Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q Mesh / Grid Pattern / Lines During Motion ???

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
OK, short version in topic, details below:
I own the Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q 144Hz 1440p G-Sync monitor.

So far I am very pleased with it, getting used to the TN panel (had IPS before). There is however one issue that's been bothering me:
Not sure if it's even an issue but...
The monitor produces a half-transparent grid-like/ mesh-like / vertical lines - pattern, during motion, camera movement in games, scrolling etc.

It's very hard to describe, as it's a split / millisecond occurrence, but I manage to notice it rather frequently with my sensitive observant eyes.
It seems to be a form of refresh rate effect. My 60hz 1080 TV for instance, has ghosting during camera motion and also blur - and it re-focuses once I stop. But this monitor is far faster with 1ms response times.

The lines materialize and de-materialize super quickly.
This mesh/vertical lines appear most notably during:
Scrolling down and up fast, you can see the lines appear briefly, especially over images on the webpage.
In games: quick long vertical movements (mainly), as well as horizontal movements of the camera.
Moving the camera or character while looking at plane objects: such as pale white skin, blue sky, snow, smooth walls. Also concentrating on the environment while running in a straight line.
Windows 8 "charms". This is very noticeable: when moving the mouse to the right corner, and pressing on settings or devices: a thicker grey vertical bar of windows' charms appear - when it slides into view: you can see the said vertical lines/mesh effect appear for less than a second. try it for yourself if you have this monitor.
In steam ALT+TAB browser - scrolling the webpage, or steam chat: moving or re-sizing the chat box.

In short: Camera movements, scrolling and motion in general produce vertical lines/mesh effect that's almost translucent, kind of a distortion effect, as it images refresh.

Now this monitor is a beast. It boasts 1ms response time g2g, 144hz refresh rate, rated and confirmed Flicker Free and has Gsync: So I find it odd that it has this effect. Never owned a 1ms monitor before, so I can't tell if it's "normal".

I am using the DisplayPort cable that came with the monitor itself (in the box).
Using Nvidia's latest display driver, the monitor driver (for win8, win8.1 doesn't exist). I also keep my monitor clean, and insure the cables have some slack and aren't bent.

Playing The Witcher 2, I look at the clear sky or the horizon, while running and shifting the camera, I can see those lines/grid appear. Sure if I don't focus on it, or simply concentrate on the game, I won't notice it. However once you see it, it's kinda hard to ignore for a while, and can be distracting and even disturbing a bit.

I am getting the feeling that this is just the way 1ms 144hz TN panel monitors work, or how DisplayPort work, or simply how the ROG SWIFT runs.

Could be the DP cable's quality or cable deterioration maybe? I honestly think it's highly unlikely. I would assume that like HDMI, you either have an image or not at all.

I should also mention that before this ROG SWIFT I had another one that I sent for replacement since it had some back-light bleeding. I remember that the former monitor also had that mesh, although I didn't play-test it in games.

Thanks for your patience, please help if you can. Will appreciate some comments from ROG SWIFT users as well.

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
My specs:
Core i5-3570K (running @ 4.2 Ghz - slight auto voltage OC).
Gigabyte G1 Gaming Geforce GTX 980
Asus Sabertooth Z77 Motherboard
16 GB of G.Skill ripjaw-X DDR3 1600Mhz (x.m.p profile)
SSD 256GB Crucial M4.
HD Western Digital Black 2TB
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
Case: Corsair CC600T Graphite White Special Edition
PSU: Corsair 850AX Gold
Running Win 8.1 64bit. Pro
Monitor: Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q 2560 x 1440 144hz G-Sync
Secondry Screen: 55" TV: Samsung UA55D6400 TV1080p 60Mhz
Connected via Pioneer VSX-823-K AV Receiver

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
I would really appreciate some response and answers? Anyone using ROG SWIFT PG278Q here? Or any other 1ms 144hz monitor (DisplayPort)?
I really need to know if this mesh/lines are normal or if I need to replace something.

