[SOLVED] ASUS ROG STRIX 5700 XT crashing (SOLVED)

Dec 14, 2020
Hello I am having some odd issues with the new 5700XT I purchased and installed. I initially installed the 20.11.2 driver after installation and everything seemed to be working. So I launched up CP2077 and put the game on ultra. Ran smooth like butter for about 10 minutes before crashing, as well as some minor graphical bugs (grenades not appearing in my hand) so with as buggy as CP2077 is I just chalked it up to the game and not the GPU. Well I then ran WoW Shadowlands and started doing Torghast. Got to the 2nd floor before I crashed there. Thought that was a little odd since I have never had that game crash over anything other than internet issues. Thats when I started to look into the GPU. Found that AMD seems to have some bad drivers. So as an attempted fix I used DDU to remove the drivers then installed the 19.12.1 version as I read that had a much better stability. Unfortunately this did not resolve anything, in fact the WoW crashes got worse as the whole PC black screened. Now I have not played too much with turning down any settings, I also noticed it doesnt seem to matter if I have any of the 'extras' turned on in the software side like freesync/textures/etc. Any one have any thoughts on this? Per the research I have done I found that installing driver only might fix the problem. I tried to work around this by ending all AMD Radeon software tasks to no avail. So at the moment I have DDU'd once again and will try anything anyone might suggest. I would rather not have to return this card and swap back to my 1070.

System Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700 X
RAM: 32 GB DDR4 (Might be DDR3 I forgot) Ballistix
MOBO: ASUS ROG B450F
GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RX 5700 XT 8GB
PSU: 750W 80+ Gold
Background Apps: Discord / Brave
Driver Version: Went back to to the 2020 version of the drivers as it had a little more stability. I was able to run WoW Shadowlands for about 45min - 1 hr before blackscreening.

Dec 14, 2020
Try to check windows event logs and see what type of errors you’re getting. Or try going to drivers manager and head to your GPU driver to see if any errors shows.

Pulled up Device Manager and checked it out, here is what I found. View: https://imgur.com/oWVmT82

I have yet to look into the error just yet though.

How are temps?

I did not think to check them at the time of crashing but I imagine they were fine for the most part. I will have to do more testing later. I know CP2077 crashes much faster that older games so I am wary to blame temperature immediately.

HappyTrails

Upstanding
Oct 30, 2020
Glad you got it fixed. Enjoying Cyberpunk 2077? For me I wasn't expect to enjoy it this much its excellent. I know they did bad thing about ps4 and old xbox. That will hurt them.. Visually wish could use raytrace on but understand. :)

Dec 14, 2020
Glad you got it fixed. Enjoying Cyberpunk 2077? For me I wasn't expect to enjoy it this much its excellent. I know they did bad thing about ps4 and old xbox. That will hurt them.. Visually wish could use raytrace on but understand. :)
Yeah im enjoying it quite a bit. Its not the best game I've ever played but thats quite alright. I do think they would have been much better off not releasing the game on old gen... at least then people would be mad about that instead of a poorly optimized experience on old hardware.