Review Asus ROG Strix LC GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Review: The Fastest Card We've Ever Tested

Tech0000

Commendable
Jan 30, 2021
yeah so high end graphics cards RTX-anything and AMD-anything are unobtainium - therefore any review is frustratingly meaningless. Scalpers and crypto mines are the only buyers - don't see this changing anytime. Hopefully "Lovelace" will have better availability when it launches next year. At this stage in the product generation cycle, you might as well skip and RTX 30xx all together. Stick with what you got until next year.

yeah so high end graphics cards RTX-anything and AMD-anything are unobtainium - therefore any review is frustratingly meaningless. Scalpers and crypto mines are the only buyers - don't see this changing anytime. Hopefully "Lovelace" will have better availability when it launches next year. At this stage in the product generation cycle, you might as well skip and RTX 30xx all together. Stick with what you got until next year.
Depends where you are. I’m UK and I’ve just looked and can find several 3080Ti versions in stock between £1400-£1700 for delivery tomorrow.

But..!!!....in all honesty, only the braindead would shell out £1400-£1700 (-$2336.90) for a 'gaming' (!!) GPU.

Shocking, disgusting, pathetic...need I say more!
I agree the price is insane, I paid £750 for my 3080. You can’t compare GBP to USD as we have 20% VAT on the price. Usually the USD and GBP numbers are similar so 750GBP would normally sell at about 750 USD. However the point was they are in stock, if people would stop paying these prices they would drop.

Reactions: Friesiansam
I have the Asus 6800xt version of this Asus WC line-up, apart from the Asus logo on the side it is nearly identical. And yes it is a 1440p beast.... cool, quiet (once I replaced the poor quality Asus fans that had a lot of play in them and rattled with Noctua fans) and looks a peach !!!

LolaGT

Reputable
Oct 31, 2020
What a monster, but these are never seen owned by the masses, not even the similar cards of ten years ago. These are for the elite with literally money to burn.

Also, PoW isn't going away any time soon. Certainly not in months, not in 2022, maybe in a couple years.

Apr 1, 2020
I just find it harder and harder to get excited about GPUs as long as the prices are so out of whack, the economy looks worse every day, and the upper end becomes out of reach for more and more people.

Back before this insanity and we had the $1200 2080 Ti it was expensive for sure, BUT it was the ultra high end AND with 12 month financing affordable for most anyone with a steady job, so it wasn't out of reach for the majority.

In 2021 with rampant inflation affecting everyday life and insane GPU prices, it's a far different story. When you're talking upwards of $2000 for a GPU, even though it is ultra high end, it's not exactly attainable for most people anymore .

And to me that just takes all the fun out of it. Unlike other things far too expensive for most people to ever dream of owning, such as an exotic car or expansive house, there's nothing about a GPU to marvel at or to get excited about for not owning one other than knowing that one day that performance will become the next mainstream and then entry level performance.

The problem is, if the trend continues, that performance boost for mainstream and entry levels will be followed by a major price increase.

Co BIY

Splendid
Every graphics card over $1000 should have a AIO style remote cooler.

It seems like the marginal added cost shouldn't be very much. The difference between high end air and AIO is not too much.

Last edited:

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
If I could have a guess, the middling people with both the income and financial sense to keep a healthy rainy-day reserve (but not much more) are also often financially too sensible to buy high-end GPUs like these for themselves at current prices, unless they need it for a living.

Sometimes I wonder that - mining wannabes and actual miners excluded - how many of these are really bought by those both with the use themselves, as opposed to their offspring or S.O. etc., and the means themselves, as opposed to those of their guardians, or some other windfall.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2020
I imagine a fair amount are bought too by people as a response to a relationship breakup or other sort of mild crisis the same way people going through a mid life crisis buy an expensive sports car or motorcycle, as well as with people who need to overcompensate for something.

I imagine a fair amount are bought too by people as a response to a relationship breakup or other sort of mild crisis the same way people going through a mid life crisis buy an expensive sports car or motorcycle, as well as with people who need to overcompensate for something.
There are people who have spent tens of thousands of dollars on Star Citizen, probably other games as well. Of course, they should be buying an RTX 3090 if they have that much money to burn.

I am afraid for the further potential stagnation of competition with GPUs considering the state the market is in. We may have similar performing GPUs to what was once 300 dollars having a starting MSRP of 600 in the future. Right now it is so easy for retailers to make hand over fist money on GPUs while AMD and Nvidia lost a lot of potential easy earnings at the beginning of the 3000 and 6000 series launches. I fear AMD and Nvidia will try to take advantage of this in the next release cycle within 2 years.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
So they basically copy-pasted over from the 6900XT LC that popped up earlier. I don't know what I was expecting...

People are willing to pay those prices, so there's no real reason to lower them. Heck, raise them and increase profits even more! Nothing, and no one else matters but making that sweet bank and happy investors.
Expect the next gens to start off with higher MSRPs if things don't calm down by then.

No one has the right to tell others how to spend their money - free market, and all that. It'll fix itself.
The cost of that appears to be time; people have voluntarily(?) dragged out the time it'll take for things to back down.
Those not as well off, or are more price-conscious, are becoming increasingly frustrated at the length of time these products are running at these inflated prices.
They will either successfully wait it out, or give in and thus aid in extending the uptime of the inflated pricing.

No, the governments getting involved is not a fix either - that is its own can of worms.
~Ahh, is there no happy medium?

Reactions: helper800
Sep 25, 2021
But..!!!....in all honesty, only the braindead would shell out £1400-£1700 (-$2336.90) for a 'gaming' (!!) GPU.

Shocking, disgusting, pathetic...need I say more!

Well I'm pretty sure I'm not brain dead. I bought one of these rog strix 3080 ti lc oc models for 2189euros. Do I regret it? Not in the slightest. Was it more expensive than previous generations? Yes. But that is the market right now; supply and demand. It's not going to change any time soon and as I use my computer for a lot of my time, then it was a worthwhile investment for me. Some people can say this was a waste of money, but for someone who would spend easily more than this on weed until I quit two years ago, I feel this is a much better investment on my time and money and should last me for quite some time to come. I'm enjoying the temperatures and performance and looks of this card in my new rig. Sure, say it's expensive but saying people are brain dead who are willing/able to buy cards at these kinds of prices is a bit of a rubbish contribution really.

In terms of the card I think it is amazing but it is very bulky and the tubing is a bit too long, iirc it's 580mm which is to allow for more niche case uses presumably, which on an expensive card like this makes sense. In terms of memory cooling and general temperatures this is a great card and definitely I notice quite an uplift in performance in many games versus the 1080 I had before. If you're in the market for this kind of expensive card, I could recommend this one, but would thoroughly research what case and airflow setup you plan to use with this card.