[SOLVED] ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F with ryzen 7 3700X

Oct 8, 2020
Hi,
I recently planned to build a gaming-pc. This is my first ever build, so some questions have risen up. I allready contacted a friend of mine to help me with a problem. My rig is going to have a ryzen 7 3700X, and i first planned for a MSI B450 tomahawk. After some searching around however, I found the ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING. Checking on pcpartpicker, it told me that the chipset needs to be flashed, but my friend did a bit fo research and told me that it'll work, but he wasn’t sure either.

So the main question is: does the B450-F require a bios flash or am I good to just pair it with a ryzen 7 3700X?

Solution
Hi,
I recently planned to build a gaming-pc. This is my first ever build, so some questions have risen up. I allready contacted a friend of mine to help me with a problem. My rig is going to have a ryzen 7 3700X, and i first planned for a MSI B450 tomahawk. After some searching around however, I found the ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING. Checking on pcpartpicker, it told me that the chipset needs to be flashed, but my friend did a bit fo research and told me that it'll work, but he wasn’t sure either.

So the main question is: does the B450-F require a bios flash or am I good to just pair it with a ryzen 7 3700X?
You need Bios version 2301 or newer.
So it depends, if you get an old stock from a year ago, you likely will need to...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

If the box of the board has a label on it stating, Ryzen 3000 series supported, it means it has the necessary BIOS update for the board for you to drop the Ryzen 7 processor into it. I would also ask you to buy without fear since by now, every B450 has their BIOS flashed from the factory to cater to the 3000 series processors. Why don't you just remove all the guess work and invest in a B550 or A520 chipset?

Hi,

You need Bios version 2301 or newer.
So it depends, if you get an old stock from a year ago, you likely will need to flash the Bios (and have an older compatible CPU). If recently produced it will have a compatible Bios.
Il you have access to the box, you'll see an orange sticker with "AMD RYZEN 3000 READY" on it

EDIT: and why not go with Lutfij suggestion of a newer chipset

Solution
Oct 8, 2020
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

If the box of the board has a label on it stating, Ryzen 3000 series supported, it means it has the necessary BIOS update for the board for you to drop the Ryzen 7 processor into it. I would also ask you to buy without fear since by now, every B450 has their BIOS flashed from the factory to cater to the 3000 series processors. Why don't you just remove all the guess work and invest in a B550 or A520 chipset?

thanks for the quick reply, but seeing that the b550-f gaming is €72,- more expensive and the b450 just works, i'll think i'm just going with the b450-f gaming

That ASUS board has poor VRM’s that run very hot. I would not consider it.

I have the MSI B450 Tomahawk Max and it’s a great value board. However with the stuff that has come to light recently about MSI I cannot support them anymore regardless of if they have a good product.