Goblingrenade

Reputable
Apr 24, 2015
Sounds like cross hatching to me. If that's the case there's nothing you can really do about it, maybe try and sit further away from your monitor.
I recently returned a monitor due to cross hatching, pretty sure it was caused by the AG coating.

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
What is "cross hatching"?
What do you mean by AG coating causing the issue? and was the issue gone after your replacement?

I am not sure if we are talking about the same thing, mine is like a split-second distortion effect in the form of nearly translucent vertical lines, which appear and disappear in a blink.
The big question is, is there any point of replacing the monitor? Sometimes it's a matter of luck, and better "the devil we know" rather then taking the gambit of replacing into who knows what. Maybe this isn't an issue at all.
Last time I wanted to replace, it took me about 2 months to get the new monitor, maybe more. IT was a nightmare.
Customer support in Israel is terrible, and right now I will be very hard pressed to prove that this mesh/lines effect is real. They will either say "they see nothing" in the lab, or say that it is just how the monitor works.

Now I am beginning to believe that this is truly how the monitor works.. I think my monitor is fine. I just don't want to go through the mess and hassle of replacing a good working monitor, especially since I can never tell what will happen to the next one.
Remember shipping to Israel is overseas, who knows what hardships and potential damage it takes en route. And I will need to send the monitor to the lab, which I rather avoid, since they will do anything to deny any issue, and then I might get my monitor back from the lab: which is far worse in my opinion, having people messing around with it, out of my control.

Therefore.. I just don't know. If this is normal, then so be it. If replacing the DP CABLE will help, I will.
But replacing the monitor... I need to be 100% sure that this is a real "issue", and not the way it's designed.
Like I said, most apparent when scrolling up and down fast over images, or camera motion.

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
I would also like to mention that I run a few motion tests:
UFO TEST.
Ghosting Pursuit.
Blur Trail
Moving Photo
Chase Squares
Motion Picture Response.

All came with Valid results. Usually little to none ghosting (a little in Case Squares). All valid at 144fps (or occasionally 143 fps).
Not sure it means anything, but I thought it might help asset the matter.
Do you guys know if it can be a G-sync related thing?
Or maybe a DisplayPort cable malfunction?
Finally can it be related to the monitor's "OD" mode (mine is set to Normal - but changes to G-sync anways).

doggghouse

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
You're seeing pixel inversion artifacts (see this article about it)... all ROG Swift monitors have the issue, and from what I've read, most 120+ Hz monitors suffer from this as well. I think part of the problem is the inversion pattern they use, with the vertical lines. It's easier to notice the vertical lines than when monitors use a checkerboard pattern of inversion.

I own the ROG Swift as well, and I do notice the pattern, especially on brighter colors that change/move quickly on the screen. I found that if I sit far enough away, I don't notice it nearly as much. Conversely, if I sit an inch from the monitor, I swear I can see the inversion lines flickering even when nothing is changing on the screen.

Xessive

Reputable
Nov 28, 2015

I know exactly what you're talking about and I've got them too.

It was the first thing I noticed about the screen quality. I initially assumed it had to do with the OD (OverDrive) settings but after scouring the net for answers it seems to be something with the Asus ROG PG278Q and I'm gonna have to live with it.

This never happened with my last two Asus monitors: VG278HE and VG248QE, which were both excellent screens.

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

Thank you for your reply!
It has been a while since I posted this, since the issue persists, I appreciate your reply.

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who's experiencing this problem. I guess it's just how the monitor works... I haven't tried buying a new displayport cable, since the cable works fine and I doubt that's the problem. (btw I don't think I've seen displayports cables in shops here in Israel).

I actually never used the OD feature. I am using the monitor on its default settings. G-sync is activated at all times.
You are probably right about this grid/mesh being an issue with ROG SWIFTS in general.

It's a shame since sometimes when you do notice it, it takes away from the high-fps, 1 ms, G-Sync experience. The monitor is supposed to have zero motion blur, and yet it has this "motion-mesh" effect. Which sometimes can be worse than a minor blur.

Have you tried replacing to a higher quality DisplayPort cable btw?
If you sit slightly away from the monitor you wouldn't notice this as frequently, but it's still there.

