Question ASUS ROG Zephyrus not booting after EC reset

ripslip

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2012
I have had this laptop since 2021, but starting this year it has been having graphics and boot issues.

Occasionally it will go to a lit black screen with the keyboard still lit up. No keyboard presses (ctrl alt delete, windows key, etc) result in a response. Sometimes, I will get a blue screen instead which shows an nvl error (graphics driver). The only way to get it to boot after this is to do an EC reset.

Once it boots after the reset (which is not always an immediate guarantee), uninstalling the graphics driver and reinstalling/updating always works and I am able to use my laptop for gaming just fine. But then sometimes after this, after doing a proper shutdown, it will not boot properly and I have to try again with an EC reset.

Right now, my computer booted properly after a shutdown and I opened BG3 and immediately got the DX11 crash that is common with it. However, I immediately went to a black screen and thus had to resort to an EC reset.

The problem: I can't get it to boot after the reset now. Unplugged, it is turned off with no lights, but upon plugging in the adapter, the keyboard lights turn on before I press the power button. This happens sometimes, but it will boot regardless after a few seconds. Right now though, it won't. Any ideas?

ripslip

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2012
uninstalling the graphics driver and reinstalling/updating always works
You might want to elaborate on how you're uninstalling the GPU driver you speak of.

Is your laptop on the latest BIOS version?
Uninstalling device and driver via device manager, then downloading and express installing from Nvidia GeForce experience.

For BIOS, I have never manually updated them. I'm not sure if ASUS or Windows have automatically done it.