cache, disabling/enabling windows tick, putting RAM and CPU back to stock clocks and voltages, . I sold my 580 thinking it was a software issue, now I'm convinced its hardware related. And I'm sure my CPU can't be bottlenecking either, its an R5 2600, I usually have it at a stable 4.1ghz. All my temps are WELL within thermal limits too... Can anyone shed some light on this?

Rig:
R5 2600 @ 4.1ghz
Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB on XMP @3200mhz
Aorus B450m Mobo
Hyper 212 Black Cooler
Sabrent 1TB NVME
Corsair CX550W PSU, non modular, black.