Xessive

Reputable
Nov 28, 2015

Oh you're welcome! :D

I just got the monitor a few days ago and I have tried it with two different DisplayPort cables: the one it came with and another one I bought. Same result with both cables.

I'm not sure there is way to display this effect via recording since the pixels are relatively small. While a camera lens might not capture it the naked eye can easily spot it.

It's quite frustrating that the monitor has this flaw, considering its quality and cost.

XLNT1337

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015
Hey :)

I just got a new ASUS VG248QE. It's very fast and all but i think i see the same thing.

Especially in game when standing still and watching a big texture like a lake or the sky.
If i slightly move the camera or my character it feels like there is a black meshed texture above the actual game texture.
on some backgrounds its really visible to me. Kind of annoying thing :( but i guess its normal?

it gets worse with lightboost hack and it disappears with 60hz setting... but thats not what id like to run obviously.
It happens with any overdrive setting and i guess there is no way to fix this.

Xessive said it didnt happen to his VG248qe... i am kind of worried now cause i assumed it happens to all 100hz+ monitors.

Can somebody confirm if its a faulty panel or maybe have 2 120hz+ monitor where one doesnt have the issue?

cheers

Xessive

Reputable
Nov 28, 2015

Yeah, this issue didn't happen at all with my VG248QE or my VG278HE. Both monitors were running at 144Hz and gorgeous.

So far the most common response across various forums has been that it is has something to with GSYNC and Asus' design decisions for the ROG SWIFT panel.

XLNT1337

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015
thanks for your reply.

Im running on ~100fps @100hz now and i cant see it anymore.
I have the standard VG248QE tho and no Gsync (module or upgrade kit) and i still got this as i mentioned @ 144hz and even more visible with the lightboost hack.

I read about the Swift problem and its the vertical stripes issue but thats not related with the black meshed texture i think. the pictures i saw (rog swift green lines and so on) show a different problem i think.

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Just wanted to say that about a month ago - I decided to use my Warranty to send my Asus ROG Swift PG278Q to the lab. Here in Israel its not Asus Official lab but a 3rd party lab qualified by Asus-Israel. What's more - they don't replace the entire screen - they replace parts.

After a few weeks, I got my monitor back (well not really): The technician ordered and replaced: Motherboard, Panel (2016), LED back-light board, side-buttons, AC-Adapter+cable, inner Gsync cable (not module). ---> all replaced with new parts, supposedly.
Basically they replaced everything but Gsync module and the Stand/base.

However now it seems that the Pixel Inversion - AKA VERTICAL LINES IN MOTION - is even worse. They seem somewhat slimmer but more prominent/frequent/tight all over the screen.

My question is this;
Is it worth sending it again to the service lab?

I am afraid I will get new troubles (worse inversion/ backlight bleed / dead pixels / discoloration etc...) or scratches and damage on/in screen from treatment...

What should I do!!
(Everything else seems ok or even better - color, led light, no backlight bleed, etc - I think - had it for a week)

XLNT1337

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015
Hey Ransome!

It's been a while :D

So, I think I know what the Problem is... it's the damn 3D coating on matte asus Monitors!
Idk about other brands but i guess all nvidia 3d Vision Monitors have the same issue.
If u want to "fix" the Pixel Inversion/Screen Door Effect/Vertical Lines Problem you'll
have to sell your Monitor and don't buy a "passive" 3D model again!

I think I'll get myself a Dell or HP the next time I'm upgrading,
cause I don't even care about competetive gaming anymore... might aswell just enjoy some Image Quality
and move on to 4k.

As of now I'm running 120hz cause it's less prominent vs 144hz...I guess I got used to it a Little bit.
Sometimes it's still annoying tho.

Cheers :)

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

Hey there.
Truly been a while.

How do you play on 120Hz ? Are you setting it to 120Hz in Nivdia Control Panel - Resolution tab? Or are you using the weird Turbo button on the monitor?(never understood what that thing is good for - makes me paranoid I accidently shift to lower refresh-rate while gaming, lol).

