Asus ROG STRIX 1080 power

Noodlesbadoodles

Reputable
Jan 16, 2015
Hey, guys! I'm fairly new to this so sorry if this is a dumb question. But I want to purchase the Asus ROG strix 1080 gpu. After reading about it I understand they have a different way of fan control than what I'm used to. From what I understand they hook up to existing fans? If that's the case I only have one fan in my PC.. Or can I bypass that and not use it? I just don't want to order it and not be able to use it. Thanks!

https://rog.asus.com/articles/gaming-graphics-cards/strix-gtx-10801070-what-is-asus-fancontrol/

Solution
it would be very stupid of them to make it compulsory you had to connect case fans to the gpu

to be honest its a little bit of a gimmick--our card can do this yours cant kind of thing

would it benefit every one?

not really because if you hook them up then the case fans react to gpu temperature not cpu

modern gpus dont actually run that hot any way

cpus run hotter in a lot of cases so having the case fans react to the cpu temperature is still what benefits most people in my opinion
think you can bypass the case fans

if connected to the graphics card they would adjust the speed of the case fans depending on gpu temperature

instead of the way its usually done--ie by cpu temperature

but you should have a minimum of 2 case fans always 1 is no good for airflow at all

Noodlesbadoodles

Reputable
Jan 16, 2015

I guess I should've said that the only fans I have are the 3 that are attached to my CPU cooler. The reason for no fans is because my case is open. So heat isn't really an issue.

But I'm just concerned if I order that 1080 I won't be able to hook it up.

it would be very stupid of them to make it compulsory you had to connect case fans to the gpu

to be honest its a little bit of a gimmick--our card can do this yours cant kind of thing

would it benefit every one?

not really because if you hook them up then the case fans react to gpu temperature not cpu

modern gpus dont actually run that hot any way

cpus run hotter in a lot of cases so having the case fans react to the cpu temperature is still what benefits most people in my opinion

Solution