Asus ROG z370E: Use both NVMe and SATAIII drives?

Dath

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Hi all, thank you for your help in advance.

I've purchased the following components, and can't seem to configure the BIOS correctly:

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z370E
NVMe M.2 drive: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB
SATA III drive: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

For the life of me, I can't figure out how to get the slower SATAIII SSD (860) to show up once I boot to the OS. I've tried several combinations of the two M.2 spots for the 960, and several of the 6 SATA III ports on the motherboard.

When I boot to Windows 10 (fresh install, by the way), I can see the 960 as the C drive, but no 860 in "This PC."

However, when I load the BIOS, it does see the 860 (seen here plugged into port 4, https://imgur.com/a/hYMEDzq).

Is there a 'correct' port or BIOS configuration that I'm missing? Thank you!

R0GG

Distinguished
If the drive is showing up in the Bios, no need to switch drives around.
-Device manager: see if your drive Samsung 860 is listed
-Computer management> storage> see if your drive is present: it will need a format to be available to use for your system and show up in windows explorer.
-Samsung magician: will list all Samsung drives.

Dath

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Ah jeeze, I didn't realize that this was necessary, I'll try that in the morning, thanks to you both. For some reason I thought it would be plug-n-play, but I guess I have to assign it a drive letter. I'll check the disk management in the morning and see if the OS actually does see it, and I'm just not seeing it in the explorer.