Anyway, I tried changing to 120Hz in NVCP and testing it a bit in Windows, but it didn't change anything: one way to check the inversion is clicking *Windows Button + P* this opens the "project" gray side bar - and produces clear vertical inversion artifacts for a short moment before reforming into solid-gray.

Don't take it the wrong way, but are you sure it's not all in your head?..

This is frustrating. I don' have a real option to sell this screen here, and I honestly never sell hardware.

Not sure if I can ever get use to it or not. Last time (before sending it to service and having nearly all components of it replaced) I kinda got used to it - tough I swear last time I remember it was more translucent and less visable - but it could be my memory fooling me or my mind forcing me to see it now that it's back.

Last night I played Dying Light in coop, to give the monitor a real test - and I just see it everywhere: in smoke and dust clouds, on doors and objects from up close, on character's faces, the sky, effects, the background and the ground.
Thin perfectly parallel BLACK vertical lines covering the entire screen (50% out of 1440p) appearing with the faintest of motion - flickering, vibrating (even while standing still in this game there some motion).

So like I said, I don't feel like sending it to the lab again. Not sure if it's the smart thing to do.
It will take a lots of convincing, possibly shouting. They don't know what to look for, they don't play games and might as well tell me it is fixed when it's not. Futhet it takes them well over 2 weeks to complete their treatment - and who knows what kind of damage will happen next time.

doggghouse

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013

Hi Ransome, I ended up selling my PG278Q for that reason... I couldn't stop paying attention to those vertical lines. I tried different settings, but the only thing that seemed to make any difference was turning on ULMB, and that actually made the lines worse!

You are probably right that the problem was less visible on your monitor before it was repaired... I have seen people mention that it can vary from panel to panel, so maybe your original didn't have it quite as bad as the new one? It's not just an ASUS thing, I think it's a pretty common occurrence for any TN-based panel running at high refresh rates (120+). That's why I ended up getting an IPS one (Acer XB271HU)... for whatever reason they don't have that problem.

I guess you could try getting the panel replaced again, and hope that you get a slightly better one... though it'll still likely have some amount of pixel inversion. You might be better off just trying to live with it... I found it less noticeable if I sat back a little further. Or, if you really can't stand it, maybe find a friend or relative to sell it to for a big loss, and then just get something else (IPS or < 120Hz). Just don't get the Dell equivalent of this monitor, because it has the same issues!

Good luck...

Neclord06

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016
This is clearly an intentional effect. One they are aware of, but don't care to inform the public. I have yet to see any acknowledgement or explanation as to why these panels are plagued with this issue from Asus or anyone else.

It's not a defect, and it doesn't seem to be a side-effect. If it were a side-effect, then you can't say there would be perfectly uniform appearance of a grid that is intentionally configured as either vertical lines, horizontal lines, or a checkerboard. Further, this has ZERO equivalency to the fact these are high refresh rate monitors. It can be seen on new Vertical Alignment 60hz panels just as well.

I've no clue what the real use of it is, but maybe it is a form of PWM effect, but one that only engages half the screen during each refresh cycle. Basically, what I'm hearing from Asus's *no comment* is that we should lower our expectations for gaming displays. And if someone who knows what this pixel inversion is about came out and said it's just a matter of cost effectiveness - then I might be inclined to agree. Although, you would not see this effect occur on high end TV's or professional displays - would you?

Mouldread

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2013
Hey guys,

I recently ordered AOC AGON AG271QX and I have the exact same problem as mentioned by you. I even made a thread here but nobody replied. I didn't even know how to explain my problem. Then I found your thread.

After managing to get into the service menu of my monitor, I found out that the display was made by the same manufacturer as the Asus. It's even almost an exact match too - the Asus' dispaly is AU Optronics M270Q002 V0 and mine was AU Optronics M270Q002 V1.5. I've also heard of people with BenQ XL2730Z AU having the same problem. The BenQ is using an AU Optronics M270DTN01.0 display.

So I presume it's the way the manufacturer - AU Optornics, produces these displays.

