Question ASUS ROG Strix b450-f gaming motherboard ram/motherboard issue

Aug 21, 2020
I'm new to these forums so apologies ahead of time if this is in the wrong section. I've been having trouble recently with my system, specifically noticing my debug LEDs doing something odd on boot. When turning on my computer, the normal boot order the LEDs show is ram -> cpu -> vga -> boot, but the one I get is a bit worrying recently. It goes ram -> cpu -> switches back to ram, and then goes through the rest normally and boots up. In short, on the first time it moves to the cpu, it immediately goes back to the ram then proceeds normally and all is well once booted.

This issue didn't seem much to begin with, probably just my board being weird seeing as everything was fine otherwise. Temps fine, no weird clock speeds, etc. But recently I've become quite worried. A few weeks ago, it randomly put itself into power cycle mode so I shut it off and left it for a while. After turning it on it booted fine and then 5 minutes later did the same thing. I repeated the turning it off and waiting a little until I was met with a "repairing c: drive" screen to which afterwards it went back to normal, still with the same LED thing going on but it was working again so I left it.

Fast forward to a few days ago and now my computer just completely freezes after a few hours of up-time with the dram LED on. I left it for 10 minutes to see if anything would happen and nothing so I flipped the psu, left it, rebooted and boom we're back to normal, nothing odd. Then today is where things got worrying. Right on boot the computer went through a power cycle until getting stuck on the dram led once again. I turned off the psu, turned it back on and it went through another power cycle but this time booted into a post screen. It said it set my memory settings back to default due to a failure to boot, went back into bios, put on docp, and now we're all normal again after that.

I've tried swapping memory slots, swapping the slots each of the sticks were in themselves, booting with a single stick and still the same issue. I'm clueless on what's actually going on and am currently on the mindset that there's something wrong with the dimm slots or the motherboard itself. If anybody can offer any assistance it would be greatly appreciated. This is the system I rely on for my game development studies and if something happens to it I'm gonna be facing a lot of trouble for the remaining semester. Thank you a bunch in advance

System specs:

Ryzen 7 2700
ASUS B450-F ROG Strix motherboard (bios version 3103 - latest one)
Gigabyte rtx 2070 gaming oc
Lexar nm610 nvme ssd
Corsair vengeance lpx ddr4-3000mhz ram
Cougar GX-S 650w gold power supply
Deep cool captain 240ex AiO

Nothing is overclocked as well, all is stock with the ram at it's docp settings.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
I'm new to these forums so apologies ahead of time if this is in the wrong section. I've been having trouble recently with my system, specifically noticing my debug LEDs doing something odd on boot. When turning on my computer, the normal boot order the LEDs show is ram -> cpu -> vga -> boot, but the one I get is a bit worrying recently. It goes ram -> cpu -> switches back to ram, and then goes through the rest normally and boots up. In short, on the first time it moves to the cpu, it immediately goes back to the ram then proceeds normally and all is well once booted.

This issue didn't seem much to begin with, probably just my board being weird seeing as everything was fine otherwise. Temps fine, no weird clock speeds, etc. But recently I've become quite worried. A few weeks ago, it randomly put itself into power cycle mode so I shut it off and left it for a while. After turning it on it booted fine and then 5 minutes later did the same thing. I repeated the turning it off and waiting a little until I was met with a "repairing c: drive" screen to which afterwards it went back to normal, still with the same LED thing going on but it was working again so I left it.

Fast forward to a few days ago and now my computer just completely freezes after a few hours of up-time with the dram LED on. I left it for 10 minutes to see if anything would happen and nothing so I flipped the psu, left it, rebooted and boom we're back to normal, nothing odd. Then today is where things got worrying. Right on boot the computer went through a power cycle until getting stuck on the dram led once again. I turned off the psu, turned it back on and it went through another power cycle but this time booted into a post screen. It said it set my memory settings back to default due to a failure to boot, went back into bios, put on docp, and now we're all normal again after that.

I've tried swapping memory slots, swapping the slots each of the sticks were in themselves, booting with a single stick and still the same issue. I'm clueless on what's actually going on and am currently on the mindset that there's something wrong with the dimm slots or the motherboard itself. If anybody can offer any assistance it would be greatly appreciated. This is the system I rely on for my game development studies and if something happens to it I'm gonna be facing a lot of trouble for the remaining semester. Thank you a bunch in advance

System specs:

Ryzen 7 2700
ASUS B450-F ROG Strix motherboard (bios version 3103 - latest one)
Gigabyte rtx 2070 gaming oc
Lexar nm610 nvme ssd
Corsair vengeance lpx ddr4-3000mhz ram
Cougar GX-S 650w gold power supply
Deep cool captain 240ex AiO

Nothing is overclocked as well, all is stock with the ram at it's docp settings.

Hi @SumKindaApple

Welcome to Tom's!

Great info and thanks for being so thorough in listing everything out.

I'm sure you're already thought of this, but have you tried entirely new RAM altogether? Do you have any you can try or a friend that would let you borrow his/hers to try and narrow down the issue? If you Install different RAM and the problem goes away, then it's the RAM. If the problem persists, then more trouble shooting is needed.

Even DDR4-2133 would work. I'm not asking you to go and buy more RAM, just a thought if you could get your hands on some for testing purposes...

Have you tried unplugging all optical drives as well as any SSD's/HDD's just to verify. Did the issue always exist or just after the Bios was flashed? Possibly flash back to an earlier Ver.?

Aug 21, 2020
Hi @SumKindaApple

Welcome to Tom's!

Great info and thanks for being so thorough in listing everything out.

I'm sure you're already thought of this, but have you tried entirely new RAM altogether? Do you have any you can try or a friend that would let you borrow his/hers to try and narrow down the issue? If you Install different RAM and the problem goes away, then it's the RAM. If the problem persists, then more trouble shooting is needed.

Even DDR4-2133 would work. I'm not asking you to go and buy more RAM, just a thought if you could get your hands on some for testing purposes...

Have you tried unplugging all optical drives as well as any SSD's/HDD's just to verify. Did the issue always exist or just after the Bios was flashed? Possibly flash back to an earlier Ver.?
I've already tested both the hard drive and ssd in my system and those don't seem to be the problem. As far as testing new ram goes I don't really have the ability to to do that. Most of my friends live a pretty far distance away from me (like a couple hours worth of a drive) and I don't have any ram laying around my house.

The problem itself was around before the bios was flashed as well, the only answers that gives me is something is shorting the board, the dimm slots are damaged in some way, or the ram itself is having an issue.

I have read some boards get shorted from the back plate of after market coolers but I don't think that's the case as this would've started happening much earlier back in January if it was.