Asus ROG Swift PG258Q Monitor Review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Well we shall then have to agree to disagree. I, like a lot of other computer buyers, don't bother wasting my time or money upgrading CPU's or GPU's every version any more. Hell, I don't even bother every 3 now, because the returns on it are not worth my money. Using the excuse of the tick tock environment just means your drinking the cool aid these companies are pushing out now.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
Wow, THG this is bad! The article was a nice, standard monitor review but you did not go out of your way test in testing if there is value in a 240Hz versus a 120Hz. I know no video card can sustain 240 fps but at least it can approach it many times especially on light games such as Overwatch.

I've seen reviews without telling a definitive answer. The best I found was from NCIX Tech tips in Youtube where the only noticeable difference is on very fast movement such as the flick of the guns during reload sequence in first person shooting games.

Sam Hain

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013

DSR-modes allow up sim-4K rez when gaming. Yes, it's not the same thing... However, when two monitors, side-by-side that do not give away model, spec, etc. one running native 1440p/4K the other DSR matched and ALL settings are same-same w/GPU and game graphics settings etc., it's a hard-sell to tell one from the other.

The desktop scale/rez is where you'll only notice it without really looking. With a quality panel that's zeroed-in @ or under 27", 1080p is livable and quite usable (unless vid/photo edits demand higher rez) without pixels being seen unless your face-planted to it.

I will say this though, that price. Over the top for 1080p, regardless of the specs.

The problem is, gaming is not all we do. I want something 4K in 30" so I can do all my other work. I don't want to be limited by my choosing to game also.

Sam Hain

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013

Hence why I included the second paragraph, i.e. the parenthesis portion in particular as certain workloads and/or individual such as yourself deem higher resolutions, although I did not run the gamut of what all those where ;)

First off, while there's no comparing TN to a quality IPS screen, it must be said that there are very, very few quality AU Optronic models out there. So while 'Id gladly take a $700 1440p 165 Hz monitor over a TN, I'd rather have a quality TN that any other IPS that is not equipped with that expensive optronics panel. If the budget for a 27" 1440p monitor is under $500, I'm going to be using a TN. Don't much care about viewing angles as i don't have a pair of sidekicks on either side of me when gaming.

Nice to see G-sync get down from 30 to 24 fps; while no one wants to play at an acerage fps of 30 .... nice having the range for when minimum fps gets < 40. I expect someday soon we'll see Freesync screens drop similarly from the current 40 fpss. However, I don't really much care about G-Sync support at > 80 fps or so as at that point, I have probably switched to ULMB. However, if 165 Hz brings us 120 hz (73%) w/ ULMB, seems 240 Hz outta bring us up around 175 Hz under ULMB.

My problem is w/ it's price tag, it's a bit too much for a 1080p screen.... I'd be more inclined to move to a 1440p IPS 165 Hz, (AU Optonics) screen w/ 120 Hz ULMB

Finally, I find the following statement disingenuous:

G-Sync is still a premium technology that adds around $200 to the price of any monitor. And we aren’t prepared to declare it superior to FreeSync. When video card performance is properly-matched to a monitor, the experience is the same with either technology

That statement is like comparing the performance of two SUVs and saying that 4 WD adds $ xxx to the cost of any SUV but that you aren't prepared to say that either 2WD or 4WD is superior. One provides the option to go off road if one chooses to. One provides the option to travel with a degree of confidence in a snow storm if one needs to.

And no, G-Sync, in and of itself, does not add $200 to the price of any monitor. With G-Sync you get the strobing functionality of ULMB ... with Freesync you do not. There are Freesync monitors that provide motion blur reduction where the monitor manufacturer has added it via the addition of a hardware module to do so ... but putting in this hardware module also carries a price premium.

As for the LED thing, the marketing guys in the corner offices have declared 2017 as the 'breakthrough technology of 2017" ... and like every other fad, the rallying cry will be 'if we don't act now the product will be doomed to failure" .. and in a year, it will all be passe.

__Isomorph__

Prominent
Apr 2, 2017

LMHO you made my day, Kridian!

Status
Not open for further replies.