I returned my AOC Agon AG271QX because I couldn't bare the "pixel inversion" but I also had to return 2 IPS monitors due to a terrible IPS glow problem. Now I am afraid to order a new monitor no matter if it's IPS or TN and I really want a 27" 144Hz 2560x1440 monitor.

What did you end up buying - any suggestions?

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

Yes.... hence why I don't bother replacing it for now. The chance I will get new defects or damage in the lab or in-route is higher, and replacement parts might have new or worse issues.

I've somewhat grown accustomed to this effect, eventually. I actually can't pin-point the exact "moment" it happened. Though I wouldn't be surprised if I start noticing it all over again, and will need to get used to it once more. It is more apparent in some games like 3rd person action-adventure or shooters, and it is slightly more noticeable the lower the fps is.
Although, I didn't play many games a lot on my PC-monitor since my last post (and since getting the monitor back from service). Only played Dying Light. But in The Witcher 3, last time I played, it was more noticeable.

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

I've no idea what I'll do or what I'll buy next time. I shudder to think of it, lol. Purchasing PC hardware can be an anxious, nerve breaking process, and buying Gaming/high quality expensive monitors - can be even more difficult and frustrating.

I'm at the same boat as you my friend, but at least for now I am not replacing my monitor. I am just going to bear through with the Pixel Inversion vertical lines. Though I might eventually break and look for a new alternative PC-Monitor.
What monitor are you using now if you replaced all the rest? Maybe you replaced yours too soon?

On my old, work-station I am using the somewhat ancient DELL 2407WFP 1920 x 1200 24 IPS LCD monitor for ages. On my gaming station I use the Asus ROG Swift PG278Q TN, or my:TV Samsung UA55D6400 (LED 1080p 55").

I'v read somewhere that the IPS version of ROG Swift (the new one) doesn't have Pixel Inversion - but it could just be false information or that someone didn't notice it as well as we do.
If I had to buy another monitor I will go with IPS, perhaps new Asus IPS, G-Sync, high refresh rate models, but I don't know if Pixel Inversion still plagues these monitors.
Can anyone confirm this? Does anyone here use the IPS Rog Swift PG279Q or something better/similar - and can tell if Pixel Inversion is back?
https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/ROG-SWIFT-PG279Q/

Mouldread

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2013
Hey Ransome,

I've been using an Acer GD245HQ 24" 120 Hz Monitor for over 4 years now, and am still using it, as I just can't seem to be able to find a monitor to replace it with, due to the reasons I mentioned. AVA displays seems to generally suffer from ghosting/smeared moving images, IPS all seem to have IPS glow to some extend, and the 1440p 144 Hz TN monitors seem to have the pixel inversion problem. So I'm stuck.

I was really looking forward to Viewsonic releasing their XG2703-GS, and they finally got it on Newegg, but sadly according to the few reviews from buyers it also suffers from that dreaded IPS glow. I'm so disappointed...

I just can't find a monitor that would tick all the boxes - 27", 2560x1440, 144Hz.

toypirao

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017
I got it! It's the G-SYNC!
I bought a Dell S2716DG (a 1440p 144Hz TN panel with G-SYNC) that "inversion pattern" was driving me crazy. It was kind of a screen door effect but only vertically. The worst thing is that it created some disparity between odd/even lines so it created something like an (vertical) interlaced artifact. I returned it.
Now I have the Acer Predator XB281HK (4k 60Hz TN panel with G-SYNC). Pixels are smaller so the effect is subtler. And thank God, there is no "interlaced" effect anymore, only the screen door one. The funny thing is that you can see it also when the image is still.. if you move your head sideways!
---
Anyway, you disable G-SYNC in the nVidia control panel, and it's completely gone!
---
Definitely a bummer though.. especially after paying the 150€ premium for the feature.
So.. well, now I only enable G-SYNC when I'm going to play some demanding game and at least I can enjoy a perfect windows experience. The weird thing is that even if you enable G-SYNC "only when in fullscreen".. you get the artifact all over the place even if no app is being executed in fullscreen mode.